What's new

Multirole combat aircrafts, medium range SAM and UAV systems to be procured this fiscal year

Ministry of Defence discloses their purchasing plan for Air Force.
According to the MoD, BAF is to procure the following hardwares in 2016-17 fiscal year:
- 8 × Multirole Fighter Jets or MRCA
- 2 × Training Helicopters
- 11 × PT-6 Basic Trainer Aircrafts
- 6 × MiL Mi-171sh CAS/Transport Helicopters
- 2 × MSAR Helicopters
- UAV systems
- Medium Range Surface to Air Missile system
- A short Range Air Defence Radar
- A Long Range Air Defence Radar
Also, indicates that more MRCAs, Transport Helicopters & Mobile Pulse-Doppler radar systems are to be integrated in near future.
#MoD #FG2030 #BAF #

The critical item in this list is the 8 × Multirole Fighter Jets or MRCA.

I'm split on whether MiG-35's are a better option than the Chinese J-11s...

I'm guessing they aren't leaning toward Western options...

JF-17s could be available to Bangladesh and with few course correction, Bangladesh can get goo deal of weapons through Pakistan and China. But who are they going to use against? India?

What is Bangladesh's threat perception anyway? Who they think is likely to attack them or take benefit of their weakness? Again India?

upload_2016-12-10_11-23-2.png

BDAF-MiG29-03-692x360.jpg

Country PortfolioAsia Pacific
Dec 9, 2016 Bilal Khan -
Bangladesh is planning to procure eight new multi-role fighters
ShareTweet
Bangladesh’s Minister of Law Anisul Huq informed the Bangladesh Parliament that the government will be procuring eight multi-role combat aircraft for the Bangladesh Air Force.

As per local news outlets, such as the Daily News, Mr. Huq noted that the fighter acquisition – alongside the procurement of six Mi-171Sh helicopters, two maritime search and rescue helicopters, one medium-range surface-to-air missile system, and one unmanned aerial vehicle system – will be made in the current fiscal year of 2016-2017.

Mr. Huq also stated that procurements contracts for two training helicopters, a short-range air defence system, a long-range air surveillance radar, and 11 PT-6 basic trainers were signed in 2015-2016.

Long-term, the Government of Bangladesh will procure additional multi-role fighters, a new medium-lift helicopter, and a mobile radar system.

Notes & Comments:

It appears that the Government of Bangladesh has earmarked 2016-2017 for finalizing much-awaited modernization programs for the armed forces, especially the Bangladesh Air Force, which will see the procurement of multi-role fighter aircraft and enhancements to its integrated air defence system.

At the end of November, the Bangladesh Directorate General of Defence Purchases (DGDP) released an official tender for two anti-submarine warfare helicopters for the Bangladesh Navy.

In June, the Government of Bangladesh announced that it had increased the defence budget for 2016-2017 to $2.8 billion U.S. – i.e. a 7% increase from 2015-2016 (IHS Jane’s). At the time, the Dhaka Tribune added that the government would seek financing options from China and Russia to move forward with big-ticket arms acquisitions.
http://quwa.org/2016/12/09/bangladesh-is-planning-to-procure-eight-new-multi-role-fighters/

The critical item in this list is the 8 × Multirole Fighter Jets or MRCA.

I'm split on whether MiG-35's are a better option than the Chinese J-11s...

I'm guessing they aren't leaning toward Western options...
China can't sell J-11. It could be russian Flanker.
But I think BD probably secured Chinese loan during Chinese presiden's visit. So we probably getting LY-80 and 2nd hand J-10A

Last edited:
two maritime search and rescue helicopters

As discussed a few times recently - these will most probably be the AW-159 Wildcat, given the profusion of equipment from that vendor in all branches of the defence services.

AW159_specs_2016_03_30_19_26_22.jpg

As discussed a few times recently - these will most probably be the AW-159 Wildcat, given the profusion of equipment from that vendor in all branches of the defence services.

AW159_specs_2016_03_30_19_26_22.jpg
Probably AW 139 SAR Heliports I suspect. BAF already bought two of them. Why go for a new model & complicate the logistic?

Last edited:
China can't sell J-11. It could be russian Flanker.
But I think BD probably secured Chinese loan during Chinese presiden's visit. So we probably getting LY-80 and 2nd hand J-10A

LY-80 is almost certain for SAM.

Fighter is more likely to be Mig-29/35 as BD already operates Mig-29 and
J-10 is not yet ready with Chinese engine.

Forces Goal-2030 for Air Force
Forces Goal 2030 plans to make the Bangladesh Air Force a technologically advanced, well-trained and well-equipped force that can deter any threat. These plans emphasize strengthening air power and air defense capabilities.

The Air Force bought modern radar systems. JH-16 and YLC-2 radar systems were procured from China in 2013, while JY-11B[16] systems were to be delivered. Gamma DE[17] and Kasta 2E radar systems purchased from Russia under the $1 billion defense deal were to be delivered in 2016. Air Force also ordered Selex RAT-31DLradar from Italy in 2016.[18]

In 2011, BAF inducted its first SAM system, the FM 90, from China. In 2014, BAF procured one regiment of LY-80E medium range SAM systems which were to be delivered in 2015.

In 2016 12 new PT-6 Basic trainers were to be procured to replace the fleet of old PT-6s. BAF procured nine K-8 Advance jet trainers to complement the fleet of seven L-39s. In 2015, BAF added three Let L-410 Turbolets into a newly formed squadron of Transport trainers. The Air Force also procured 16 Yakovlev Yak-130 Lead-in fighter trainer aircraft from Russia. The first six aircraft were delivered while the other ten were to be delivered in 2016.

The Bangladesh Air Force procured eleven Mil Mi-171Sh helicopters from Russia from 2010 to 2015 that can be used for both transport and attack roles. BAF also procured two AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters from Italy for maritime SAR operations. One Mil Mi-171E helicopter and five Mil Mi-171Sh helicopters are on order.

Four Lockheed C-130 Hercules were to be procured from the US Air Force, along with 20 Rolls-Royce T56 engines, training and other equipment and services associated with the upgrade.

BAF intended to acquire ten squadrons of 4++ generation fighters by 2030. These ten squadrons were to consist of four multirole and six air superiority squadrons. BAF planned to have at least four squadrons of 4++ generation fighters by 2021.

Two new bases were set up, Bangabandhu air base at Dhaka and another forward operation base at Cox’s Bazar.

The government set up Bangabandhu Aeronautical Centre in Dhaka to attain self-sufficiency in building and maintaining aircraft. An overhaul plant for F-7 aircraft were set up for maintenance of BAFs F-7 fleet. With Russian assistance, another maintenance plant for Mi-17 helicopters is under development there.

On 25 January 2015, Minister for Public Administration Syed Ashraful Islam said that the government planned to buy multirole combat aircraft, medium range fixed wing transport aircraft and helicopter trainer.[19]

whether MiG-35's are a better option than the Chinese J-11s.
Is Chinese J-11s are for sale to BD or any other foreign destinations?

unmanned aerial vehicle system

I wish this UAV to be a "High altitude, long endurance" one or a HALE. Any information about the type? Are the UAVs used for spying or bombing? A few HALE UAVs will certainly cause our friends in the neighborhood to cry loud. I believe, the GoB will give an excuse that the existence of terrorists in BD is the reason for procuring the UAVs.

LY-80 is almost certain for SAM.

Fighter is more likely to be Mig-29/35 as BD already operates Mig-29 and
J-10 is not yet ready with Chinese engine.
Mig-29 production line is closed except Mig-29k and they have no plan of opening it.

Besides Russians not going to open a production line for Mig-35 only for a order of 8 fighter for a price that BD would be willing to pay. The,only fighter Russia can offer now are Su-30s.
But my gutts feeling is that this time J-10A second hand with China loan. BD already spent all of 1 billion dollar Russian loan.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom