What's new

Myanmar-Bangladesh relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aung San Suu Kyi has masterfully appeased all sides by calling for 'the rule of law' in Arakan.

Rakhine conflict highlights law concerns: Suu Kyi
Friday, 15 June 2012 09:16 RFA
E-mail Print PDF

The sectarian violence in western Burma's Rakhine state underscores the need for the rule of law, clear rules on citizenship, and "responsible" vigilance along the Burma-Bangladesh border, opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said on Thursday.

Aung San Suu Kyi at the ILO meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, the first stop on her two-week tour of European cities, marking her return to Europe after nearly 25 years, much of that period spent under house arrest in Burma. Photo: ILO

Aung San Suu Kyi at the ILO meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, the first stop on her two-week tour of European cities, marking her return to Europe after nearly 25 years, much of that period spent under house arrest in Burma. Photo: ILO
She said she was concerned over the violence that has killed nearly 30 people, according to government estimates, since rioting began nearly a week ago between Rohingya Muslims and ethnic Rakhine Buddhists in the state.

The 66-year-old Nobel laureate said "the most important lesson" from the conflict was "the need for rule of law," which she added was also key to resolving the numerous armed ethnic conflicts in the country emerging from decades of harsh military rule.

"We have said again and again, my party, the National League for Democracy, that rule of law is essential if we are to put an end to all conflicts within the country," she told a news conference in Bern, the Swiss capital, after arriving by train from Geneva where she addressed the International Labour Organization (ILO).

"Everybody must have access to the protection of the law and of course they also have a duty to abide by the laws of the land. So, without rule of law, such communal strife will only continue, and the present situation will have to be handled with delicacy and sensitivity, and we need the cooperation of all peoples concerned to regain the peace that we want for the country."

Twenty-nine people – 16 Muslims and 13 Buddhists – have been killed and scores more wounded and nearly 2,600 homes burned in Rakhine State since Friday, according to Htein Lin, security and border affairs minister for Rakhine.

Some 31,900 people have also been displaced by the fighting and are housed in 37 camps across the state, which has been placed under emergency rule since Sunday, Htein Lin told reporters in the state capital Sittwe.

The death toll does not include 10 Muslims beaten to death while traveling on a bus by a Buddhist mob on June 3 in apparent revenge for the rape and murder of a woman, which sparked the violence. The passengers had no connection to the murdered woman. State media said three Muslims are on trial for the woman's death.

Ethnic tensions are common in Rakhine, which is home to Burma’s largest population of Muslims, including the Rohingya, though they remain a minority in the largely Buddhist region. The United Nations refugee agency estimates that some 800,000 Rohingya live in Rakhine state.

Decades of discrimination have left the Muslim Rohingya stateless and viewed by the United Nations as among the most persecuted minorities on the planet.

Illegal immigrants

The Burmese government regards the Rohingya as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh even though many of them have lived in the country for generations.

When asked whether she accepts Rohingyas as Burmese citizens, Aung San Suu Kyi repeated the need for rule of law in the country as well as clear citizenship regulations and efficient border enforcement policies.

"We need very clear and precise laws with regard to citizenship to begin with. But I would like to mention here a very practical problem that we have to resolve in the Rakhine State. I think one of the greatest problems comes from the fear on both sides of the border – that is to say [between] Bangladesh and Burma – that there will be illegal immigrants crossing all the time and this is due to the porous border.

"I think we need more responsible, incorrupt border vigilance."

Aung San Suu Kyi also touched on the hostilities in Burma's Kachin state, saying a cease-fire to halt ethnic violence there was not enough and underlined the need for a political solution.

"I understand that there are negotiations going on between the government and and the KIO with regard to a cease-fire. I just want to underline the fact that a cease-fire is not enough. In the end, we have to have a political settlement if there is to be a kind of peace that is lasting and meaningful."

The Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) is the Kachin ethnic group’s political wing. Kachin rebels have been fighting government forces since a 17-year peace agreement was shattered in June last year, forcing at least 50,000 people from their homes and thousands more to flee across the border into China.

Earlier, Aung San Suu Kyi, making her first visit to Europe in nearly a quarter of a century, received a standing ovation at the International Labour Organization (ILO), whose director-general Juan Somavia praised her "remarkable courage and determination."

Joint ventures

In her ILO speech, she urged foreign governments not to let their companies form joint ventures with Burma's state-owned oil and gas company until it improved its business practices.

The Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE), with which all foreign participation in the energy sector takes place through joint venture arrangements, "lacks both transparency and accountability at present," she said.

"The (Burmese) government needs to apply internationally recognized standards such as the IMF code of good practices on fiscal transparency. Other countries could help by not allowing their own companies to partner MOGE unless it was signed up to such codes," she said.

Responsible investment was the key to helping her resource-rich country along the path to democracy after nearly 50 years of military rule, she said.

Aung San Suu Kyi, who is about to turn 67, cut short the press conference and her engagements in the Swiss capital due to exhaustion.

The opposition leader apologized after vomiting during the press conference, saying she was "totally exhausted" from traveling.

"I am not used to the time difference," she said.

Switzerland is the first stop on a 18-day trip that will take her to Norway, Sweden, Britain, France, and Ireland.

Rakhine conflict highlights law concerns: Suu Kyi

Anything new on your side?

Myanmar ethnic cleansing will continue as Bamar majority and Rakhine Buddhists agree on this policy. Rohingya's do not have citizenship according to their constitution. Someone has to stand up to save the Rohingya otherwise they will eventually be cleansed/purged from their land. Out of 2 million, they have already kicked out about 1.2 million. So here is what I propose:

- Bangladesh as the closest ethnic group to Rohingya's and the most affected refugee recipient of this ethnic cleansing, should take up this humanitarian cause and present it on world stage
- but we cannot do this under RAWamy Indian puppets, so we need to wait till these idiots are kicked out from power
- once RAWamy's are out and BNP is in, I recommend the following policy
- present to UN their 1982 citizenship law and ask for security council and general assembly resolution to oust Myanmar from UN, since their 1982 constitution many UN charters including the Declaration of Human Rights
- present to ASEAN the same issue and ask them to oust Myanmar from ASEAN
- approach all country's that have relationship with Myanmar to freeze their relationship with this rogue country
- after we exhaust all effort to change behavior of this country and its people, we should write off the uncaring countries as callous sanctimonious bastards, which is actually the real condition for most of humanity, so we should not waste too much time on these fruitless diplomatic efforts, but we should be ready to take notice and downgrade our relationship with all countries that do not cooperate with us. We will have to be aggressive and make them choose, between Myamar or Bangladesh, either you are with us or against us
- then we should support a full scale insurgency by the Rohingya's, by arming them to teeth, in the meantime, we will get ready for a full scale war with these bastards
- the goal would be to carve out a buffer state from a part of Arakan/Rakhine state along Bangladesh border which will a de facto vassal state for Bangladesh with eventual goal of annexation into Bangladesh

The only other option is to kiss the dirty Bamar/Rakhine/Mog a&& and take all Rohingya's into our country and deal with them. The option to leave thing as is will continue to affect Bangladesh Myanmar relations for decades till the Rohingya's are completely purged, which is essentially the same as taking them all in but wasting time in the process.

Some may ask, what about future Myanmar-Bangladesh relations, I would say screw that, you can have relationship with human beings, but you cannot have relationship with animals and the animals will either submit to you or bite you. I say we make them submit to the the laws of humanity and equal rights. The whole world will be with us, or some of them will, even if no one is with us, I say we go in and take care of it on our own.

I am now going to post this on all Myanmar related threads.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...ethnic-cleansing-stopped-3.html#ixzz1xtUMBO93

- Bangladesh as the closest ethnic group to Rohingya's and the most affected refugee recipient of this ethnic cleansing, should take up this humanitarian cause and present it on world stage

The sooner the better.

- but we cannot do this under RAWamy Indian puppets, so we need to wait till these idiots are kicked out from power

Agreed, this stupid government needs to go. Less than a year remaining :lol:

- once RAWamy's are out and BNP is in, I recommend the following policy
- present to UN their 1982 citizenship law and ask for security council and general assembly resolution to oust Myanmar from UN, since their 1982 constitution many UN charters including the Declaration of Human Rights
- present to ASEAN the same issue and ask them to oust Myanmar from ASEAN
- approach all country's that have relationship with Myanmar to freeze their relationship with this rogue country
- after we exhaust all effort to change behavior of this country and its people, we should write off the uncaring countries as callous sanctimonious bastards, which is actually the real condition for most of humanity, so we should not waste too much time on these fruitless diplomatic efforts, but we should be ready to take notice and downgrade our relationship with all countries that do not cooperate with us. We will have to be aggressive and make them choose, between Myamar or Bangladesh, either you are with us or against us

That's harsh :lol:

I remember that term from Pres. Bush :D

- then we should support a full scale insurgency by the Rohingya's, by arming them to teeth, in the meantime, we will get ready for a full scale war with these bastards

That should be the last resort. UN peacekeeping can also be an option. We cannot do that all by ourselves though. More support need to be gathered.

- the goal would be to carve out a buffer state from a part of Arakan/Rakhine state along Bangladesh border which will a de facto vassal state for Bangladesh with eventual goal of annexation into Bangladesh.

The only other option is to kiss the dirty Bamar/Rakhine/Mog a&& and take all Rohingya's into our country and deal with them. The option to leave thing as is will continue to affect Bangladesh Myanmar relations for decades till the Rohingya's are completely purged, which is essentially the same as taking them all in but wasting time in the process.

Some may ask, what about future Myanmar-Bangladesh relations, I would say screw that, you can have relationship with human beings, but you cannot have relationship with animals and the animals will either submit to you or bite you. I say we make them submit to the the laws of humanity and equal rights. The whole world will be with us, or some of them will, even if no one is with us, I say we go in and take care of it on our own.

Yeah, Burma had been in a nutshell for half a century. I'd say, the Burmese have made a LOT of enemies. That's something that stupid people do.

I'd say let's see. Let diplomacy do the talking. Our armed forces need to be geared up in that time. And if all else fails, we can consider the UN. I'm sure they'll do something. Arming an insurgency is just too risky.

The Rohingyas have been suffering for a long time. In fact, their very existence is at stake. And I admit that it is our fault for not making it an issue at the UN.

Let's handle this professionally, we are not mindless barbarians like the Burmese.

The sooner the better.

Agreed, this stupid government needs to go. Less than a year remaining :lol:

That's harsh :lol:

I remember that term from Pres. Bush :D

That should be the last resort. UN peacekeeping can also be an option. We cannot do that all by ourselves though. More support need to be gathered.

Yeah, Burma had been in a nutshell for half a century. I'd say, the Burmese have made a LOT of enemies. That's something that stupid people do.

I'd say let's see. Let diplomacy do the talking. Our armed forces need to be geared up in that time. And if all else fails, we can consider the UN. I'm sure they'll do something. Arming an insurgency is just too risky.

The Rohingyas have been suffering for a long time. In fact, their very existence is at stake. And I admit that it is our fault for not making it an issue at the UN.

Let's handle this professionally, we are not mindless barbarians like the Burmese.

Of course we will handle it professionally, but we should not waste too much time on diplomacy, only while we get prepared for insurgency and eventual war.

Sometimes we need a national rally cry to unite the nation, this is one issue everyone will agree on, I believe and it will help heal our national disunity created by the divisive politics of the two parties led by these two ladies.

Going to war for a just cause is hard to find, this is one of those rare opportunities and we should utilize it, while we let diplomacy solve the problem during our preparation.

y
I dont think many countries will take note of such agressive stand, those who will may quickly vacate the embassies in bd and save some money. In the end you will end up going to India or myanmar for visa. :)
Do you even realize how funny (and somewhat cute) you sound.

Of course we will handle it professionally, but we should not waste too much time on diplomacy, only while we get prepared for insurgency and eventual war.

Sometimes we need a national rally cry to unite the nation, this is one issue everyone will agree on, I believe and it will help heal our national disunity created by the divisive politics of the two parties led by these two ladies.

Going to war for a just cause is hard to find, this is one of those rare opportunities and we should utilize it, while we let diplomacy solve the problem during our preparation.

I know the Burmese are a pain in the a$$.

But let's be patient.

It is one country where lawlessness rules, fighting continues at the north, and ethnic divides are still there even with the new government. It'll take years to heal.

I really doubt if Suu Kyi can do anything. Despite all the media hoo-haa, she is a powerless woman in my opinion.

War is always the last resort. Only stupid people do that. The Burmese did that, and look where they are now....lolz...what a country :lol:

We'll utilize the appropriate diplomatic channels with ALL parties. And avoid making aggressive statements against Myanmar. It'll antagonize them.

Let's be calm, but ensure Bangladesh's rights and interests are addressed and secured.

As I said, we need a strategy to deal with the Burmese threat.

I know the Burmese are a pain in the a$$.

But let's be patient.

It is one country where lawlessness rules, fighting continues at the north, and ethnic divides are still there even with the new government. It'll take years to heal.

I really doubt if Suu Kyi can do anything. Despite all the media hoo-haa, she is a powerless woman in my opinion.

War is always the last resort. Only stupid people do that. The Burmese did that, and look where they are now....lolz...what a country :lol:

We'll utilize the appropriate diplomatic channels with ALL parties. And avoid making aggressive statements against Myanmar. It'll antagonize them.

Let's be calm, but ensure Bangladesh's rights and interests are addressed and secured.

As I said, we need a strategy to deal with the Burmese threat.

Zabaniya, bro, I don't know how old you are. But I do not say any of these words lightly. Indian trolls of course think they know better, trying to enlighten me with their words of wisdom. They can shove it for all I care.

Bangladeshi's and even South Asians as a people are indecisive and confused. That has been my experience considering my five decades experience with these people.

I predicted the outcome of Al-Assad the moment the protests started and the way he handled it. It does not take long to understand people's innards if you look at them carefully. Same with geopolitics if you look at the details on the ground of any given situation. This is just one example. You will see the same with many other predictions I made about world situation.

What I told you in that post is what will happen. You can beat about the bush, but there is no way to avoid reality. You have to face it and deal with it, or live with the sh!t they dish out and eventually choose among the same old options.

Having said that, of course Bangladesh, its people, govt. will take their time to weigh all options to decide on a wise course, I have my wholehearted support for them to choose their own pace. But I also wholeheartedly believe that the options and outcomes will not change from what I stated.

And about antagonizing Burmese, I would take that as a compliment, absolutely I would like to threaten them and back them up with actions if they don't change their behavior.

I dont think many countries will take note of such agressive stand, those who will may quickly vacate the embassies in bd and save some money. In the end you will end up going to India or myanmar for visa. :)
Do you even realize how funny (and somewhat cute) you sound.

Yes you are a genius.

Yes you are a genius.
No, I will be genius by your standard, if I threaten to nuke US and rest of europe as well, if they dont agree to let us become permanent member of UN security council.
Even online, my sense of reality stays intact.

No, I will be genius by your standard, if I threaten to nuke US and rest of europe as well, if they dont agree to let us become permanent member of UN security council.
Even online, my sense of reality stays intact.

What he is saying is that India would not like war in its neighborhood, of course we understand their feeling, but someone has to solve this problem and we are in a position to do it. Burma is not like US or EU, the combined GDP of them is about 33 trillion, where as India's GDP is about 1.7 trillion, exactly 1/20th or 5% of the adversaries. Whereas Burmese GDP is less than half of Bangladesh and its population is 1/3 of Bangladesh. So the troll did not count his numbers as usual.

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What he is saying is that India would not like war in its neighborhood, of course we understand their feeling, but someone has to solve this problem and we are in a position to do it. Burma is not like US or EU, the combined GDP of them is about 33 trillion, where as India's GDP is about 1.7 trillion, exactly 1/20th or 5% of the adversaries. Whereas Burmese GDP is less than half of Bangladesh and its population is 1/3 of Bangladesh. So the troll did not count his numbers as usual.

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I did not understand a thing you are talking about. India will go to war/stop war with bd/burma because it has high GDP?
Has there ever been a precedent of that?
There was near civil war in nepal, did India get directly involved?
There was near civil war in lanka, did India get directly involved? (after IPKF fiasco)
India has her own headaches already, diplomacy yes, armed intervention no.

Even in diplomacy, India will be very careful not to hurt either side, and prefer bilateral engagement.

I did not understand a thing you are talking about. India will go to war/stop war with bd/burma because it has high GDP?
Has there ever been a precedent of that?
There was near civil war in nepal, did India get directly involved?
There was near civil war in lanka, did India get directly involved? (after IPKF fiasco)
India has her own headaches already, diplomacy yes, armed intervention no.

Even in diplomacy, India will be very careful not to hurt either side, and prefer bilateral engagement.

Burma is ethnic cleansing Rohingya, our ethnic kins, in stages and kicked out 1.2 million out a total of 2 million already making them the worlds worst persecuted minority. Also, they have found a new technique arming Buddhists Rakhines to carry out the ethnic cleansing and massacres, instead of the army getting directly involved.

This situation is comparable to India not getting UN security council membership, how?

I pointed out that India's economy is a paltry 5% of the US/EU combined economy, so India cannot even dream of attacking US/EU, they can just take out India's entire nuke arsenal and make a whole bunch of glass parking lots in the process.

Bangladesh has more than twice the GDP of Burma and 3 times the people, so we are in a position to support insurgency and even militarily intervene if needed, this side of Arakan Yoma mountains. These mountains are biggest strategic advantage for Bangladesh which separates ancient Arakan (Rakhine) from mainland Burma. In a protracted insurgency Burmese economy will further suffer and deals can be worked out with other insurgencies supported by other neighbor countries like China, Thailand etc.

For India, its own position in NE states is vulnerable, so it will be better for it to stay out of any of these conflicts and stay completely neutral. But we understand your negative feeling about any potential conflict, as it will destabilize the region, making NE states more unstable and block sea access to NE states via Sittwe port.

Aung San Suu Kyi has masterfully appeased all sides by calling for 'the rule of law' in Arakan.

Anything new on your side?

Apart from the fact this thread is getting diverted what are you talking about?

Why the hell should Bangladesh respond to sui ki. Who is she? What power does she have? What influence does she have? She is irrelevant until she rules. Bangladesh need not respond to some two bit politician.

Just cause she is of some importance to you does not mean she is anything to Bangladesh. You seem to think somehow Burma is remotely of any relevance to us. We have no economic or strategic relation with you. You people are more headache than you are worth.

As far as the Rohinga, again not Bangladeshs problem.

It is time the Burmese sort out their own issues. Only thing we need do is to send signal that if your internal problems spill over onto us we have options. You may think your army is somehow strong or whatever having been in war footing against your own people, if it comes down to it you are not going to be any match for Bangladesh or any professional disciplined army.

Bangladesh is not going to go war with u, because it is not in our national interest to go around picking a fight. As with any civilised country we are trying to industrialise and develop our economy. Our Army is deliberately small not because we cannot afford it but because there is national consensus that limited resources should be prioritised for nation building. If there was a war we would be going in to prevent genocide against a defenceless people not to invade. You talk about that will unite your country, in war it will unite us as well. We are homogeneous and we will unite quicker.

Furthermore, Bangladesh is more integrated with the world whilst you are a pariah state. Any action by Bangladesh will be taken in consultation with the major powers and with their blessing. Who do you have as friends? No one at all.

Don’t expect Bangladesh to make the mistake of thinking we can deal with your racist uncultured immature country in a civilised fashion. We have learnt from history and know your nature well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom