What's new

Myanmar first country to purchase JF-17 Thunder from Pakistan

what? same budget. jf17 is 25 million, mig35 38.5 million the budget is no where remotely near. i would assume the mig 35 may be in the works but even some (12) of your mig 29's are second hand
What? We are buying 18 JF17s to begin with.

My argument is I would rather we had bought a lower number of a higher performance plane.

It was my understanding it was coming into production soon. I know that our AF have already evaluated it.

I have no doubts that it would have been evaluated thoroughly but the Mig-35 was riding on the Indian tender to go into mass production. Now with no major buyer, the platform is still stuck at prototype stage and nothing less than a commercially viable order which can cover project costs and that of production infrastructure can breathe life into it. 10 units would not be commercially viable.

Pakistan must be having a particularly poor lot in foreign policy planning. Afghanistan is hostile. Iran is unfriendly. The Saudis feel betrayed. India is of course the enemy. Almost deliberately Pakistan has refused to appreciate BD's difficulties so that she is loosing friends there. And no Muslim country will appreciate the sale of JF-17s to Burma.

Not true... Pakistan is trying to find a balance between Saudi Arabia and Iran... Afghanistan is having peace negotiations with the Talibans in Pakistan...India was the enemy from day one of both West Pakistanis and East Pakistanis...

So suddenly when the East Pakistanis make an alliance with the Enemy what are they supposed to be be called? Still we are considering you to be our brothers ....But what are you calling us...

I have no doubts that it would have been evaluated thoroughly but the Mig-35 was riding on the Indian tender to go into mass production. Now with no major buyer, the platform is still stuck at prototype stage and nothing less than a commercially viable order which can cover project costs and that of production infrastructure can breathe life into it. 10 units would not be commercially viable.

True but the Russians have already ordered it so it's obviously coming into production. Plus it's an evolution of the 29 so it wouldn't need the same number of orders to bring it in production I would imagine. I'm not suggesting our order was to bring it into production. Especially since we are talking hypothetically.

Pakistan must be having a particularly poor lot in foreign policy planning. Afghanistan is hostile. Iran is unfriendly. The Saudis feel betrayed. India is of course the enemy. Almost deliberately Pakistan has refused to appreciate BD's difficulties so that she is loosing friends there. And no Muslim country will appreciate the sale of JF-17s to Burma.

Nope Pakistani foreign policy has improved incredibly over the past couple of months.

1) Afghan Pakistan ties have improved substantially. Pakistan recently hosted peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban and Afghanistan is now sending officers to get trained by Pakistan. Something unheard of during the era of Karzai.
2) Iran is neither friendly nor unfriendly and thats the way it has always been since the Islamic revolution. We have our differences with the Shia regime and our close ties with the Saudis further ensure that relations between the two of us never get "friendly". So nothing substantial has changed in our relationship.
3) Saudis have been told that if their national integrity is endangered then we will intervene. However we arent sending our jawans to die in the mountains of Yemen for a war we have nothing to do with. This point has been made abundantly clear to the Saudis and Gulfis repeatedly now. This shows that Pakistan is standing on its own feet now and isnt afraid to act independently.
4) No improvements can be expected in ties with India when populists like Modi are in power.
5) Like it or not Bangladesh is a puppet of India under the current government. Bangladesh's likes or dislikes are hardly relevant for our policy makers hence as they are merely an extension of New Delhi.
6) Muslim world other than paying lip service has never done anything for us. The fact that we have ignored the views of the Ummah is hence the biggest evidence that Pakistani foreign policy has improved incredibly over the past couple of months. Rather than being idealists beliving in some fairy tale united Ummah our policy makers have become hardcore realists. If you are following Pakistani news then you will know that our ties with Russia too are expanding now. Something again unheard of in the past.

True but the Russians have already ordered it so it's obviously coming into production. Plus it's an evolution of the 29 so it wouldn't need the same number of orders to bring it in production I would imagine. I'm not suggesting our order was to bring it into production.

The Russians have placed no order as yet, it is an active program at the moment but one without buyers.

The deal is all but done. It will go into production. But I digress. Even 10 M2s would have been nice.

The option to add more planes to the inventory always exists, JF-17 could very well be a stopgap to meet the generation gap between the F-7s and the new planes being bought by Bangladesh until other arrangements can be finalized.

The option to add more planes to the inventory always exists, JF-17 could very well be a stopgap to meet the generation gap between the F-7s and the new planes being bought by Bangladesh until other arrangements can be finalized.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. The JF-17 will replace the ageing F-7's and the retired A-5's while we boost our front line fighter abilities. In that respect the JF-17 represents a good deal.

@Icarus - Yaaar Sethi Sahib I know that the Jf-17 isn't a Mercedes but you've reduced it to a Qing Qi Rikshaw - Aisiii ziyadatiii bhiii tou na kareiiin ! :o:

Hassina Wajid is a brave lady. She hangs 90 year old babai in her country. Isn't that brave? She won't be afraid with this sale.

It is brave of her to hang those bas-tard jamaatiyas. I wish Hasina could be our PM so that we could get rid of Munawwar Hassan and his ilk.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom