What's new

Minister: Iran May Drop Gas Pipeline Project with Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
suddenly a whole bunch of comments got removed !! i think the site encountered some sort of prob :what:

i understand what u say , but first of all business stuff is much more complicated than what u say .

if iran is selling turkemans with lower price , they in return are selling us cheap water as we need it .

if iran is selling china with a lower price its because china buys 20 times more than pakistan(for ex. , i'm not sure how much)

and also if u didnt like the price , u could have simply noy accept the offer in the first place !!!

no need to accept it then in the middle of the work call for renegotiation

We don't know when the price was agreed upon by President Zardari's govt. The research paper on Iran Pakistan gas pipeline will be out in a couple of days, and then we can find out what are the details that might lead to this project being cancelled. I believe, if this project is completed, Iran has more to gain as the Chinese have indicated willingness to extend the pipeline to Xinjiang instead of shipping their gas from Iran.

This report is due, in a week's time.

book_launching_energy.jpg

We don't know when the price was agreed upon by President Zardari's govt. The research paper on Iran Pakistan gas pipeline will be out in a couple of days, and then we can find out what are the details that might lead to this project being cancelled. I believe, if this project is completed, Iran has more to gain as the Chinese have indicated willingness to extend the pipeline to Xinjiang instead of shipping their gas from Iran.

hope the project doesnt get canceled as its win-win for every one

anyway i wish the people of pakistan prosperity

The agreement rate for Pakistan is more than $15/MMBTU if calculated in relation to the current JCC prices though Iran is supplying gas to Turkmenistan at a rate of $4/MMBTU.

Iran had made gas sale contract with China at much lower price but on the other side it is almost 3 times what is decided with Pakistan so its needed to renegotiate the price.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-n...-sdpi-report-suggests-renegotiating-gas-price

@kollang

At this price which is 4X higher than that of Iran Turkamenistan , the end Pakistani user cannot afford the Iranian gas which means its financially nonviable. Iran By selling at 4X the regional price, Iran is trying to manipulate our energy starved market.
Iran doesnt export gas to Turkmenistan.in fact we import it as its hard to build a pipe line from south to north.

Yet,I am waiting for you to give us a source regarding your claim on the price of exporting gas to China.

It was more like a political move in Pakistan-America tensions.

Could be. Maybe an attempt by Zardari to kill two birds with one stone. He definitely succeeded in one of them... that is to let NS govt deal with the fallout!

Could be. Maybe an attempt by Zardari to kill two birds with one stone. He definitely succeeded in one of them... that is to let NS govt deal with the fallout!

Zardari couldn't have done it without army's consent. Iran-Pakistan pipeline had all to do with America-Pakistan dynamics and prevailing tensions as America is withdrawing troops from Afghanistan.

Obviously, you didn't understand what was being said here. Iran is selling gas to China at 3X less than the price compared to what its selling to Pakistan. Its not that the Chinese are supplying us gas at a lower price. I hope that the price can be negotiated and project is finished.
Since when Iran is selling gas to China my dear? We only sell them oil, nothing else.

I don't know what has been going on between 2 countries, but it's very strange, because Iran itself has proposed the project and Pakistan too needs natural gas no matter what, so it's either that they haven't reached a deal on gas prices or U.S is playing some dirty games behind the scenes.

At this price which is 4X higher than that of Iran Turkamenistan , the end Pakistani user cannot afford the Iranian gas which means its financially nonviable. Iran By selling at 4X the regional price, Iran is trying to manipulate our energy starved market.

4x of the gas prices? It's highly unlikely. Iran knows it won't be a deal if it proposes such a ridiculous price, of course Pakistan won't accept it. Even if you buy gas from U.S itself, the prices won't be as high as 4x of the international gas prices.

Last edited:
Zardari couldn't have done it without army's consent. Iran-Pakistan pipeline had all to do with America-Pakistan dynamics and prevailing tensions as America is withdrawing troops from Afghanistan.

Oh well.. when it comes to foreign policy in Pakistan, nothing moves without PA's consent. Maybe you have a point there when you say this IP pipeline had to do with America-Pakistan dynamics. But it's also true that PML(N) feels this is an irritant left behind by Zardari led PPP govt for next govt to deal with. Here is a little quote from one of many articles on this subject..

But disturbingly, the PML-N, the party with the best chance of forming the next government, has expressed reservations. Its spokesman Mushahid Ullah has said that PML-N would review the pipeline project. Tariq Fatemi, foreign policy adviser to Nawaz Sharif, has lamented that the PPP-led government would be “bequeathing to the next government this huge irritant in Pakistan-US relations”, indicating that PML-N views the pipeline as a problem rather than an opportunity.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-9-165923-Politics-and-the-pipeline

exactly !! @Armstrong : bro as one of few sane members here , whats ur (pakistan) problem ? no really !!

first u claim ur our friends then every single pakistani move recently was against irans national interests

plus pakistani members in this forum seem to be happy with that !!!

Whats our problem ? What ever do you mean ?

We didn't force Iran to strike up an enmity with Israel, the United States or pretty much the rest of the Western World - You did that yourself !

Naturally that has had a detrimental effect on this pipeline !

We need the gas...we need it bad but not at the cost of US & later UN Sponsored Sanctions practically nuking our already sunk economy !

On top of that the problem is precipitated further because of (a) the pricing issues & (b) the funding issues - Usually we've always funded our Big Capital Expenditures on Infrastructure through the IMF, the ADB, the WB or the sort - Right now none of them are willing to touch the IP with a 10 foot barge pool because of the looming sanctions !

So no funding + pricing disagreements + prospected sanctions on Pakistan = No IP !

So do both of us a favor & sort out your disagreements with the United States & for a change bury the rhetoric about Israel being wiped away from the face of the Earth so that we can take this forward !

Try to understand Our Limitations here instead of getting all worked up about something that we've repeatedly stressed is needed by Pakistan & can be, potentially, extended all the way up to China, if need be & thereby its inherent potential further enhanced !

And pray tell me how is this move any more or less 'against Iran' than some of your bestest buddies cutting Oil Imports from Iran because the Yanks asked them to ?

At least we've went out on our leg on this project - the Yanks aren't supporting it, the Arabs certainly are not & neither are most others in the Western Camp !

You want a Confrontationalist Approach - Be my guest but we don't have Oil to fall back to - We've got our limits & so we can't go for something that has (a) pricing issues & (b) is going to have massive detrimental effects for our economy !

And the reason why most Pakistanis aren't supporting this Pipeline is because, barring the idiotic & corrupt Government of the last term, every Analyst worth their salt was writing in Pakistan about how the Pipeline not only has unfavorable pricing terms for us but also is a magnet for more sanctions !

So you can't really blame us for asking ourselves - Wait a minute, are we really willing to shoot ourselves in the foot with this project ? And for what ? God Bless Iran but we're not exactly Strategic Allies ! Heck even your Strategic Allies have bailed on you lately.

No problem ...

Looks like their politicians took you for a ride. More a photo op than anything meaningful. The day India broke the negotiations I knew this pipeline would never materialize. It was a foregone conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom