What's new

Myanmar-Bangladesh relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no mistake about the news. Read it carefully, what i said is correct. Burma is such a trash without knowing how to deal with international commitment. They are a bunch of uncivilized thieves and pirates who came out of the Jungles. No one should expect any better from them.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=238515

I have read the comment, thats not how things work. This is not some dodgy contractor who just pocketed the $2 Billion and didn't get the work done. That is a huge amount, you think China would sit there and go, hey they took our money and didn't even do the work, god damn it.

Here's the same statement from a different newspaper, see how different it is. Will provide as opposed to provided.

The Chinese government has already given US$ one billion grant to set up rail tracks in Myanmar. As per the decision of the central government, we’ll provide a total of US$ 2 billion grant to Myanmar

And no where it says that $1 Billion is meant for Chittagong-Kungming line, as mentioned Alaungphaya, China is to construct a rail line to port city of Kyaukphyu in Rakhine state, and that $1 Billion is most probably meant for that, not for the Chittagong link.

Reading through that article again, I just realised that it says absolutely nothing about the China - Myanmar railway. Just the Chittagon - Kunming line. Their talk about Laos sounds irrelevant. Here is the lates article I could find in Chinese press about the railways (from Yunnan to Kyaukphyu in Arakan).

China Railway signs agreement with Myanmar

Kyaukphyu seems like a strategic deep seaport far away from Bangladesh border.

He just told what his country thinks.

Your comment speaks of an Indian mindset. I could not make you believe a news report from bangladesh, but you are trusting him as if he is already the PM of Burma. Indians must have enjoyed the kicking they received in burma after 1948.

Then what is it??

I did some research, after verdict of Bangladesh's High Court few years ago, it seems officially Bangladesh is a secular state but functionally Bangladesh is a theocracy with Islam as state religion.

Your comment speaks of an Indian mindset. I could not make you believe a news report from bangladesh, but you are trusting him as if he is already the PM of Burma. Indians must have enjoyed the kicking they received in burma after 1948.

1948 is the past now, we have to look into the future and we can't ignore Burma anymore because we got nothing by ignoring Burma and our North-East India remained undeveloped.

Since when Alaungphaya is the PM of Myanmar?

I'm trying to present what the general Burmese position would be based on logic and reason. Infact, I'm sure it was you yourself who said that Myanmar would have noting to gain from allowing Kunming to link to Chittagong and I agree.

Well, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

If we are to be a stakeholder on that, we should invest in the project along with other stakeholders. Considering many are saying the Chittagong will become an international trading hub, I think investment on our part will yield high returns. Right now, there's nothing solid on the matter. Not even a proposal.

Networking is crucial if Chittagong is to achieve that vision.

Kyaukphyu seems like a strategic deep seaport far away from Bangladesh border.

It is not. Before our relations heated up, Ramree-Kyakpru was the designated anchorage for larger vessels carrying cargo for Chittagong. Lighter vessels would go there to unload cargo for BD.

It is not. Before our relations heated up, Ramree-Kyakpru was the designated anchorage for larger vessels carrying cargo for Chittagong. Lighter vessels would go there to unload cargo for BD.

So, Bangladesh's dream of making Chittagong port a world class port now looks far away from reality. Also they preferred Kyaukphyu for rail connection instead of Chittagong.

blog-map-china-burma.jpg

So, Bangladesh's dream of making Chittagong port a world class port now looks far away from reality. Also they preferred Kyaukphyu for rail connection instead of Chittagong.

blog-map-china-burma.jpg

Dude, What is the volume of trade in Kyaukphyu? Banglades's trade with China currently stands at $7 billion dollar with a 25% increase in every year which can be increased many fold. So connectivity with Chittagong is very desirable for China.

Trade with BD itself will make the route feasible.

Dude, What is the volume of trade in Kyaukphyu? Banglades's trade with China currently stands at $7 billion dollar with a 25% increase in every year which can be increased many fold. So connectivity with Chittagong is very desirable for China.

The Kyaukphyu port is meant to reduce distance avoiding South China sea to trade with Middle east, Africa, South Asia.

According to the WTO, BD exports for China account for 1.7% of BD manufactured exports: Trade Profiles

So why is Chittagong connectivity very desirable?

A cursory search showed that the BD-China trade gap is Bangladesh negative by a few billion dollars. If that is the case then why would BD want to connect with China and deteriorate the trade gap even more?

The Kyaukphyu port is meant to reduce distance avoiding South China sea to trade with Middle east, Africa, South Asia.

Particularly for oil and gas imports into South China. The plan is to buy oil and gas from Myanmar and also use the same ports to land the oil and gas from the middle east and thus avoid going past the straits of Mallacca. This can the be further expanded to include all other merchandise coming from EMEA.

According to the WTO, BD exports for China account for 1.7% of BD manufactured exports: Trade Profiles

A cursory search showed that the BD-China trade gap is Bangladesh negative by a few billion dollars. If that is the case then why would BD want to connect with China and deteriorate the trade gap even more?

BD trade with China is complementary. We need huge Chinese Import to feed our export oriented industry as well as consumer goods which could be made available to our lower income group. The direct rail link will reduce to cost of import many fold. Besides export to China is increasing at an astronomical rate. We look forward to future.

Particularly for oil and gas imports into South China. The plan is to buy oil and gas from Myanmar and also use the same ports to land the oil and gas from the middle east and thus avoid going past the straits of Mallacca. This can the be further expanded to include all other merchandise coming from EMEA.

Here it is, they export more to India than China and import more from China than India, still they don't cry for China-Bangladesh trade imbalance.

5297655781_d51bf024b5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom