What's new

Navy confirms INS Vishal Going Nuclear

Its not that simple.

Assume you have a steam based catapult. Then you need something which produces steam. This can come from a CODAG or CODOG or nuclear reactor.

If you have EMALS, you need electricity, not steam.

Now, think. If it was in the final stages this would have been finalised. Both are very different and require hell of a lot of internal wiring, piping, mechanices. Going by what's written in the article, I would say only the hull has been finalised. Else, we are going the way of the Gorshkov.

What say @Capt.Popeye @Penguin
If the design is in the final stages and the DG of NDB is on record saying that nuclear option is being considered, then I think it would be prudent to assume that this isn't some last minute rethink. Of course going from conventional to nuclear at the final stage will present some difficulties, but that's not even the point. How difficult is it to wrap one's head around this, eh?:crazy:

Also, nothing in the article points out to the hull or any other thing being finalized. Except CATOBAR.

DamN, you measure worth of your post by the thanks you get?..honestly I didn't get anything from your post other than a long whine about God knows what. I am not discussing the title BTW. I was highlighting the points in the article.

that's the point . where did I ever contest your highlights ? and why did you post that in reply to my post ?

as if I was the one who was negating it ...

when you comment on somebody's post , it is supposed to be in context of that particular post .

I am not measuring worth of post by thanks ...

I am just pointing that those people who have thanked , have not understood the tragic comedy that the whole post has been .

If the design is in the final stages and the DG of NDB is on record saying that nuclear option is being considered, then I think it would be prudent to assume that this isn't some last minute rethink. Of course going from conventional to nuclear at the final stage will present some difficulties, but that's not even the point. How difficult is it to wrap one's head around this, eh?:crazy:

Also, nothing in the article points out to the hull or any other thing being finalized. Except CATOBAR.

Its not confirmed if the propulsion is nuclear or not. Pray tell me how is the design in the final stage? Let's list 'some difficulties'

1. Wiring
2. Propulsion
3. Piping
4. Materials
5. Fuel Storage
6. Batteries and power storage

These are just starting points. Now add to this the internal architecture and modelling to fit different quarters and combat systems around these. Now, link EMALS or steam catapults and you realise the 'some difficulties' it presents.

Anyways, I would take the idrw guys with a bucket full of salt. Feel free to imagine the design is final without any of the above. Its Gorshkov all over again.

@Abingdonboy what's your take???
are we?
It wouldn't be a huge surprise but this isn't confirmation at all- IDRW is known for spinning such fantasies.

The only issue I have with IAC-2/INS Vishal being nuclear powered is the fact that this could push back the deadline for induction of the IAC-2 which would not be ideal.

It makes sense given the IN's desire to have EMALS on this ship and the enormous electricity consumption of such a system.

Still no word on what the IN is looking to fly off the behemoth which is annoying.

But where are they planning to build this?

Let them induct the first one .... Even the first one is getting delayed.

Director General of Naval Design Bureau Rear Admiral Atul Saxena only confirmed that navy is considering using nuclear-powered engine for it.

I think that is the keyword there. Navy must have been presented with some options and N propulsion could be one of them. However nowhere in the report, it says that Nuclear propulsion is confirmed, even though it might be on the table.
The important points that Navy must be considering might be as follows:
1. How early can a reactor be designed for such an application. even with conservative estimates, the power of such a reactor would be around 150 MWe.
2. How reliably the reactor works on INS Arihant. This will give designers an insight into bigger naval variants.
3. Cost.
4. How early does IN needs IAC 2. If navy is ready for an extended wait, it actually won't be a bad idea to go for N propulsion. A heavier ship with far more complex technologies is likely to be delayed with cost over-runs expected. If IN can afford that, IAC 2 could indeed be N Powered. If not, future IACs beyond IAC 2 must definitely be planned for it.

But where are they planning to build this?

At present scenario it would be in CSL .Because they are the only one Shipyard that have experience in constructing an Aircraft Carrier.But if it is nuclear then things may be change because CSL dont have such capability.

out of the 3 services Navy has been proved to be smart in thier ordering and fleet management and build up

I think for IAC 2 the navy will go the conventional way and then go for Nuke power option from IAC 3 onwards

Fair deal for how long?
Western block is screwing a country like Russia (with their sanctions) which is P-5 and has more nukes stockpile than the US. India is not even close here. If they do it with Russia, India is nobody for them. And looking at the history (Sea King), they would repeat such ..

EMALS is a one time deal. Once it is fitted on AC, it would not require any major upgrade. Compared to jets, which require engine change every 3000 hours of flight, this is a very safe deal.

At present scenario it would be in CSL .Because they are the only one Shipyard that have experience in constructing an Aircraft Carrier.But if it is nuclear then things may be change because CSL dont have such capability.

CSL productivity is a serious issue, some one told me those guys work only for 2 to 3 hours practically on the projects, rest of the time either they are having their food or they are resting....

EMALS is a one time deal. Once it is fitted on AC, it would not require any major upgrade. Compared to jets, which require engine change every 3000 hours of flight, this is a very safe deal.

India bought six Sea King, that also was a one time deal.
Its a usage and subsequent wear and tear involved which itself begs for spare parts...
Are you gonna tell me there will be none (repairs in the future on 300 feet system run by computers aka EMALS) ?
The shuttle itself is a 20 feet long which carries an aircraft (Through interface)
This is a more complex system than the steam one, parts of which can be manufactured in India during sanction/embargo.

CSL productivity is a serious issue, some one told me those guys work only for 2 to 3 hours practically on the projects, rest of the time either they are having their food or they are resting....

Then they dont deserve further projects from defence.But according to neutral sources .They are done a good job concerning Vikrant.The hull is almost finished.
One of my friend is working on it in by Contract base.They can finish hull work within this year.But adding high tech stuff will take sometime.

Its not that simple.

Assume you have a steam based catapult. Then you need something which produces steam. This can come from a CODAG or CODOG or nuclear reactor.

If you have EMALS, you need electricity, not steam.

Now, think. If it was in the final stages this would have been finalised. Both are very different and require hell of a lot of internal wiring, piping, mechanices. Going by what's written in the article, I would say only the hull has been finalised. Else, we are going the way of the Gorshkov.

What say @Capt.Popeye @Penguin

Not all that you postulate, is correct. A Steam Cat needs a source of steam, plentiful and hi-pressure steam. That can only come from a Boiler; either oil-fired or Nuke-fuelled.
No CODAG or CODOG propulsion plant will provide that.

In case of EMALS; what is needed is large amounts of electrical power. This will call for large and multiple electric generators. The prime movers for the generators can be either Steam, Diesel, G/T or Nuclear; any of them. The final choice will largely be determined only by economics, efficiency, size and serviceability considerations.

Actually EMALS allows a far greater flexibility in Power & Propulsion plant design. Just consider this------ an EMALS installation with electrical azipod propulsion as in the French Mistral class. It will be compact with a lower aquostic signature than CODAG or CODOG. But with the attendant down-side of being unwieldy for the displacement planned for INS Vishal.

A good working design for this size could be EMALS, Nuclear Propulsion derived from multiple (3-4) reactors; much as the USS Enterprise was originally built as.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom