What's new

Muslim girls wearing Hijab barred from classes at Indian college

Last time I checked you were talking about uniformity and hijab- I gave on example of how it's possible

No one was talking about this issue, this thread isn't about that
It's about wearing hijab, we are talking about hijab rn not prayer time or anything

No need to deflect
Well you can go through the thread. If they wear hijab or burkha, it defeats the purpose of Uniform. Next they will ask for prayer break and hall, halal food. no male teacher etc. Nothing will be compatible with existing system if you follow Quran/islam.

School is for learning and not for showing up your religion.

What is the use of school uniform, Can you explain it.
Freedom of religion means, In private you can practice whatever you want. Not inside the school.
As per Islamic law, hijab is mandatory, you don't choose when and where to wear it, it is prescribed. It is then upto a Muslim woman if she chooses to follow those rules.

If you do not allow a student to follow mandatory parts of her/his religion as it is stated, then you do not allow the freedom and practice of religion.

And what is the purpose of school uniform in India? Indian society can be a little odd you see, so I would like to clarify with you beforehand. For example, in India, cows are something you worship as divine, however, you'll find in other parts of the world they are primarily used as livestock, among other things, but certainly not worshipped.

As for school uniform in western parts of the world, it is used to ensure a sense of formality and professionalism, while also representing your respective institution. It ensures everyone is appropriately clothed, without having a long list of banned clothing items, as there is a pre-defined uniform already in place. It also prevents socio-economic disparities between students from being easily visible, which reduces bullying.

Which is all perfectly possible even while wearing a hijab, as shown to you by numerous examples in this thread, in multiple professional institutions around the world, some more prestigious than a random school in India.

Please clarify if there is a special purpose for school uniform in India, which I've missed, that is unknown to the rest of us.

As per Islamic law, hijab is mandatory, you don't choose when and where to wear it, it is prescribed. It is then upto a Muslim woman if she chooses to follow those rules.

If you do not allow a student to follow mandatory parts of her/his religion as it is stated, then you do not allow the freedom and practice of religion.

And what is the purpose of school uniform in India? Indian society can be a little odd you see, so I would like to clarify with you beforehand. For example, in India, cows are something you worship as divine, however, you'll find in other parts of the world they are primarily used as livestock, among other things, but certainly not worshipped.

As for school uniform in western parts of the world, it is used to ensure a sense of formality and professionalism, while also representing your respective institution. It ensures everyone is appropriately clothed, without having a long list of banned clothing items, as there is a pre-defined uniform already in place. It also prevents socio-economic disparities between students from being easily visible, which reduces bullying.

Which is all perfectly possible even while wearing a hijab, as shown to you by numerous examples in this thread, in multiple professional institutions around the world, some more prestigious than a random school in India.

Please clarify if there is a special purpose for school uniform in India, which I've missed, that is unknown to the rest of us.

My understanding is that No one will look different or stand out. This will ensure that students will focus on education nothing else. It will also eliminate the social status difference.
There is big collection of hijabs and there is also fashion trends.

The level of Islamophobia the permeates the Indian society is just mind boggling.

My understanding is that No one will look different or stand out. This will ensure that students will focus on education nothing else. It will also eliminate the social status difference.
There is big collection of hijabs and there is also fashion trends.

Here I was, thinking that you would provide an argument based on actual substance, but it's simply something petty.

Your point regarding hijab "fashion trends" is pretty stupid, because you can simply stick to only allowing a simple, single coloured, hijab of the schools choosing, which they all must wear. Issue solved.

As for "looking different" and "standing out", everyone is literally already wearing the same uniform from head to toe. That is enough to fulfil the purpose intended for a school uniform.

How does wearing a hijab prevent anyone from focusing on education?

And there is no social status difference, it is religious diversity, which is very much present and acknowledged in India.

The most prestigious universities in the world, the most professional and powerful militaries in the world, operate perfectly and professionally with no disruption, yet it seems to be a problem for a random school in India.

Given the common, and rising, Islamaphobic sentiments in India, as well as the poor arguments provided by you, I think it would be correct to assume here that this is just some good old fashioned Islamaphobia. Would not be the first time!

Uniforms are meant to eliminate class distinction more than anything else. A student's religion is a rarely a secret, especially in the case of Muslims in India who are anyways identifiable through their name.

I think a lot of discussion is happening without context. The incident in question is about a college, not a school. Wearing hijab in school is a rarity. I don't recall a single Muslim classmate of mine wearing hijab during school days, at least in urban areas. In college some do wear, but mostly a head scarf and in some cases hijab. It so happens that certain colleges also do have a uniform, but it is not clear in this case if hijab was explicitly prohibited or the rules were silent about it.

Colleges celebrate religious festivals, especially Hindu festivals and Christmas. Eid was almost never celebrated. At the most the muslim friends would get biryani and sweets and we would wish them. So there is no appeasement happening here. My extended family members, all Hindus have started wishing each other Merry Christmas, making plum cakes and putting Christmas tree in their house because it feels very western and pretty pretty.

Here I was, thinking that you would provide an argument based on actual substance, but it's simply something petty.

Your point regarding hijab "fashion trends" is pretty stupid, because you can simply stick to only allowing a simple, single coloured, hijab of the schools choosing, which they all must wear. Issue solved.

As for "looking different" and "standing out", everyone is literally already wearing the same uniform from head to toe. That is enough to fulfil the purpose intended for a school uniform.

How does wearing a hijab prevent anyone from focusing on education?

And there is no social status difference, it is religious diversity, which is very much present and acknowledged in India.

The most prestigious universities in the world, the most professional and powerful militaries in the world, operate perfectly and professionally with no disruption, yet it seems to be a problem for a random school in India.

Given the common, and rising, Islamaphobic sentiments in India, as well as the poor arguments provided by you, I think it would be correct to assume here that this is just some good old fashioned Islamaphobia. Would not be the first time!

Well some schools don't allow, Tattoos, Nose/ear piercing etc.

What made the school suddenly change its position on hijab inside class room? Unnecessary restriction. :undecided:

17358871_298756240541970_6380748170417271629_o.jpg
Just like hindus do in Pakistan

Well some schools don't allow, Tattoos, Nose/ear piercing etc.
This directly relates to professionalism, which we discussed as one of the primary purposes for school uniforms.

It is also not done for religious reasons, as far as I am concerned, if it was, I'm sure any civil society would make an exception for them.
What made the school suddenly change its position on hijab inside class room? Unnecessary restriction. :undecided:
Take a wild guess 🙃

Basic common sense dictates that there is something called dress code/uniform. In India only Sikhs are allowed to wear a turban as part of their mandatory religious obligations, for anyone else it doesn’t apply. But logic is a rare thing in Amar Shonar Kangla.

Nope, Turbans are mandatory thats why they’re allowed everywhere as an exception. There has been plenty of debates in our courts regarding this same nonsense of seperate dresscodes for seperate faiths.

Hijab is also mandatory in Islam. So why are Sikhs allowed to follow their religion and not muslims? And with such a stupid argument u talk about logic?

This is just very sad. I come from the state of Karnataka. Udupi primarily has always been a BJP stronghold. Tensions here between Hindus and other minorities including Christians is always political. However, the city is very progressive in every other field particularly education. In Karnataka it is always the Udupi district that holds distinction for great results in school exams.
The great support that BJP has here has also mislead so many youth here and there are several ram-sena type hooligans attempting to uphold Hindus for this area. So it is not a surprise that this news is from here. I just wish we let kids study..

Back
Top Bottom