What's new

Narendra Modi said teach Muslims a lesson: IPS officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPI(M) demands investigation of Modi

CPI(M) demands investigation of Modi’s role in 2002 riots
Apr 23, 2011 | PTI | New Delhi

Tags: CPI(M) Godhra Riot Narendra Modi

The CPI(M) on Saturday demanded immediate investigation of Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi’s role in the 2002 post-Godhra riots and his prosecution following accusations by a senior state police officer.
Noting that the affidavit filed by the officer, Sanjeev Bhatt, had alleged that Modi had "instructed senior police officials in a meeting not to act to protect Muslims from violence", the party said the statement "confirms the culpability of the chief minister in the pogroms".
"There should be no further delay in the investigations into the role of Narendra Modi and initiating steps to prosecute him," the CPI(M) Politburo said in a statement here.
It said Bhatt's affidavit filed in the Supreme Court has "provided direct evidence of the role of the Gujarat chief minister in the 2002 pogroms against the minority community".

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Excerpts from Gujarat cop's affidavit implicating Narendra Modi | The Asian Age>

Bhatt was not present at Modi meet: Ex-DGP

New Delhi: Former Gujarat director general of police K Chakravarti claims that Sanjiv Bhatt was not present at the February 27, 2002 meeting at the residence of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi."Sanjiv Bhatt was not present at the meeting. I have already deposed before the Nanavati commission and the SIT. I have nothing more to add. The court will be considering various affidavits and will come to a conclusion which will be binding on all. I have nothing more to say as the matter is subjudice," Chakravarti said while reacting to Bhatt's affidavit filed before the Supreme Court on the meeting and 2002 Gujarat riots.Chakravarti said that the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) will submit its findings before the court which will then deliver its verdict.

"I have already made my deposition in this regard before the Special investigation Team and they are bound to make their findings available before the apex court and the honourable apex court will come up with whatever verdict they have on the subject," the former Gujarat DGP told CNN-IBN.

"In the meeting he was not there. I have already deposed that before the SIT. The Special Investigation Team will come up with their findings and place it before the Supreme Court and the honourable court will decide on the basis of whatever facts are placed before it and after checking the versions of everybody and who is speaking the truth. So we will have to wait for the verdict and opinion of the honourable apex court," Charavarti replied when repeatedly asked if Bhatt was indeed present at the meeting.

He also declined to comment if Bhatt was lying in his affidavit in which the 1988 batch Indian Police Service officer has claimed that Modi said during the meeting that Hindus should be allowed to express their anger and Muslims should be taught a befitting lesson so that incidents like the burning of Sabarmati Express never happen again in Gujarat.

"I have no such comments to make. I have only made my version clear and now it is for the apex court to say whatever it has to say. I have nothing further to make. I have no idea. It is for the SIT to find out and they will come up with their findings and the Supreme Court will decide," said Chakravarti.

He said that he was never issued any instruction to let the police force remain a mute spectator during the riots.

"I have already clarified before the SIT. I have deposed before the Nanavati Commission. I have been cross examined before the Nanavati Commission. No such instructions were issued to me," said Chakravarti.

The SIT report confirms that eight people participated in the meeting. These include Modi, acting chief secretary Swarna Kanta Verma, additional chief secretary (Home) Ashok Narayan, the then DGP K Chakravarti, Ahmedabad police commissioner PC Pande, secretary (home) K Nityanandam, principal secretary to chief minister PK Mishra and secretary to chief minister Anil Mukim.

Nityanandam, who is currently Gujarat Police Housing Corporation MD, also declined to comment on Bhatt's affidavit.

"I would not like to react or comment at all to a statement that Mr Bhatt has made before the press or any authority," he said.

Complete News : Bhatt was not present at Modi meet: Ex-DGP - India News - IBNLive

Mangalore Today | Mangalore,Udupi News and information updated Every hour,Every day.

Anna Praising Modi Unacceptable: Medha Patkar

Mangalore Today News Network

New Delhi, April 13: Narmada Bachao Andolan leader Medha Patkar has said Anna Hazare’s public praise of Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi is unacceptable as it will compromise the battle against corruption.

"It was shocking to find that Anna Hazareji after receiving support by all of us, with millions, publicly appreciated the rule as well as rural development work by the Chief Minister of Gujarat, Mr Narendra Modi on the issue of corruption, Modi’s response to the initiative to bring in a strong enactment or to wipe out corruption is, to say the least, only politically motivated. If only he was committed to an institution like the Jan Lokpal, how could the Lokpal’s post be vacant in Gujarat since 2005?" asked Medha.

Patkar has got the support of former IAS officer Aruna Roy and several other social activists. They have called Hazare’s praise of Modi as shocking, unfortunate and unacceptable.
Hazare, meanwhile, called for unity in the fight agaisnt corruption.

"Some forces are trying to create divide. We should stay together so that we can defeat all these forces and keep our campaign alive against corruption. If we still believe in the mud slinging and rumors created by the people who are against Lokpal Bill then it will further delay our fight against corruption," Hazare said in a letter addressed to his supporters and well wishers.

Hazare supporter and social activist Swami Agnivesh, too, backed the 72-year-old Gandhian saying he could not endorse any wrong by Modi government or any other government.

"Medha and we all understand that Anna can never endorse anything worng in Modi raj or any other raj," said Agnivesh.

Hazare had on Sunday praised Narendra Modi and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for the development work the duo had done in their respective states. Modi also posted an open letter on his blog addressed to Hazare, hailing the veteran Gandhian and anti-corruption activist.

Gujarat, the next IT hub

The rapidly growing information technology sector is always looking for new venues for development and Gujarat is fast emerging as the next IT hub. The state has definite advantages over others -- more than 65 per cent of the population is under 35, the state has an efficient and solid infrastructure, and also an improved standard of knowledge of English.

Gujarat, with the country's highest gross domestic product of more than 16 per cent, has a lot of achievements to boast about as well. The state has scored very high in several aspects -- rise in per capita income, industrial investment, uninterrupted power supply to industry and villages, computerisation of electricity board, investment in basic infrastructure, increased literacy ratio, water conservation and utilisation and others.

Now it is time for the state to take a plunge in to the IT and the ITES sector.

Gujarat government has already contributed to the development of the IT sector by setting up an InfoCity at Gandhinagar (one of the greenest cities in world, with 27 trees per person) and announcing a new industrial policy in 2003.

The state government, along with major private players, is in the process of setting up multiple special economic zones in Ahmedabad [ Images ], Gandhinagar and Vadodara. Big players in this field include Raheja Group, Tata Consultancy Services [ Get Quote ], Ganesh Housing, the Adani Group, et cetera.

The state will soon have a Software Technology Park of India [ Images ] at Rajkot, Surat [ Images ] and Jamnagar. In December, the government set up the Gujarat IT Meet in partnership with Nasscom.

The state government is offering land at the cheapest price possible for these projects. Gujarat has the highest tele-density and the best telecommunication facility. IT companies, therefore, are set to enter a virgin but a well known area.
An intelligent, skilled, hard working and dedicated workforce, cheap realty prices in comparison with other developed cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune are other factors that the IT sector can fall back on.

Companies like TCS, Cybase and MphasiS have already started their activities in the state. Goes without saying that inhabited by a cosmopolitan crowd, low crime record and multiple entertainment options, people from across India will not hesitate to come to Gujarat for work.

Because of liquor prohibition in the state, night life is safe and people can freely roam around till midnight .

Armed with the best road, rail and air connectivity, Gujarat is one of the most convenient places to stay. Ahmedabad has more than 30 trains for Mumbai [ Images ] and 11 trains to New Delhi [ Images ]. Ahmedabad-Mumbai express highway, to be completed in the coming years, will reduce Ahmedabad-Mumbai journey from nine hours to five hours by road.

Ahmedabad has some some world famous education institutes. Starting with none other than Indian Institute of Management-A, the list includes Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad Management Association,Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad, Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology, National Institute of Design etc.IIT will shortly open a centre in the state.

Other education institutes like MS University, Nirma College, DA-IICT, Sardar Patel Institute of Public Administration etc also have a lot to contribute to the standard of education in the state. At present, Gujarat has 13 universities and four agricultural universities.

Recently, Gujarat won multiple recognitions which made India proud at the international level. Surat is said to be one of the fastest emerging business destinations world wide. According to India Today, Gujarat is the best place in India to invest in. The state also bagged United Nations' Sasakawa Award, Commonwealth's CAPM Gold Award, World Bank's Green Award, UNESCO's Asia-Pacific Heritage Award and India Tech Excellence Award 2005 in Power sector reforms.

Gujarat is a state with the largest number of successful entrepreneurs like Ambanis (Reliance [ Get Quote ]), Aspi Godrej [ Get Quote ] (Godrej), Arvind (Kasturbhai Lalbhai), Torrent [ Get Quote ], Nirma, Mafatlal, Cadila Healthcare [ Get Quote ], Ambalal Sarabhai, Jamsetji Tata (founder of Tata group), etc. The list seems endless.

The new IT biggies will add more jewels to the state's crown.

Government to blame for fair price shops' corruption: Narendra Modi's brother
Published: Sunday, Apr 10, 2011, 15:55 IST
By Jitendra Dave | Place: Ahmedabad | Agency: DNA

Chief minister Narendra Modi proclaims that his government is corruption free, saying, "Khato nathi ane khava deto nathi" (I don't take bribe and don't allow others to do so either).

Ironically, his elder brother Prahlad Modi differs, having openly accepted the widespread pilferage in fair price shops (FPS) of Gujarat working as part of the Public Distribution System (PDS). Moreover, he goes on to blame the state government for this.

Prahlad Modi, president of Gujarat Fair Price Shops and Kerosene Licence Holders' Association (GFPSKLHA), was at a public hearing at Ahmedabad Management Association on August 24, 2009, where he openly acknowledged the malpractices involving FPS. The hearing was organised by the Central Vigilance Committee on the PDS.

He had said that all the contentions, raised by the various stakeholders present, were true and instead of the FPS owners the government is to be blamed. "In the last decade, even after several representations, the state government has not raised the commission from 4%," he had said at the meeting. "If the FPS owners do not sell kerosene in the black market, then they will not be able to survive due to the heavy losses faced," he had stated.

When contacted by DNA, after two years of his making the comment, Prahlad Modi stood firm, "It is in the hands of the government," maintained the elder of the siblings.Modi also extended the support of the FPS owners to the movement initiated by Anna Hazare against corruption. However, he did not expect the malpractices in the FPS to come to an end. "As long as the government turns a deaf ear to our appeals the people are not going to get their ration as per the government declared schemes," he said.

@spark if you all are here...:lol: It's not that hard yaar...Just Google and keep posting....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Narendra Modi is scared of losing'

October 03, 2007

Bharat Solanki
Related Articles
• Coverage: The Gujarat Riots
• 'There is no civil society in Gujarat'
• 'All of you want a magic wand in Gujarat' -- Narendra Modi
• It's war between Ram and Rome: Modi
• BJP rebels join Cong to oust Modi
• Can Jaitley turn around BJP's fortunes in Gujarat?
• More reports from Gujarat
Top Emailed Features

• Was Election 2009 rigged?
• Baba Ramdev is wrong, homosexuality is no disease
• On a pilgrimage to the cave shrine
Have you tried this?
• Ask a question
• News on your Desktop
In 1989, when freedom fighter Iswarbhai Chawda lost an election for the first time in three decades from Borsad region of Gujarat -- it shocked everyone. He was the leading political and social force of the Kshatriya-Rajput community against the prosperous and highly vocal Patels in and around Anand district.

Such was the complete hold of Chawda and his son-in-law and former chief minister Madhavsinh Solanki in some five to six constituencies in Anand that voters would vote for anybody Chawda recommended.

But that was a different time and Chief Minister Narendra Modi was not around in Gujarat politics.

His grandson Bharatsinh Solanki, 54, is all set to fight a battle royale against Modi in the assembly election to be held at the end of the year.

Solanki, as president of the Gujarat Congress, is traveling to every nook and corner of the state to try and re-energise the badly-demoralised organisational structure of the party.

Modi is just two years older than him but many miles ahead in political experience.

Congressmen and secularists in from Gandhinagar to New Delhi are watching if this civil engineer can stop Modi's juggernaut.

Modi is a born politician, while Solanki is a reluctant one.

The senior Solanki was a practitioner of famous KHAM theory of Gujarat which helped Congress monopolise the votes of the Kshatriyas, Dalits, tribals and Muslims. The combination ignored the Patel community who eventually gravitated towards the Bharatiya Janata Party.

Bharat, whose wife is a Patel, has not been as successful in caste politics as his father. He has been politics since 1992 but after quite a struggle he has been able to shed the image of a village bully. Right now, he is trying to bring together the various factions in the state Congress. But his family legacy of being anti-Patel is making his own appeal doubtful amongst vocal Patel voters who are showing signs of switching sides from the BJP to the Congress. Solanki is showing the desired enthusiasm. But the party, with an eye on the Patel votes, has decided not to project him as a chief ministerial candidate before the polls

Shall we start with a debate on the Patels? How do you look at the community's political power in Gandhinagar?

In last 100 years, the Patels of Gujarat have grown very fast. Behind it is their entrepreneurship, unity, focus and hard work. Even after Sardar Patel they were lucky to have many leaders who have guided them to succeed in all sectors of life. The Patels are flexible by nature. If they accept you then you can get anything done from them but their displeasure is also difficult to bear. I take this as a positive sign.

Your father practiced the KHAM theory. It was social engineering that won many elections for the Congress. But the Patels got isolated and the Solanki family was considered 'anti-Patel'. It was the Patels' political, economical and social power the helped the BJP to power in Gandhinagar. Today, the same Patel leaders are disenchanted with the BJP and Modi. Their support looks shaken and uncertain.

I think it is your misunderstanding when you say that KHAM was my father's brainchild. It was thought about by Congress leaders like Jeenabhai Darjee and (former finance minister) Sanat Mehta. They got various communities under an umbrella but the common factor was that they were all poor. In essence, poor people were with the Congress and they trusted the Congress. Before Independence, Sardar Patel brought Patels into the Congress fold and they along with Sardar participated in the freedom movement. But a large section of the Patels moved towards the old Congress (known in Gujarat as Sanstha Congress) when the Congress got divided.

In Gujarat, the middle class and upper middle class constituted largely Patidars (Patels), Jains and traders. You are right that the Patels got alienated from Congress at that time. As a result, Chimanbhai Patel and the BJP took advantage. But the reference to context has changed. Patels are leading Gujarat and they, always, walk with time. They are a flexible people. Patels, who once strengthened BJP in a big way, are looking towards Congress, once again, because they feel the Congress will help in globalisation. The Patels are itching to contribute to India's globalisation.

In my first press-conference a journalist asked me do you believe in KHAM theory or not? I said I believe in aam theory. (referring to the common man). We want to carry along with us, the poor and middle class. After my nomination as state president, the maximum number of district presidents in the Congress are Patels. Before my nomination all kinds of ill-founded fears were there but now, they have seen my style and are re-joining the Congress in big numbers.

What could be the reasons of their disenchantment with BJP?

In a society which grows fast, priorities also change fast. They are everywhere in Gujarat; take politics, sports, music, trade or profession. Now, they want to dominate. They want political leadership again. When Keshubhai Patel was removed from the chief ministership some people thought that it had some Hindutva dimension. But when Modi came, the Patels' political participation, economic growth and leadership got reduced. The Patels were neglected.

They thought since Keshubhai Patel was removed by Modi, let us remove Modi. But they are also looking at an alternative. The Patels original home is the Congress; they contributed in making of the Congress in Gujarat.

You have been president for 18 months. How do you review your performance?

The grassroots workers of Congress were disappointed with the party. They wanted hope. We started a training programme for youth. We said we don't want leaders. We want "sathi, mitra, bhai" (companion, friend and brother).

We gave training to Congress workers and made them skilled. We told them about the Congress, its leaders, secularism and its importance. We told them about time management and concepts of team building. We arranged training camps in all big districts and seven cities. Urban and rural areas have different issues on hand, we also took OBC, Dalits, youth and women separately. We used to call doctors, psychiatrists and experts in various fields to tell them about BJP, the United Progressive Alliance government at the Centre, laws and current affairs.

We decided to reach every village of Gujarat. There is not a single village left here where we haven't put the 'Hand' (Congress symbol) mark and Soniaji's picture.

When Modi relaxed the prohibition policy we put graffiti all over Gujarat quoting Gandhiji that "alcohol is an invention of Satan". No need to guess who is Satan today! We quoted Sardar Patel for communal harmony. Unity is a must for peace and prosperity in Gujarat.

Do you really think such training camps can rejuvenate the Congress and get votes?

We have attracted hundreds of young people, gave them uniforms, gave them a code and�

Merely one huge rally by Modi can off set such euphoria�

That's a tale of the past. It's history. You have no idea that how my workers hoot him out in some areas.

Shall we talk about Modi?

Modi is a small man. Let us not talk too much about him.

Many experts and surveys say that he is the most popular leader of Gujarat even now.

You know better about surveys. From villages to cities our surveys tell a different story. His policies and programmes are rejected and getting him nowhere. He is using people's money and people are watching it, quietly.

Is he a popular leader or not?

Not at all. He is a hypocrite. He is showing off. He is putting up posters because he has nothing else to show. Even in media surveys his ratings have plummeted. In Rajkot, he won only by 14,000 votes. He is the weakest CM by that yardstick. The BJP got success in local bodies elections where merely 38 percent voted. Event, Modi tried to disassociate himself by reminding people that this is not an assembly election this is an election for roads and gutters. He was scared of losing.

You have declared a war against his government. What do you think are his weaknesses?

Arrogance. Arrogance means Astaya - untruth. It will be responsible for his fall. He thinks that what he says and believes is the truth. This belief has driven him away from the truth and the people. We are not saying these things. BJP leader Keshubhai Patel is saying it. Real information is not reaching him at all. He is surrounded by chamchas.

Some ten years back we used to hear that 'Madhavsinh's son is a bully'. Do you think your image has changed since then?

Some people may say all sorts of things. I have goodwill of my team and people trust me. In last Lok Sabha election, I got overwhelming response. I agree it is just one constituency out of 26 in Gujarat. I am hopeful that Gujarat will trust me.

Will you agree that Modi's image is of a non-corrupt politician?

He started corruption with the Sujalam Suflam water project. The issue is that Modi indulges in corruption at higher levels and takes huge bribes and doesn't get involved in small amounts.

It is plain to see how he favoured five industrialists and awarded them huge plots of land. The public knows how politicians use industrialists and run political parties. Modi is giving rich people tax concessions, cheap land and water to enhance his image. He has put up hoardings worth crores of rupees. Even, India's prime minister does not have as many hoardings. He wears some fancy dresses, headgear and shawls and then poses for hoardings. The fact is that the chief minister uses money in enhancing his image. He uses it to eliminate his opponents.

Also just wait when we reopen the Haren Pandya case (Pandya was a BJP MLA who was killed in Ahmedabad). Everything was manipulated when it was investigated but the truth will come out one day.

We are also opposing the Godhra trial. After Godhra, the riots followed. The state chief minister was the 'mukhya sutradhar' of the Gujarat riots. Even the truth in the Akshardham massacre will come out after Modi falls.

We were talking about corruption in Modi's government. It was also alleged that two big industrial houses benefited when the Congress was in power in Gujarat.

At that time Gujarat needed employment away from agriculture. Look, how the Congress helped improve growth and income.

Modi can claim that too. Gujarat has a higher growth rate than India.

Read carefully. The growth of Gujarat is only because of petroleum products and agriculture, but it has not created new employment. Modi speaks lies, loudly and repeatedly. So you people are impressed. Modi is running out of confidence. He is following our agenda and copying our programmes.

A large section of Gujarati voters think that the Congress has an in-built tendency to appease Muslims. But during the riots in 2002, Congress leader Amarsinh Chaudhary adopted a soft-Hindutva approach. You are ending up displeasing both the secular and non-secular voters.

The Congress is secular and will remain secular. The Patels are shifting to the Congress to unite Gujaratis. The rejection of Modi will be bigger than rejection of J Jayalalitha or Chandrababu Naidu [Images]. People will see the magic of Gujarati voters.

Are you taking any advice from your famous father?

We do not meet quite often. But he always advises me to listen more. We the young people in the Congress are rejuvenating the party. It is a difficult role. After winning election in 1985 we haven't won any election in Gujarat on our own strength. We are rebuilding the Congress culture in Gujarat.

'There is no civil society in Gujarat'

March 07, 2007

Ahmedabad-based Achyut Yagnik, 62, author, thinker and social activist, and co-author Suchitra Sheth are engaged in writing the history of Ahmedabad, which will turn 600 years old in 2011.
Their acclaimed last book, The Shaping of Modern Gujarat: Plurality, Hindutva and Beyond, was shortlisted for the Crossword Book Awards 2006.

Yagnik has also co-authored Creating a Nationality: Ramjanmabhoomi Movement and Fear of the Self with noted sociologist Ashis Nandy.

From 1970 to 1980, Yagnik was a journalist and trade unionist. Then, he became general secretary of the People's Union for Civil Liberties, Gujarat.

In Ahmedabad, he leads SETU: Centre for Social Knowledge and Action, a social organisation working among the vulnerable communities in western India.

Yagnik, who studied religion and nationalism at university, has strong views on the middle class of Gujarat. And he speaks fearlessly against what he says is the dominance of the upper class in Gujarati politics.

Through his writings Yagnik has been trying to explain why Gujarat, which has absorbed diverse people like the Turks, the Portuguese and the Marathas for centuries, today appears insular and parochial, making even the release of commercial Hindi films a difficult issue.

Yagnik debates with Managing Editor Sheela Bhatt his views on the last five years of Gujarat after Godhra.

Five years have passed after the Godhra carnage and the communal riots. How do you evaluate those events?

By and large, Gujarat has remained peaceful, except the incident of violence in Baroda over the issue of the demolition of a dargah.

When I say peaceful, you must remember that it is peace without justice. It is peace without remorse.

The Muslim minority -- who were attacked, harassed and marginalised -- is waiting for justice. You hardly find remorse in the urban middle class of Gujarat. That is very disturbing.

However, we must note that in 2002, except in Rajkot and Bhavnagar, virtually nothing happened in Saurashtra, Kutch and south of the Narmada. The main theatres of violence were north and central Gujarat and urban centres like Baroda and Ahmedabad.

In these areas there is further ghettoisation. In Mehsana and in some villages of tribal Gujarat, Muslim families are unable to go back to their homes. In Himmatnagar, Visnagar and Vijapur, you find that Muslims are being further marginalised in society.

In Ahmedbad, Juhapura has evolved as the biggest ghetto of Muslims. It was continuously neglected by civil corporations and the state government for many years.

The Juhapura area has a Juhapura village but it also includes some other villages like Sarkhej.

It is believed that out of the 300,000 population, 90 percent are Muslims. Nationalised banks are not opening their branches here.

It is not just the state government that is neglecting Muslim areas, even the central government is doing so. It is so because the bureaucracy involved here at the local level has also internalised anti-Muslim images and emotions.

Many buses are not passing through this area. Only in July 2006, Juhapura has become a part of the Ahmedabad Corporation.

Now we will have to wait and see how development activity picks up here. We shall compare it with other areas.

On one hand Muslims themselves are moving towards Juhapura out of fear, anxiety and insecurity, and on the other hand you realise that the majority is neglecting them more and more.

You said it is peace without remorse. Why?

For the riots of 2002, the state government was responsible. The state machinery didn't work at all. Over and above the state government, you also find that the Gujarati middle class is equally responsible. They refuse to analyse the situation. They refuse to look at their own face in the mirror.

Why?

it is an interesting question. You can say it is unfortunate. But I am not in a position to give you the reason why the Gujarati middle class has no remorse.

I can look back 25 years. I know how in the 1980s we saw the emergence of the politics of the upper castes. In 1981, and later in 1985, for the first time we saw violence against Dalits. In 1990, we saw that the politics of the upper castes was fully converted into Hindutva.

The Sangh Parivar played a significant role in Hinduisation. They played an important role in shaping the worldview of the Gujarati urban middle class.

Along with the Sangh, we should also take note of various modern Hindu religious sects. They have not come out against the violence and they are not talking about Gandhiji's Arva Dharma Sambhav.

They are talking about classical Hinduism without the ethical or Bhakti traditions of Gujarat.

The religious sects of Gujarat are playing a very crucial role in inducting Hindutva amongst their followers. They are spreading Hindu cultural nationalism. In that process, non-resident Gujaratis also played a significant role.

Abroad, they are in a minority. Many of them, while living in different countries, think they are second class citizens. Their identity problem shifts here because a large number of non-resident Gujaratis in the Western world have their relatives in urban Gujarat in upper caste society.

The emergence of upper caste politics, which got transformed into Hindutva politics, and the role of religious sects are helping this transformation.

If you analyse their lectures they are talking about the Gita without talking of non-violence. Gujarat's Bhakti tradition spoke about plurality but that message is not highlighted today.

I think the popular religious leaders of Gujarat don't want to disturb their equation with the middle class and also with the political and social establishment.

If central government employees are not opening bank branches in Juhapura, it is not because of the Hindus. The close-knit Muslim community is seen as posing a security problem.

The Muslims in Gujarat are not a homogenous community. All the Muslims living in Juhapura are not criminals.

In the same way, you can't say all Gujarati Hindus are communal.

I have already told you that in Kutch, Saurashtra and south of the Narmada people are living in peace and harmony.

My question was regarding Juhapura. If banks are not opening their branches easily then don't you think the community also has to answer?

The community in Juhapura wants more banks and other government offices. But within the banking world, the authority lies in hands of upper class people. And they are not responding to the demands of Muslims.

You can't say all the 300,000 people living in Juhapura are communal.

Nobody is saying all Muslims in Juhapura are criminals, but questions are raised about the lack of response from the Muslim community too.

What kind of responsibility you are talking about? This is the problem with the perception of upper class banking officers. A city that is divided and segmented like Ahmedabad is not even good for the development of Ahmedabad.

How can you make Ahmedabad a mega city where there are walls within walls? When there are boundaries, some areas known as 'Chhote Pakistan'?

Even Dalits are not allowed within upper caste areas. Now Dalits are forming their own housing societies. Nobody is talking about the marginalisation of Dalits by the same people who marginalised Muslims.

Why is civil society not taking up the issue?

There is no civil society in Gujarat.

At the beginning of the 21st century Ahmedabad is at the crossroads. Godhra changed Gujarat's image for the first time but the changes within Ahmedabad started in the 1980s. Riots occurred frequently through the 1980s and 1990s. You cannot understand 2002 in isolation.

But for non-Gujaratis the earlier riots of 1985 or 1989 or 1990 were not that important. Because the 2002 riots were the first televised riots of India, it became different. The media's reach played a role also.

As a result, large numbers of writers in the Western world are not looking at Gujarat as Gandhi's Gujarat or mercantile Gujarat. From the viewpoint of the image of Gujarat, 2002 was the watershed event. Within Gujarat, the media, academicians and upper caste think outsiders are anti-Gujarat.

Personally, I am worried about intellectual poverty in Gujarat. Take the example of the Sahitya Parishad, which celebrated its centenary in 2006.

A centenary ago the same Parishad was talking about an inclusive Gujarat but now writers are talking in the language of Hindutva.

Professor Ganesh Devi is a professor of English working in the tribal areas of Gujarat and working on the tribal dialect. He criticised the riots, so a number of writers attacked Devi in literary journals. They threaten to boycott the annual event organised at Devi's institute. The Parishad was forced to change the venue. This is very suggestive.

The events of 2002 have not created any new waves in literature. Ranjitram, founder of the Parishad, was talking of an inclusive Gujarat. Poet Khabardar was talking about Hindus, Muslims and Parsis in his poems. The great poet Nanalal gave powerful expression to the plurality of Gujarat. In 1960, the Gujarat state was created. Then, Sundaram and Umashanker Joshi were talking about pluralist Gujarat.

Now, that voice is hardly heard. The cultural leadership of Gujarat has failed in projecting the greatness of Gujarat. Once, the great poet Narmad asked: Koni, koni che (Gujarat? Gujarat belongs to whom?)

He said Gujarat belongs to not only Aryans and Hindus -- but those who came from outside and are settled here and who speak Gujarati are Gujaratis. Gujarat belongs to people who speak Gujarati.

Now, in the universities of Gujarat, top appointments are made only if the educationalists and writers voice Hindutva views. There is a vacuum and intellectual poverty in cultural organisations.

The present generation of Gujarat has only witnessed anti-Muslim or anti-Dalit propaganda and violence. How would they get the correct messages and from where? The youth is not trained to look within.

Continue...:pop::pop::pop::pop:

Gujarat NRE unveils Rs 3000 crore investment plan in Gujarat

Gujarat NRE Coke, the country’s largest independent coke producer, at the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2009, Ahmedabad has revealed that the Group has plans of investing around Rs 3000 crore in Gujarat over the next 4 to 5 years.
The major projects planned are additional 1 million tonne per annum met coke plant at the cost of Rs 400 crore, additional 2 million tonne pa coal preparatory plant at the cost Rs 100 crore, 60 MW waste heat-based power plant at the cost of Rs 300 crore, 200 MW fluidized bed-based thermal power plant at the cost of Rs 1,000 crore and a 200 MW wind power project at an estimated cost of Rs 1,200 crore

In Ahmedabad, don't mention the R-word

March 1, 2007
Reportage: Sheela Bhatt
"Why have you come back? Don't write a word on the riots. Not even on Godhra. Please go back," fumed Dinesh Vakil, a real estate investor in Ahmedabad.

He was arguing that in the last five years, the media and the secular activists have derived "sadistic pleasure" in writing about the Godhra train carnage.

"You are digging into our wounds," Vakil continued. "You people don't want that our wounds should heal. Secular leaders and the Congress want to keep HM alive for the sake of extracting political mileage."

'HM,' in Gujarat, means the divide between Hindus and Muslims.

"People get huge funds to fight cases against Hindus accused of rioting," Vakil continued. "The secular people are responsible for perpetuating the divide between Hindus and Muslims of Gujarat."

His anger vented, he turned away with a look of disgust.

Like Vakil, the majority of Gujaratis are in denial mode. It is easy to see why Parzania was not screened in the state.

When we spoke to political leaders, Congress voters, women and Dalits in different parts of Ahmedabad, their reaction was uniform: "Why talk about the riots?"

Five years on, Godhra truth still elusive

For Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, silence is the best move of his political game -- not to review, not to contemplate, not to reflect, and, certainly, not to regret.
Many Gujaratis have no problem in reminding you about the chronicle of communal riots since Independence in which, according to their estimation, 'Hindus suffered.'

But they want you to completely forget the 2002 riots. Many people in urban Gujarat claim the 2002 riots were necessary for restoring the 'balance' of distribution of social, cultural and political power in the state between the minority and majority communities.

Another aspect one notices after five years of the riots is that the sizable middle-class Hindus have a closed mind when it comes to the life of the minority community and the issues affecting the life of Muslims.

Ahmedabadis have, generally speaking, refused to accept the reality of violence and its consequences -- though they played out on the streets right within their mohallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom