What's new

'Nineteen countries' shun Nobel

@Jack... but the decision to attend or not should be made on the basis of one's beliefs and values... and as a nation we believe in the democratic process and we should stand by its principles.

Chinese govt should realize that as a nation we fundamentally support democracy and our decision to attend the ceremony is just an underscore for the same beliefs. It should not be regarded as a rebuff to the Chinese govt... if they are mature enough they should realize that.

Yaar again this is all nehruvian moral BS which no1 buys in today's world.

Let's be pragmatic. There's no point whatsoever in upping the ante needlessly.

The reason if at all India decides not to participate must be based on principles. It must not do so just to satisfy China. It should not bow to Chinese pressure.

The reason if at all India decides not to participate must be based on principles. It must not do so just to satisfy China. It should not bow to Chinese pressure.

Is is about interests and not satisfying China or bowing to Chinese pressure.

Yet India will still attend, and no one will pretend to be surprised. :lol:

I can only voice my concern in a democracy. The final call is for the govt. to make.

And I'm not getting the next chance of voicing my concerns before the next elections.

We're a democracy, remember?

Your govt. also follows a lot many policies which you might not agree to which actually needle India needlessly. I won't blame you for that.

The common citizen can only exercise as must control over his givt.

P.S. I see that you've chosen to change your stand and attitude on the forum. That's fine with me as it is your call to make but do remember that if you change your stand, you'll not be the only one to do so and that others will follow. So I'd request you to think before you decide going down that path that many Chinese and Pakistani and Indian members have chosen.

Rest is upto you. Choose wisely CD!

Again attend or don't attend but stop implying that China is some how acting childishly. This is a political attempt at embarrassing China, nothing more.
I was only referring to the following remark in the article... nothing more.
Chinese officials earlier said a "vast majority" of the world community would stay away from the ceremony.

P.S. I see that you've chosen to change your stand and attitude on the forum. That's fine with me as it is your call to make but do remember that if you change your stand, you'll not be the only one to do so and that others will follow. So I'd request you to think before you decide going down that path that many Chinese and Pakistani and Indian members have chosen.

It's probably a more realistic stand anyway.

Idealism was fine but probably not all that realistic.

The bottom line is that polls show the majority of people in China and India don't like the other country. What's the point really.

It's probably a more realistic stand anyway.

Idealism was fine but probably not all that realistic.

The bottom line is that polls show the majority of people in China and India don't like the other country. What's the point really.

i guess u r easily swayed by the results of poll.

China calls Nobel peace prize supporters 'clowns'

Supporters of this year's Nobel peace prize, which honours a jailed Chinese dissident, are "clowns" perpetrating a farce, the foreign ministry in Beijing said today.

China is furious at the decision to give Liu Xiaobo the prestigious award, which will be celebrated at a ceremony in Norway on Friday. He is serving an 11-year sentence for incitement to subvert state power for his co-authorship of Charter 08, a call for democratic reforms.

The authorities have placed his wife, Liu Xia, and other supporters under house arrest and have barred other activists and dissidents from leaving the country, apparently for fear they will attend the event.

A foreign ministry, spokeswoman Jiang Yu, said Liu's supporters were fundamentally opposed to China's development and wanted to interfere in the country's politics and legal system. She added: "We will not be pressured by clowns."

The Norwegian Nobel committee said China and 18 other countries have declined invitations to the ceremony "for various reasons". The others are Russia, Kazakhstan, Colombia, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Serbia, Iraq, Iran, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Venezuela, the Philippines, Egypt, Sudan, Ukraine, Cuba and Morocco.

China had written to diplomats in Oslo urging them to boycott the ceremony and warning of "consequences" if they did not do so, but 44 countries will send representatives. Not all countries are invited as not all have missions in Norway.

A committee member said the Chinese embassy in Oslo is returning all correspondence unopened.

According to the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, all invited countries sent representatives last year, when Barack Obama won. The previous year, about 10 countries did not attend the ceremony for Martti Ahtisaari.
China calls Nobel peace prize supporters 'clowns' | World news | The Guardian

I can only voice my concern in a democracy. The final call is for the govt. to make.

And I'm not getting the next chance of voicing my concerns before the next elections.

We're a democracy, remember?

Your govt. also follows a lot many policies which you might not agree to which actually needle India needlessly. I won't blame you for that.

The common citizen can only exercise as must control over his givt.

Yeah this is funny part.

Me and CD were the only two pro-Indian members here. There are no other Chinese members who are even remotely sympathetic. Besides you made it clear in the other thread right?

Oh no dear CD!

Please don't go! Please don't leave us you mighty wellwisher of us lesser Indians you benefactor of the next superpower.

O'ye CD, how can I tell thee how badly we need your support.

pray.gif

Decision made to be honest.

Again attend or don't attend but stop implying that China is some how acting childishly. This is a political attempt at embarrassing China, nothing more.

CS... I hope you can see now who is acting childishly. Anyways...

China calls Nobel peace prize supporters 'clowns'

Supporters of this year's Nobel peace prize, which honours a jailed Chinese dissident, are "clowns" perpetrating a farce, the foreign ministry in Beijing said today.

Russia, Kazakhstan, Colombia, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Serbia, Iraq, Iran, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Venezuela, the Philippines, Egypt, Sudan, Ukraine, Cuba and Morocco.

how many of these have democracy...?

Me and CD were the only two pro-Indian members here. There are no other Chinese members who are even remotely sympathetic. Besides you made it clear in the other thread right?

So this is how reality kicks in. :tup:

But as I said before, maybe wishing for China/India friendship was just completely unrealistic in the first place.

It's probably better this way though.

Back
Top Bottom