What's new

Myanmar-Bangladesh relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
yet indian govt from top to bottom jumping up and down on prospect of any business and economic link up btw Bangladesh and Myanmar. These indians really live in dark fed by indian media propaganda.

there you go. :woot:

Well, if they're importing capital goods for their manufacturing sectors that export to the West, then fair enough. But I don't see why you need rail connectivity for that. We are trying to hook up with China because we can be like the gatekeeper to their Southwest and also sell them our natural resources. Bangladesh on the other hand only offer manufactured goods like clothing. It'll be a while before China needs to import manufactured goods I think.

Anyway they point is moot as there will be no railway but I don't see why that's such a bad thing for the Bengalis.

Because of "hatred for India", they will believe in any pipedream.

Although this thread is about Bangladesh Myanmar relation, indians seems to be overly interested in instigating and keeping the animosity between Bangladesh and Myanmar. But since question is raised, Bangladeshis has no reason to love india, when

india Kill Bangladeshis every other day.
india use water terrorism against Bangladesh.
india aid terrorists against Bangladesh.
India put barrier on Bangladesh exports.
india interfere in Bangladesh internal matters and openly use RAW to detablize Bangladesh political and economic environment.
india encroach and occupy Bangladeshi land and island.

List goes on.......

Well we are not talking about small thing here and a rail connectivity will actually benefit all countries including Myanmar, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Bhutan and ofcourse China. We have plan to build a deep sea port with a cost $10 billion dollar in Sonadia. Without China and India on board the port will not be too profitable and the port will not compete with regional port of Myanmar, Chitttagong or Kolkata as the port will serve different type of Ships of 100,000 DWT and more. Connectivity will Myanmar will help Myanmar a lot too. We plan to import many things from Myanmar as well and will surpass many fold of Indian import.

This port will actually take some business away from Singapore not from Myanmar.
Where did you get this?

Rail link to Chittagong will surely gonna create competition for both Dawei Port and Kyaukphyu Port, so it seems highly likely they will not allow any rail line. At the same time you have decided not to provide any transit to India so the importance of Sittwe Port increased further for India.

It mostly seems China will use Kyaukphyu port to trade with Bangladesh and I don't think there would any world class port coming in Bangladesh.

I can only see Myanmar winning the race in long term.

Although this thread is about Bangladesh Myanmar relation, indians seems to be overly interested in instigating and keeping the animosity between Bangladesh and Myanmar. But since question is raised, Bangladeshis has no reason to love india, when

india Kill Bangladeshis every other day.
india use water terrorism against Bangladesh.
india aid terrorists against Bangladesh.
India put barrier on Bangladesh exports.
india interfere in Bangladesh internal matters and openly use RAW to detablize Bangladesh political and economic environment.
india encroach and occupy Bangladeshi land and island.

List goes on.......
we dont encroach and occupy your land.

Sounds like a pipe dream without India and China rail links.

Constructing rail lines through mountains is damn expensive. Right now we are constructing rail line in our Manipur state and the 111km rail lines has 35 tunnels, 85 bridges the 3 largest tunnels out of 35 tunnels being 5.8km, 4.5km and 3.5km long.

Seeing the rail line already coming to Kyaukphyu, it mostly seems China won't waste this much money on an expensive rail line for a single country.

Rail link to Chittagong will surely gonna create competition for both Dawei Port and Kyaukphyu Port, so it seems highly likely they will not allow any rail line. At the same time you have decided not to provide any transit to India so the importance of Sittwe Port increased further for India.

It mostly seems China will use Kyaukphyu port to trade with Bangladesh and I don't think there would any world class port coming in Bangladesh.

I can only see Myanmar winning the race in long term.

Those port serves feeder vessel from Singapore. How on earth Sonadia deep port compete with them. Rather those port in question will save money serving Sonadia port. Chittagong port has no intention to serve Chinese nor Myanmar.

Constructing rail lines through mountains is damn expensive. Right now we are constructing rail line in our Manipur state and the 111km rail lines has 35 tunnels, 85 bridges the 3 largest tunnels out of 35 tunnels being 5.8km, 4.5km and 3.5km long.

Seeing the rail line already coming to Kyaukphyu, it mostly seems China won't waste this much money on an expensive rail line for a single country.

China has a lot of money and they want to do it including building the deep sea port.

Those port serves feeder vessel from Singapore. How on earth Sonadia deep port compete with them. Rather those port in question will save money serving Sonadia port. Chittagong port has no intention to serve Chinese nor Myanmar.

Dawei port is to Serve ASEAN countries mainly Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, while Kyaukphyu is to serve China. Hope Sonadia will serve India when whole Bangladesh is against giving any transit to India otherwise I see more hope in Sittwe Port for India.

China has a lot of money and they want to do it including building the deep sea port.

Business minded rich people don't waste money without any hope of huge return.

Dawei port is to Serve ASEAN countries mainly Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, while Kyaukphyu is to serve China. Hope Sonadia will serve India when whole Bangladesh is against giving any transit to India otherwise I see more hope in Sittwe Port for India.

Why it is so hard for you to understand that Sonadia port is for complete different purpose and for Mother Vessel. None of the port you mentioned going to serve Mother Vessel and hence no competitor.

Business minded rich people don't waste money without any hope of huge return.

Exactly, thats why lots of people lined up to invest in deep sea port as well as Rail Link.

BD trade with China is complementary. We need huge Chinese Import to feed our export oriented industry as well as consumer goods which could be made available to our lower income group. The direct rail link will reduce to cost of import many fold. Besides export to China is increasing at an astronomical rate. We look forward to future.

I think the GoB and most of us Bangladeshis are expecting too much from Myanmar. But, it has already refused a BD-China rail link and it will perhaps refuse also the BD-China road traffic through its land. I find it very natural. We are not europe where they are trying to consolidate all the links to make it an effective EU. Same may be true among the countries of ASEAN.

But, in case of SAARC, even BD and Pakistan are not willing to provide connections to India. So, it is the similar mindset that stops Myanmar from allowing us our desired connecting routes. However, India's and our hopes lie with the Asian Highway that will guarantee highway connections of both India and Bangladesh to ASEAN as well as China.

So, we do not have to feel victim when Myanmar opposes connections, although I regret Myanmar is not even ready to give an AH connection to BD directly and, as a result, BD will have to connect itself to AH in India's NE.

What I mean, BD must free itself from the aspiration of getting a connectivity thru myanmar, and pursue a foreign policy towards that country so that the Rohingya issue is resolved.

It is due to price reduction in international market. Import and Export both reduced.

India links are there... China link, yes its very important. It will also benefit Myanmar.

Alaungphaya has correctly said Myanmar can live without giving a BD-Yunnan rail link. Myanmar wants to be the sole exit for China to the BoB. Even that will be helpful for us. China can bring in its goods through Myanmar via rail/road links, load the goods in the small ships that can take these to Ctg. or any other new port. The goods will be cheaper than if brought via Malakka Strait.

I think, there is no reason for Myanmar to forfeit its own privilege by allowing a Ctg-Yunnan route through its land. We are stupid enough to expect such things from another country when we ourselves are not willing to give one to India.

The South China - Myanmar - Bay of Bengal rail line has been planned in the minds of the Burmese, Chinese and even the British for almost 200 years. It's only a matter of time.

Alaungphaya has correctly said Myanmar can live without giving a BD-Yunnan rail link. Myanmar wants to be the sole exit for China to the BoB. Even that will be helpful for us. China can bring in its goods through Myanmar via rail/road links, load the goods in the small ships that can take these to Ctg. or any other new port. The goods will be cheaper than if brought via Malakka Strait.

I think, there is no reason for Myanmar to forfeit its own privilege by allowing a Ctg-Yunnan route through its land. We are stupid enough to expect such things from another country when we ourselves are not willing to give one to India.

Agree with this.

Exactly, thats why lots of people lined up to invest in deep sea port as well as Rail Link.

I googled about the proposed rail link. Chinese are building a rail line connecting Kyaukphyu with Kunming to be completed by 2015 but Chittagong-Kunming rail line seems still at proposal state where at all moments Bangladeshi officials are proposing it to China and Chinese officials looks little interested in that. There is proposal from Trans Asian Railways but that too will pass through North-East India.

Precisely why then it serves Bangladesh to try to appease us. If an alternate route other than India is so important to BD, then BD should be bending over backwards to accommodate Myanmar. So far you've kicked up a fuss over oil and gas rights and are refusing to accept your Bengali speaking, muslim brothers. Some here even talk about funding insurgencies. I'm sure there are political minds in real life scheming such a thing. Do you think that's going to help relations between BD and Myanmar? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom