What's new

Navy Schematics Of 1st Indigenous Aircraft Carrier

My hunch is that 12 - 8 may be the eventual fixed wing mix but initially there may be more than 12 MIG-29Ks (a more "mature" design and use) but with some N-LCA on a trial-development basis for several years.

N-LCA would be more mature on INS Hansa's SBTF for carrier operation & it is more capable than Sea Harrier. But it would play more important role on IAC-2.

INS Vikrant is supposed to carry upto 30 aircrafts, of which mostly 20 will be aircrafts and a 10 will be helis.
So, it can carry some 20 MiG-29ks. It can accomodate a max of 12 MiG-29ks in the flight deck.

Ex-soviet carrier Admiral Gorshkov is not known to carry any MiG-29ks.

INS Vikramaditya,formerly Admiral Gorshkov ,can carry a max of 26 aircrafts,out of which 16 will be MiG-29ks and rest helos.

my guess is that may be they'll use two take off positions for two consecutive launches.

Long runway would be used when aircraft is not fully loaded & can take off without using ski jump.

is it really gonna be 76/62 srgm , I mean really? navel guns on on a AC? I thinks its a mistake by author , it maybe CIWS

Long runway would be used when aircraft is not fully loaded & can take off without using ski jump.

defenitly not!!!!

6-741206.jpg

just follow the lines from the two position,both cases end up with the ski jump.

I believe what Abingdonboy has said already is logical. That every jet will take off only when it has achieved full power. Now jet with full load will take the longer route while jet with lower wight will cover short space to take off, no matter whether it's LCA or MIGs. Also for the record MIGs can't take off in below 160 meter space.

Its not matter jet is full loaded or not both aircraft can take off from ski jump but full loaded aircraft can not take off from long runway. Through Ski jump full loaded aircraft can take off easily despite short runway.

Probably; I do not have any idea of the take-off run reqmts of the N-LCA on a carrier with Ski-Jump. Though I'd say that both MiG-29 K and N-LCA may well have to use the longer run. To maximise payload.

And the shorter one may be utilised by the Osprey! :)
Who knows? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
is it really gonna be 76/62 srgm , I mean really? navel guns on on a AC? I thinks its a mistake by author , it maybe CIWS

If I am not wrong we'll have 4 no. of OTO Melara 76 mm naval guns.

its ammo:

HE standard (all models): weight 6.296 kg, range 16 km, effective 8 km (4 km vs. air targets at 85°)
MOM: developed by OTO (Multirole OTO Munition)
PFF: anti-missile projectile, with proximity fuse and tungsten cubes
SAPOM: 6.35 kg (0.46 kg HE), range 16 km (SAPOMER: 20 km)semiarmoured piercing
DART: guided ammo for A.A. manoeuvring targets
Vulcano: 5 kg, maximum range around 40 km (it is a smaller version of the 127mm Vulcano)

800px-Nansen-oto75mm-2006-07-03.jpg

not a bad choice IMO!

If I am not wrong we'll have 4 no. of OTO Melara 76 mm naval guns.

its ammo:

HE standard (all models): weight 6.296 kg, range 16 km, effective 8 km (4 km vs. air targets at 85°)
MOM: developed by OTO (Multirole OTO Munition)
PFF: anti-missile projectile, with proximity fuse and tungsten cubes
SAPOM: 6.35 kg (0.46 kg HE), range 16 km (SAPOMER: 20 km)semiarmoured piercing
DART: guided ammo for A.A. manoeuvring targets
Vulcano: 5 kg, maximum range around 40 km (it is a smaller version of the 127mm Vulcano)

800px-Nansen-oto75mm-2006-07-03.jpg

not a bad choice IMO!

:undecided: are u serious? whats the use of having this? and where we gonna put CIWS then?

@RISING SUN @Brahmos_2 @OzPete The INS Vikrant will have a fixed wing compliment of 20. Composed completely of Fulcrums (PSK corroborates and reports) as per the IN's VCNS Admiral Robin K Dhowan. So lets stick to that. The reason that it can accommodate the said number of fixed wing platforms despite being "lighter" than the Vikramaditya is that the Vikrant's LM-2500 gas-turbines propulsion system takes up less space than the Vikramaditya's steam turbines. That leaves more below deck space to store the platforms. All the journalists and jingos are rattling the 12 fixed wing figure due to the representations, pictorial or otherwise, of the IAC-1 available so far which only provides a view of the deck placements of the said platforms. So lets not second guess the words of the VCNS here.

As to the launch procedures, unless we want to send up the Ks with sub-optimal loads and fuel they ( the Ks) will launch off the ramp.

@ALL wrt CIWS ( @veekysingh, @acetophenol ) and its conspicuous absence as such- there are other options and the 76/62 SRGM can cater to that. The Strales system is already in operation with the Italian Navy was picked by them over their Fast Forty CIWS.

Here is the technical description provided along with the video:-

The STRALES system represents an evolution for the 76/62 naval artilleries which includes: a 76/62 naval gun, DART guided ammunition and a Radio Frequency Guidance System with associated electronics.

This System is the most effective response to the emerging requirements for medium calibre naval guns, demanding the highest level of lethality within evolving scenarios in Air Defence as well as in Anti Surface actions.

STRALES is extremely effective against today generation of anti-ship missiles and also in ASuW, especially where simultaneous engagement of multiple manoeuvring targets is involved, cooperating with the unique sustained firing capability of 76mm gun.
DART is a sub-calibre projectile with canard which is directed to the target by the guidance beam generated by an antenna placed on the gun mount within a protective shield Its effectiveness is further increased by pre-fragmented warhead and 3AP microwave programmable fuze.

To fulfil the new challenging requirements like manoeuvring anti-ship missiles even the supersonic ones, Oto Melara has developed the DART (Driven Ammunition with Reduced Time of flight) guided projectile, capable to be re-vectored towards the target during its time of flight.

DART ammunition can be fired by the 76mm Strales system, that presents new features:
- double ammunition feeding system,
- digital console
- guidance antenna
- gun shield
- electronic equipment specifically designed for the DART ammunition guidance.

Mind you the Strales system is not confirmed on the IAC-1 but it can easily be employed and will probably be subject to serious consideration.

:undecided: are u serious? whats the use of having this? and where we gonna put CIWS then?

use: short-range anti-missile point defence,anti-aircraft, anti-surface,ground support roles. Ammo is armour piercing, incendiary and directed fragmentation effects and there is also a new guided round that is supposed to be able to destroy maneuvering anti-ship missiles.

Also,its too compact to affect the placing of CIWS.

@veekysingh: similar systems in service

Brazilian aircraft carrier São Paulo (A12): 4 x 100 mm turrets

French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91):8 x 20mm cannons

Italian aircraft carrier Giuseppe Garibaldi (551): 3 x OTO Melara 76 mm

Italian aircraft carrier Cavour (550): 3 x OTO Melara 76 mm

to name some.

@veekysingh: similar systems in service

Brazilian aircraft carrier São Paulo (A12): 4 x 100 mm turrets

French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91):8 x 20mm cannons

Italian aircraft carrier Giuseppe Garibaldi (551): 3 x OTO Melara 76 mm

Italian aircraft carrier Cavour (550): 3 x OTO Melara 76 mm

to name some.

Italian and Brazilian AC are old and almost not fitted for todays war. why not any advance navy have such big guns on thr AC? French navy AC's 20 mm cannons are fine , cause they are small , light weight and have nice rate for fire , which 76MM gun is too bulky ( 7 ton each) , have slow rate of fire , and the range is not more then 20km( as per wiki) so I doubt they would be any use in ground support role . a navel gun such a slow rate of fire can take down a fighter plane I really doubt that , I can be wrong though.

I think we should for get N-LCA for now and may be able to see on IAC-3, So it means that about 20 MiG-29Ks and 10 Helicopters will be stationed on it. So what are these helicopters and their capabilities and operations on carriers.

Does IN has support group which normal carrier has and known as Battle Group, having:
1 Carrier
3 Destroyers/ 5 Frigates
1 Tanker Ship supplying Fuel and supplies
1 Jet Fuel Tanker Ship
1 N-Submarine

@RISING SUN @Brahmos_2 @OzPete The INS Vikrant will have a fixed wing compliment of 20. Composed completely of Fulcrums (PSK corroborates and reports) as per the IN's VCNS Admiral Robin K Dhowan. So lets stick to that. The reason that it can accommodate the said number of fixed wing platforms despite being "lighter" than the Vikramaditya is that the Vikrant's LM-2500 gas-turbines propulsion system takes up less space than the Vikramaditya's steam turbines. That leaves more below deck space to store the platforms. All the journalists and jingos are rattling the 12 fixed wing figure due to the representations, pictorial or otherwise, of the IAC-1 available so far which only provides a view of the deck placements of the said platforms. So lets not second guess the words of the VCNS here.

As to the launch procedures, unless we want to send up the Ks with sub-optimal loads and fuel they ( the Ks) will launch off the ramp.

@ALL wrt CIWS ( @veekysingh, @acetophenol ) and its conspicuous absence as such- there are other options and the 76/62 SRGM can cater to that. The Strales system is already in operation with the Italian Navy was picked by them over their Fast Forty CIWS.

Here is the technical description provided along with the video:-

Mind you the Strales system is not confirmed on the IAC-1 but it can easily be employed and will probably be subject to serious consideration.

As far as I know INS Vikrant has some sort of CIWS though don't know for sure what system it is and 76/62 SRGM is complementing it.

Back
Top Bottom