What's new

Myanmar-Bangladesh relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burma is ethnic cleansing Rohingya, our ethnic kins, in stages and kicked out 1.2 million out a total of 2 million already making them the worlds worst persecuted minority. Also, they have found a new technique arming Buddhists Rakhines to carry out the ethnic cleansing and massacres, instead of the army getting directly involved.

This situation is comparable to India not getting UN security council membership, how?

I pointed out that India's economy is a paltry 5% of the US/EU combined economy, so India cannot even dream of attacking US/EU, they can just take out India's entire nuke arsenal and make a whole bunch of glass parking lots in the process.

Bangladesh has more than twice the GDP of Burma and 3 times the people, so we are in a position to support insurgency and even militarily intervene if needed, this side of Arakan Yoma mountains. These mountains are biggest strategic advantage for Bangladesh which separates ancient Arakan (Rakhine) from mainland Burma. In a protracted insurgency Burmese economy will further suffer and deals can be worked out with other insurgencies supported by other neighbor countries like China, Thailand etc.

For India, its own position in NE states is vulnerable, so it will be better for it to stay out of any of these conflicts and stay completely neutral. But we understand your negative feeling about any potential conflict, as it will destabilize the region, making NE states more unstable and block sea access to NE states via Sittwe port.
Oops my mistake, I did not understand your gdp thing before.
Please check my post and the part I quoted specifically. I compared with your agressive stand with other nations who do not agree with you on this ('either you are with us else...'), not your 'imaginary' war with myanmar which by this time I guess you have won already..so congrats..

To repeat my original assertion(in reply to a post earlier), India is never going to get involved in a third party conflict, publicly. Back channel diplomacy and intelligence agencies may get involved.

Oops my mistake, I did not understand your gdp thing before.
Please check my post and the part I quoted specifically. I compared with your agressive stand with other nations who do not agree with you on this ('either you are with us else...'), not your 'imaginary' war with myanmar which by this time I guess you have won already..so congrats..

Good, now please listen, no one wants war, it is being forced on us, without giving us any option to avoid it. You cannot change racist animals without beating them up really good, think about the Nazi's, how they were stopped. Remember how these pesky Burmese kicked out all South Asians (Hindu and Muslims) in many purges since 1938 after British gave them independence a good 9 years before 1947. I think the first anti-Indian riots was in 1932. So this Burmese racism is directed against all Indians, but lately they found Islamophobia to be useful to purge Rohingya and other Muslim minorities, adding another dimension to their racism. Also, they regularly purge ethnic Chinese, just like they did with Indians.

Bamar majority and their little brother Rakhines (supposedly ancient proto-Bamars), are racist against all their minorities, Muslim, Hindu, Christian and even Buddhists, as long as they belong to other ethnic groups, which is why they have so many insurgencies, some supported by China and Thailand.

This article pretty much conclusively proves that Suu Kyi is either racist herself or she is allowing her NLD party's racist stance to pander to her countrymen's racist inclinations, to not loose leadership of the party.

Asia Times Online :: True stripes revealed in Myanmar

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) party is yet to release a statement on the riots, showcasing how sensitive the topic is. Her assertion that "those worthy of citizenship should get all the benefits that entails" was deliberately non-committal, and marks a rare break with her normally idealistic rhetoric built around the notion of equal rights for all.

It may be in keeping with her party's line, however: an NLD official said earlier this year that the debate over the origins of the Rohingya was "delicate", and that "even in our organization the Rohingya question has not been settled". NLD spokesperson Nyan Win was more blunt when he said, "The Rohingya are not our citizens."

Public Internet forums, meanwhile, have been awash with vitriolic, often racist, reactions to the violence. Although there are clearly two sides to the conflict - both Muslim and Buddhist mobs have torched towns and attacked one another - the inflammatory rhetoric has predominantly been directed at the Rohingya.

Myanmar's exile-run media outlets have been conspicuously tentative over their coverage of the riots, perhaps nervous to fan the flames, while leading domestic news journals have carried demeaning headlines such as "Bengali Rohingyas prowl around outside Rakhine city".

I did not understand a thing you are talking about. India will go to war/stop war with bd/burma because it has high GDP?
Has there ever been a precedent of that?
There was near civil war in nepal, did India get directly involved?
There was near civil war in lanka, did India get directly involved? (after IPKF fiasco)
India has her own headaches already, diplomacy yes, armed intervention no.

Even in diplomacy, India will be very careful not to hurt either side, and prefer bilateral engagement.

Why BD alone should deal with Burmese problem. It is the British India which left this problem unresolved. India should be a party to it if BD is dragged into it.

Zabaniya, bro, I don't know how old you are. But I do not say any of these words lightly. Indian trolls of course think they know better, trying to enlighten me with their words of wisdom. They can shove it for all I care.

I'm in my mid-20's sir.

I don't know about India. I never really understood them other than their cheesy commercials, dramas and movies. My opinion? That's the only thing they excel at the moment. And of-course, trolling :P

Bangladeshi's and even South Asians as a people are indecisive and confused. That has been my experience considering my five decades experience with these people.

I agree. I believe it's not because we are....naturally so. It was just that both Jinnah and Gandhi allowed bigots into the nexus of power.

And the whole SA region got screwed that way. We all could have become industrialized by now if it were not for all the trolling and bigotry. And of-course, the Indo-Pak wars. But then, we all have come a long way. Please, do not compare us South Asians to where the Burmese are at the moment.

I predicted the outcome of Al-Assad the moment the protests started and the way he handled it. It does not take long to understand people's innards if you look at them carefully. Same with geopolitics if you look at the details on the ground of any given situation. This is just one example. You will see the same with many other predictions I made about world situation.

What I told you in that post is what will happen. You can beat about the bush, but there is no way to avoid reality. You have to face it and deal with it, or live with the sh!t they dish out and eventually choose among the same old options.

I don't know. The things going on in Myanmar are extremely unpredictable. I'd say let them move on. Suu Kyi claims that this isn't the end of the road, and a long road ahead for reform. I hope she does things right. It appears her supporters are even more bigoted than the Burmese generals.

It is indeed one instance where a country opens up itself to the world after living in a nutshell for half a century, and make more enemies than friends! Their relations with Thailand aren't the great since.....I don't know.....ages? Apparently, their relations with China won't be very good either.

I do not know about India. See? I never really understood them.

Having said that, of course Bangladesh, its people, govt. will take their time to weigh all options to decide on a wise course, I have my wholehearted support for them to choose their own pace. But I also wholeheartedly believe that the options and outcomes will not change from what I stated.

And about antagonizing Burmese, I would take that as a compliment, absolutely I would like to threaten them and back them up with actions if they don't change their behavior.

I agree, we need to be more firm with Myanmar. I think we agree that we must exercise all options. I mean, those guys are still living in the stone ages.

Frankly, I do not think our current axis of leadership have the competency, the resources nor the experience to do so. We must address our internal political problems first, and come with a firmer and more dedicated leadership.

The two begums cannot do it. End of story!

And certainly not their power hungry sons. We need leaders who have brains, and not just worship money.

Why BD alone should deal with Burmese problem. It is the British India which left this problem unresolved. India should be a party to it if BD is dragged into it.

Now that raises a million dollar question!

1. If the Hindukush and the Solaiman Ranges are the western boundary of the subcontinent, then the eastern limit is the Arakan Yoma- Naga Hills. The fabled Suvarnabhumi, the land of gold, of ancient times is Arakan. Historically, culturally and economically Arakan belongs to SA, not Burma. The original population were the Rakhines who still live in good numbers in BD in all the coastal areas and the islands. Although Buddhists the Rakhines hate the Burmans much more than the Muslims do. All logistics from Arakan link with BD. None do with Burma. For trade and foreign travel BD is the convenient gateway.
2.Along with Bengal Buddhism had flourished here. In Arakan tradition the great image of Buddha, the Moha Muni is the only one sculptured where Budha had sat as model. King Bodapaw had this taken to Burma when he invaded Arakan in 1784. This is in disply in the pagoda in Mandalay. The lesser idols, also revered by the Rakhines are kept in various other pagodas. Rakhines believe peace and prosperity will not return to Arakan till the Mohamuni is recovered.
3. In due course of time the Burmese King appointed a Portuguse as the Governor of N Arakan with HQ at Swandip. Northern Arakan consisted of present day Chittagong Div, Barisal Div and Khulna Div. The famous Sundarbans was the extent to which the kingdom's border stretched. FYI, there used to be a Sundarban in Arakan also. It is no coincidence that the body structure of these people are similar to present Arakanese, and differs with Bengalees from the West and North. People here bear Arabic style names. Culturally also they have similarities different from the others. For instance the "mejban" banquet is quite peculiar to these people and is not available elsewhere. There are words like koina/komba, goanchhe/gayam or family title like Shikdar peculiar to old N and present/S Arakan.
4. In the year 50BC, the Byzantine navigator Hypolatus discovered the Monsoons. Thereafter started the E-W trade by sea, with Aden in the west and Canton in the east. The ship from Aden would skirt round the Arabian peninsula and cross over to the Gujarat coast(Laccadives still has a majority Muslim population). Even now smugglers and illegal immigrants use that mode. Then the ship would sail round the Western Ghat, then on to the Madras coast. Then the ship would cross northern Bay of Bengal and reach Swandip (then a major trading center), Akyab and Ramree, the latter two in Arakan.Then on to the Moluccas, S Philippines and finally Canton. When returning with the Chinese merchandise, the trade would now follow a route of camel caravans. All the stuff, except those meant for Abyssinia, would pass through Macca. Aila, present day Aqaba, was a major distribution point for the Mediterranean. Other caravans would go to Syria, etc.

5. Arakan (which includes present E & S BD),was an important stop over point. The harbors were good. There was plenty of fresh water and food was easily obtainable. Most important, there was plenty of good timber to repair ships or construct new ones. Some of the local population were rumored to be cannibalistic in the deep forest, but in the plains and shore they were friendly. Arabs staying back for illness or navigator changes, easily took to local women. Due to the matriarchal custom in the society an Arab could not take his wife with him, nor could he take his children. As such a semi-Arab society grew fast.(Suu Kyi has been constrained by this custom for marrying Prof Ari). These people were adventurous, courageous and physically more powerful and hard working. That was (and still is) in contrast to the local menfolk who are lazy and constantly drunk. That is a reason local women found (and still find) Bengalees/ semi-Arabs more attractive, masculine and desirable as partner. (This has been the main cause of the Burmese jealousy towards Muslims. Even when Aung San, Suu Kyi's father, had started a political campaign against the S Asians and Muslims, the number one demand they placed to the British was to prohibit Muslims from marrying Burmese girls. This is still a law in Burma and is strictly enforced in Arakan. Thus grew a large Arab and semi-Arab community who were Jews and Christians.
6. Even before the Holy Prophet (PBUH) went on Hizrat to Madina he sent his uncle Sahabi Abu Waqqas to carry The Message to the Arabs and semi-Arabs living in the East. A ship was provided to him by the Governor of Yemen. The names of all the accompanying Sahabis and their attendants are all chronicled in Arabic records and is now available in Bengalee publication of the Islamic Academy. Swandip being the most important port in the area was where the Sahabi had made his base. From there he went round propagating The Message to all Arabs and semi Arabs in the area from Sylhet to all over Arakan. (R Brahmaputra flowing in differnt course, Sylhet was easily accessible). The Sahabi stayed in Arakan for 8 years, and then moved on to the East.
7.No Muslim visitor to Guandong can miss the famous mosque, one of the earliest in our history. Local Muslims call it the Mosque of our Ancestor, ie Sahabi Abu Waqqas. He is buried nearby and that is known as the Mausoleum of our Ancestor. I have been fortunate to be able to offer my prayers in this green color mosque.
8. The Message that we received, like the peoples of Mopla, Acheh, S Philippines and Malaysia came to us direct, untainted and without the influence of other cultures or without being influenced by time. As such we Eastern Muslims perhaps have held to the original Message more than others. By comparison Islam really took foothold over the Indus valley around 900 Ad with the capture of Peshawar, Mohammad bin Qasim's forays being short and unconsolidated.
9. It is no wonder, therefore, that at Partition in terms of demography E Bengal was predominantly Muslim followed by NWFP. Others could claim such after the massacres / exodus of 1947-48.

10. I have to take a break to return soon. Thanks.

We don't want meddle in BD's internal affairs. :coffee:

1. If the Hindukush and the Solaiman Ranges are the western boundary of the subcontinent, then the eastern limit is the Arakan Yoma- Naga Hills. The fabled Suvarnabhumi, the land of gold, of ancient times is Arakan. Historically, culturally and economically Arakan belongs to SA, not Burma. The original population were the Rakhines who still live in good numbers in BD in all the coastal areas and the islands. Although Buddhists the Rakhines hate the Burmans much more than the Muslims do. All logistics from Arakan link with BD. None do with Burma. For trade and foreign travel BD is the convenient gateway.
2.Along with Bengal Buddhism had flourished here. In Arakan tradition the great image of Buddha, the Moha Muni is the only one sculptured where Budha had sat as model. King Bodapaw had this taken to Burma when he invaded Arakan in 1784. This is in disply in the pagoda in Mandalay. The lesser idols, also revered by the Rakhines are kept in various other pagodas. Rakhines believe peace and prosperity will not return to Arakan till the Mohamuni is recovered.
3. In due course of time the Burmese King appointed a Portuguse as the Governor of N Arakan with HQ at Swandip. Northern Arakan consisted of present day Chittagong Div, Barisal Div and Khulna Div. The famous Sundarbans was the extent to which the kingdom's border stretched. FYI, there used to be a Sundarban in Arakan also. It is no coincidence that the body structure of these people are similar to present Arakanese, and differs with Bengalees from the West and North. People here bear Arabic style names. Culturally also they have similarities different from the others. For instance the "mejban" banquet is quite peculiar to these people and is not available elsewhere. There are words like koina/komba, goanchhe/gayam or family title like Shikdar peculiar to old N and present/S Arakan.
4. In the year 50BC, the Byzantine navigator Hypolatus discovered the Monsoons. Thereafter started the E-W trade by sea, with Aden in the west and Canton in the east. The ship from Aden would skirt round the Arabian peninsula and cross over to the Gujarat coast(Laccadives still has a majority Muslim population). Even now smugglers and illegal immigrants use that mode. Then the ship would sail round the Western Ghat, then on to the Madras coast. Then the ship would cross northern Bay of Bengal and reach Swandip (then a major trading center), Akyab and Ramree, the latter two in Arakan.Then on to the Moluccas, S Philippines and finally Canton. When returning with the Chinese merchandise, the trade would now follow a route of camel caravans. All the stuff, except those meant for Abyssinia, would pass through Macca. Aila, present day Aqaba, was a major distribution point for the Mediterranean. Other caravans would go to Syria, etc.

5. Arakan (which includes present E & S BD),was an important stop over point. The harbors were good. There was plenty of fresh water and food was easily obtainable. Most important, there was plenty of good timber to repair ships or construct new ones. Some of the local population were rumored to be cannibalistic in the deep forest, but in the plains and shore they were friendly. Arabs staying back for illness or navigator changes, easily took to local women. Due to the matriarchal custom in the society an Arab could not take his wife with him, nor could he take his children. As such a semi-Arab society grew fast.(Suu Kyi has been constrained by this custom for marrying Prof Ari). These people were adventurous, courageous and physically more powerful and hard working. That was (and still is) in contrast to the local menfolk who are lazy and constantly drunk. That is a reason local women found (and still find) Bengalees/ semi-Arabs more attractive, masculine and desirable as partner. (This has been the main cause of the Burmese jealousy towards Muslims. Even when Aung San, Suu Kyi's father, had started a political campaign against the S Asians and Muslims, the number one demand they placed to the British was to prohibit Muslims from marrying Burmese girls. This is still a law in Burma and is strictly enforced in Arakan. Thus grew a large Arab and semi-Arab community who were Jews and Christians.
6. Even before the Holy Prophet (PBUH) went on Hizrat to Madina he sent his uncle Sahabi Abu Waqqas to carry The Message to the Arabs and semi-Arabs living in the East. A ship was provided to him by the Governor of Yemen. The names of all the accompanying Sahabis and their attendants are all chronicled in Arabic records and is now available in Bengalee publication of the Islamic Academy. Swandip being the most important port in the area was where the Sahabi had made his base. From there he went round propagating The Message to all Arabs and semi Arabs in the area from Sylhet to all over Arakan. (R Brahmaputra flowing in differnt course, Sylhet was easily accessible). The Sahabi stayed in Arakan for 8 years, and then moved on to the East.
7.No Muslim visitor to Guandong can miss the famous mosque, one of the earliest in our history. Local Muslims call it the Mosque of our Ancestor, ie Sahabi Abu Waqqas. He is buried nearby and that is known as the Mausoleum of our Ancestor. I have been fortunate to be able to offer my prayers in this green color mosque.
8. The Message that we received, like the peoples of Mopla, Acheh, S Philippines and Malaysia came to us direct, untainted and without the influence of other cultures or without being influenced by time. As such we Eastern Muslims perhaps have held to the original Message more than others. By comparison Islam really took foothold over the Indus valley around 900 Ad with the capture of Peshawar, Mohammad bin Qasim's forays being short and unconsolidated.
9. It is no wonder, therefore, that at Partition in terms of demography E Bengal was predominantly Muslim followed by NWFP. Others could claim such after the massacres / exodus of 1947-48.

10. I have to take a break to return soon. Thanks.

Take your break but keep posting, you seem to be an Encyclopedia on many subjects...we surely enjoy :tup:.

What do you think is India's say on the Rohingya issue?

india's say was made clear in 91 when they asked BD to get back in 75 treaty before BD getting engaged in Arakan issue on US (and probably Saudi) proposal to dismember Arakan from Burma as it was a long brutalities by Burmese. That was then also a proof that india made Burma attack on BDR BOP and create tense situation.

Bangladesh - Myanmar Relations

Bangladesh is surrounded by India to the west, north and northeast, Myanmar to the southeast, and the Bay of Bengal to the south. Bangladesh-Myanmar shares a common border of 271 kilometers. But for Bangladesh, Myanmar relations things developed differently as apart from India, Myanmar is Bangladesh's only other bordering neighbour. Geography apart, Bangladesh has historic ties with Myanmar and has many things in common, including colonial legacy.

Bangladesh-Myanmar official relations started off following Myanmar's recognition to Bangladesh on 13 January 1972. I shall like to underline that Myanmar was one of the first few countries in the world to accord recognition to Bangladesh. As early as in May 1972, Bangladesh Foreign Minister, Abdus Samad Azad, visited Myanmar. That was the first official visit by the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh to any country after India. Following the visit a joint communiqu?as issued simultaneously from Bangladesh and Myanmar, emphasizing closer ties and development of bilateral relations on the basis of peaceful co-existence, non-alignment and mutual respect for sovereignty and national dignity. These still remain the basis of Bangladesh-Myanmar ties.

Between 1972 and 1985, the two countries signed three important agreements. These were: (i) General Trade Agreement (3 August, 1973), (ii) Repatriation of Refugee Agreement (1978), and (iii) Land Boundary Agreement (1979). These agreements were milestones for the relations between the two countries. Since then many top-level visits took place from both sides to strengthen Bangladesh-Myanmar ties.

On 1 June 1989 three more MOUs were signed on border trade and economic cooperation providing for joint ventures at the government-to-government, government-to-private, and private-to-private levels and also on cooperation between private sectors like FBCCI and UMCCI. Premised upon these, the border trade protocol was signed on 18 May 1994. But, border trade formally began on 5 September 1995.

Although the potentials for cooperation between Bangladesh and Myanmar are significant, the focus is on border trade. However, the important elements of infrastructure and administrative machinery which are being set up in place will greatly encourage enhanced trade not only across Teknaf and Maungdaw, but also through coastal shipping and other channels. Bangladesh Trade fairs and exhibitions in Yangon in 1995 and 1996 helped a great deal in creating demand for products from Bangladesh. In March 2003, three Agreements, namely, Coastal Shipping, Trade Account and Joint Business Council, were concluded. In the same year, the second Bangladesh Trade Fair took place in Myanmar.

Myanmar exports to Bangladesh such items as marine products, beans and pulses, and kitchen crops, while it imports from Bangladesh pharmaceuticals, ceramic, cotton fabric, raw jute, kitchenware, and cosmetic. Reportedly, bilateral trade between Myanmar and Bangladesh stood at US$ 140 million in 2008, which the two countries would try to take to 500 million dollars in the fiscal year 2009-2010.

Myanmar has vast potential for hydroelectric power production. To meet its increasing demand for electricity, Bangladesh requested Myanmar to allow the setting up of Hydro-Electric Power Project at any location among Saingdin, Lemro, or Mi Chaung. Myanmar, however, informed in 2009 that they had already leased two probable locations to a local company to generate power on Saingdin and Lemro river and in case of any surplus of production of electricity after meeting the requirement of the Rakhine State, they would consider exporting to Bangladesh. A private company named Shwe Taung development co. Ltd has shown interest to set up a hydroelectric power plant in Rakhine State with a production capacity of 500 megawatts and export electricity to Bangladesh.

An Agreement on Direct Road Link between Bangladesh and Myanmar was signed on 27 July 2007 in Dhaka. According to the Agreement, Bangladesh would finance construction of approximately 23 KM of the road between Taungbro and Bawlibazar in Myanmar including bridges and culverts. The engineering Corps of the armies of both the countries would jointly implement the construction. It has been noticed that the construction of the said road will be extremely expensive involving building of huge number of tunnels and bridges through rough hilly terrain. In addition, Bangladesh submitted another proposal to the Myanmar authority to consider Teknaf-Maungdaw-Sittwelink road as the alternative route on the plain land across the coast of Bay of Bengal.

The tri-nation direct road Link among Bangladesh, Myanmar and China is an extension of the highway from Cox's Bazar to Bawlibazar up to Kunming of China, which would contribute significantly to enhance the economic activities among the three countries.

Bangladesh government is also interested in setting up a railway network between Kunming city in Yunnan province and Chittagong via Myanmar. Furthermore, Bangladesh has shown its recent renewed interest in the proposed Trans-Asian Railway (TAR), a project of UNESCAP. Once materialized, it will link Bangladesh, among others, with six East Asian countries such as Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore as well as European countries through Turkey. It needs mentioning that as part of TAR agreement that Bangladesh signed on 10 November 2007, a 130-km-railway-track will be laid from Dohazari of Bangladesh to Gundum in the Arakan state of Myanmar via Ramu in Cox's Bazaar. The TAR and the East-West Economic Corridor (EWEC) will promote Bangladesh's economic interests to ASEAN and beyond.

In 2009 Myanmar authority suddenly started erecting barbed wire fencing along Bangladesh and Myanmar border, mostly along side the Naaf River. The Myanmar Authorities stated that the intention of undertaking of the project by their government was to contain terrorist activities, curb smuggling and drug trafficking etc. across the Myanmar-Bangladesh border area. According to the Agreement concluded between the then Foreign Ministers of Bangladesh and Myanmar on the Demarcation of the Land Section of the Boundary North of the Naaf River on 12 November 1998 in Yangon, both the contracting parties can erect such type of fencing 150 feet away from the zero line. Bangladesh-Myanmar shares a common border of 271 kilometers and they planned to erect fences for 64 km. only.

On 14 March 2012 the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea rendered its judgment in the Dispute concerning delimitation of the maritime boundary between Bangladesh and Myanmar in the Bay of Bengal (Bangladesh/Myanmar). In its judgment, the Tribunal had to address a number of issues raised by the Parties. Those included: the claim made by Bangladesh that the delimitation of the territorial sea had already been agreed by the Parties in 1974; and the delimitation of the exclusive economic zone and continental shelf within 200 nautical miles from the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured. In addition, the Tribunal had to deal with the request of Bangladesh that the continental shelf beyond 200 nautical miles limit be delimited, a request which was opposed by Myanmar. The Tribunal then had to decide whether it could and should exercise its jurisdiction in respect of the delimitation of the continental shelf beyond 200 nautical limits. The Tribunal found in favor of Bangladesh.

Bi-lateral talks between Bangledesh and Myanmar were held on 06 December 2011. Sheikh Hasina, the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, met with U Thein Sein, the President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. The two reaffirmed their satisfaction at the excellent relations that have developed over the years based on geographic proximity, rich historic and cultural traditions, people-to-people interactions as well as common aspiration for development. They expressed happiness that Bangladesh-Myanmar friendship is growing stronger and emphasized on the need to further accelerate the relations in the best interest of the two peoples.

The Prime Minister of Bangladesh raised the issue of Myanmar refugees living in Nayapara and Kutupalong camp and the huge number of undocumented Myanmar nationals living in Bangladesh and stated that early resolution of the issue will help strengthen bilateral relations to a great extent. The President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar expressed his desire to cooperate with Bangladesh in resolving the issue.

Repatriation of Myanmar Refugees is a three-decade-old crisis. The Rohingya people are of Muslim descent and are native to the northern Arakan region of Burma, which borders Bangledesh. The name Rohingya originates from the name "Rohang" or "Rohan" given to the Arakan region during the ninth and tenth centuries. Another group, the Rakhine people, reside in the same area of Burma and are the ethnic majority, with a Hindu and Mongol background. The Rohingyas have suffered a history of abuse, and since World War II have been fighting for recognition as a distinct ethnic group as well as an independent state. The Rohingya were excluded from the country's 1982 citizenship law and continue to suffer persecution, including forced labor, confiscation of property, rape and other forms of violence. An attempt was made to solve the Rohingya problem through diplomatic channel under an agreement signed on 09 July 1978. Some headway was achieved and a temporary solution to the problem had been reached. During 1991-1992, a second influx occurred and about 300,000 Rohingas illegally entered into our country. Bangladesh Government had to take measures on humanitarian ground to provide these refugees with temporary shelter, food and medical services. UNHCR was called in for help. Bilateral meeting was held between the Foreign Ministers of Bangladesh and Myanmar in Dhaka in April 1992, and an MOU was signed on 28 April 1992 to resolve the issue. However, Bangladesh government, with the help of UNHCR, had been able to repatriate about 236,600 Rohingya Muslims to Myanmar.

By 2011, approximately stateless 750,000 Rohingya remained in Burma, and an estimated three million Rohingya had fled to Bangladesh, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Saudi Arabia and other countries in the region. Although some have been recognized as refugees, many others lack documentation and are at risk of arbitrary arrest and detention, deportation back to Burma, trafficking in persons, and other abuses. Approximately 28,000 Burmese Rohingya are registered as living in two official refugee camps in Bangladesh, and more than 200,000 unregistered Rohingya live in surrounding towns and villages outside of the two camps.
Bangladesh - Myanmar Relations

That was an excellent summary of Myanmar-Bangladesh relations from globalsecurity.org, but it does not say who wrote it.

One figure I have a question on is that it says there are 3 million refugees in different countries, but earlier I saw a lower figure in some other sources.

Now lets see if we can approach this problem in a meaningful way, without getting emotional and loosing our temper. Although its difficult to do when people are getting killed and our govt. is turning away people whose lives may be in jeopardy:

1. This is a Myanmar internal domestic problem that is spilling over as a refugee problem to us, because we are the closest country where the refugees can take a boat to without too much risk of long sea travel. But this refugee problem is touching many other countries as well, such as Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia etc.

2. What Myanmar wants to do with their population is really their problem not ours, although we should save lives out of our humanity and conscience.

3. If Myanmar thinks that it has some claim about this population being from somewhere else, then they should approach UN and ASEAN. For Bangladesh, I think there is reason to believe that none of these Rohngya population migrated from Bangladesh or East Pakistan since 1947.

4. So if some of these Rohingya ancestors did migrate from then British India, any possible responsibility and remedial action may lie with the following successor/related states of British India. (credit to iajdani, for pointing out this issue).:

UK
India
Pakistan
Bangladesh

Just saying that Bangladesh has some kind of responsibility in this issue, because they might have moved from some regions in present day Bangladesh, does not make it the responsibility of the govt. of Bangladesh. Bangladesh as an entity did not even exist at the time of this migration and Bangladesh did not take the decisions to make or allow this population to migrate there.

ASEAN and UN, If they can arbitrate and reach a decision which is agreeable to Myanmar and all 4 countries above, then I think Bangladesh will do its assigned part.

5. In the meantime, ASEAN and UN personnel should get full access to the Arakan area where Rohingya population live, so they can monitor their situation and if needed do some conflict management, so there is no future repeat of this law and order situation where people loose their lives. ASEAN and UN should be the appropriate body to arbitrate and solve this issue for Myanmar, in consultation with world powers, as well as the above 4 successor states of British India.

Just saying that Bangladesh has some kind of responsibility in this issue, because they might have moved from some regions in present day Bangladesh, does not make it the responsibility of the govt. of Bangladesh. Bangladesh as an entity did not even exist at the time of this migration and Bangladesh did not take the decisions to make or allow this population to migrate there.

The Rohingyas do not even speak Bengali. Their language is different! Enough said!

ASEAN and UN, If they can arbitrate and reach a decision which is agreeable to Myanmar and all 4 countries above, then I think Bangladesh will do its assigned part.

I'm sure something can come up. But something tells me that we may need to get most of them out of there. I mean Jesus, the treatment against them by the Burmese is just legendary!

Better to get them out of their misery, one cannot reason with savages with no clue of the outside world. It's cheaper and a more effective PR stunt compared to funding an insurgency or even a war. Bangladesh has enough problems of its own right now!

5. In the meantime, ASEAN and UN personnel should get full access to the Arakan area where Rohingya population live, so they can monitor their situation and if needed do some conflict management, so there is no future repeat of this law and order situation where people loose their lives. ASEAN and UN should be the appropriate body to arbitrate and solve this issue for Myanmar, in consultation with world powers, as well as the above 4 successor states of British India.

That may only add fuel to the fire among the inhabitants over there. The Burmese government agreeing to that would only be a beginning!

The Rohingyas do not even speak Bengali. Their language is different! Enough said!

I'm sure something can come up. But something tells me that we may need to get most of them out of there. I mean Jesus, the treatment against them by the Burmese is just legendary!

Better to get them out of their misery, one cannot reason with savages with no clue of the outside world. It's cheaper and a more effective PR stunt compared to funding an insurgency or even a war. Bangladesh has enough problems of its own right now!

That may only add fuel to the fire among the inhabitants over there. The Burmese government agreeing to that would only be a beginning!

Some of their language may have some similar roots to Chittagonian, but you may know better, as I think I remember seeing a post where you said that you are from Chittagong.

Moving 730,000 people or lets say close to a million people is a major operation. If the killing continues then there would not be a choice. Threatening them with military intervention might also make them take notice and stop the killing for the time being.

Why do you think presence of UN and ASEAN observers would add fuel to the fire. If anything, I would think it would protect their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom