What's new

MRCA conteders narrowed to Eurofighter and Rafael: IAF

Well that settles it, The Eurofighter is getting the deal.

Nonsense decision if so...as usual the Indians(no offence meant here) picked the shiniest and costliest toy.Not the most useful one.

Nonsense decision if so...as usual the Indians(no offence meant here) picked the shiniest and costliest toy.Not the most useful one.

I guess Americans wud be more than happy about ordering 6 more C-17s Transport aircraft to the already 10 ordered

So F-18s may be out

For those who do not know TimesNow is TV Channel of TOI.

Why is it a nonsensical decision? Your critique seems to be pre-mature. We still do not know what comes from this deal? How this one purchase can help bringing about more jobs or other equipment, with manufacture in India, the cost will come down!

As for your comment on "shiniest and costliest ", if you look back, we have always bought Russian equipment in large quantities because they were low cost and efficient.

Guys no other source has confimed this NEWS , this seems to be some hype created. Can't believe, because have been searching the net for an hour or so no other source.

we shd wait on the official statement if there is one! such gigantic deals are generally 'political'

Right said fatman17, until there is no official statement nothing can be said, politics is involved last minute decision are always expected. My bet is still on F/A-18 sh i could be wrong.

IMHO, This news should be taken with a truckload of salt! GoI would loose quite a bit of negotiating power if it limits itself to these two options for the second round.

However if proven true then this definitely tilt the scales in favour of typhoon. Keep an eye on the engine selection for LCA. That would a much better indicator of which way the wind is blowing.

my god! both are expensive. what is iaf thinking?
The whole reason for IAF to allow them to participate was because IAF can afford them. French and Germans have a mature industry and AESA's future coming cannot be denied by the time deliveries start. Their skills aren't dubious.

But this is a smart decision to go with European countries.

one thing you can learn from this is that one must never loose hope.The rafael was removed from the competition earlier due to some problems (i dont know what exactly).They came back and now they are the leading contenders.

man i am so happy that now PAF which many people were saying done wrong to buy U.S F-16s Block-52s, but now they could go for another 32 Block-52s and with the total fleet of 50 Blk-52s (25 Cs , 25 Ds) yup man...
So the fleet might be :
F-16 Block-15 (MLU-3):59
F-16 Block-52 :50
J-10B :50-100
JF-17 : 200-250(in three blocks)

one thing you can learn from this is that one must never loose hope.The rafael was removed from the competition earlier due to some problems (i dont know what exactly).They came back and now they are the leading contenders.

The claim then and this one again are only media reports, the only official statement in that time was the refusal, that Rafale was out. So we have to be careful with media reports, although I would like to see the Rafale beeing shortlisted, I highly doubt that MoD would only shortlist 2 fighters, because it gives you less chances to get improved offers by the vendors. I expect at least 3 fighters to enter the final stage, some possibly only to put more pressure on others.
Regarding the EF, as I said before, I would be surprised if it would be shortlisted, because from all reports and sources I know, it don't fit to the requirements of IAF. It can't offer an AESA radar till 2014, when the first squad should be inducted, it is still very limited in A2G capabilities and the risk of further delays, because lack of funding is rising if the partners don't buy the initial ordered fighters. These points, combined with the highest costs should make it very difficult for IAF to take the EF as a serious contender.

I still think Rafale and F18SH are the frontrunners and will be shortlisted to the final stages!

Well , if its true then that was quick by indian standard
However y reading the article i come to the conclusion that F/A18 will be given a chance to improve its performance , or to say the least it will be in the shortlist of 3 fighters which will be announced shortly
Frankly the CEO of EADS had a smug look on his face and he did announced in the media that he will sleep soundly.
Maybe thats becoz of selection of Eurofighter in the shortlist.
however selection in shortlist is one thing and gettig the contract is another
I still believe that Rafale and F/A18 have a greater chance of selection than Eurofighter becoz the major requirement of mmrca is good ground attack capability since the main role of these aircraft is to replace Mig27 and to some extend the Jaguar , both of which are ground attack aircrafts
So my vote goes to RAFALE

Back
Top Bottom