What's new

Mig 29 bought for BAF?

F-16 Blk 40/42 that are in Excess Storage are in really good shape but they come at a cost around $45M+ baeline [not 10M-15M], Just look at PAF F-16 procurement you'll understand the huge costs.

Consider T-50 Golden Eagle all weather attack variant a spinoff limited capability F-16 costs $30M baseline and is under development where as JFT under $25M offer more than what T-50 would offer at later stages due to restrictions imposed by US, why would you want to procure T-50GE when even YAK-130/131/135 offers you the same.

The question is would USA sell them f-16s?

And the funny part is our annual defence budget is around 1.2 billion and we do not have any military conflicts with either of the two nations we border.

We only have 8 4th generation planes and they are talking about buying 5th generation planes

We all dream bud...

The question is would USA sell them f-16s?

For Lockheed Martin the production line to be open and the to create Jobs, I believe F-16s can be offered or asked for. Either BAF is reluctant OR BAF doctrine prohibits US made Fighter due to Pakistan-Indonesia like scenario, But it is a valid reason for BAF not go for US made F-16s due to any possible restrictions sanctions to be imposed, they are real.

I Think we are going into circles; the thread has served its purpose.

1- BAF surely is going for YAK-130/131 Advance Trainers [12-16 in number] and could be used as Light Attack Aircraft.
2- BAF has already ordered stop gap F-7BGI [16 in number]
3- BAF is also procuring russian basic trainers.

BAF is left with no budget to procure any other Advance Platform [most of it is in form of softloans] for the next 7-10 Year except for an advance procurement order after brief test-trials of platforms, perhaps from 2017+ replacing all older fighters.

And the funny part is our annual defence budget is around 1.2 billion and we do not have any military conflicts with either of the two nations we border.

We only have 8 4th generation planes and they are talking about buying 5th generation planes

If we do not expect to ever have military conflicts with any neighbor nations, why do we need armed forces and spend all this money, time and effort and a significant part of our budget? Its called "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" and "eternal vigilance is the price of freedom". We must be prepared, anything can happen anytime.

My knowledge of military hardware is limited, I am hoping to learn throwing outlandish ideas to see what makes sense and what does not.

But one thing I know is that a people who cannot make a proper que in single file (Russians), we should not be buying machines from them, no matter how famous and legendary their product line is.

Also I think we will get aligned with ASEAN nations in a US Pivot type arrangements in the future, so it will be good to have matching equipment for better inter-operability with hardware in these US allied countries, such as Indonesia, Phillippines, Singapore, South Korea, Japan etc.

I know we cannot match India with fire power, but we definitely need to have superiority over Burma, specially in air power. Using used F-16, I think it can be cheaply done in the immediate future.

The Rates are +/- baseline Variants...The rate does not include over the life time cost but it should be much lesser, SU-35 is far better standards of manufacturing then the previous flanker-migs. That makes it stand out as a worthy platform to be acquired.

BAF loses nothing IF russians offer it on softloans and re-scheduling of loans-debt is not a big problem.

There is another aircraft Chinese J-15 Flying Shark, which is currently going under trials with Chinese Engine but IF BAF opts to acquire it will have to lose russian friendship or the other way is to release a tender listing certain aircrafts including J-15 that could make russians offer SU-35 at reasonable rate.

People...It has been discussed to death in related Threads.

BAF is aiming for russian Advance Trainers [YAK-130/131 dual use light Attack variant] and Chinese F-7BGI [2012-2013] as a Stop Gap that will Fly till 2025 likely due to new Airframes. The news coming out is current Mig-29 might be refurb-upgraded estimated around $70M that most likely soft loans.

Anything new BAF has to decide now and order may commenced 2017+; IN 2017 SU-35/J-15/J-10B are the only way forward as Next Gen Fighter Program for BAF.

It is purely my personal opinion, but I would avoid brand new Russian or Chinese planes. It is cheaper to get used F-16's. We could also get just a few F16 e/f block 60, around 50-55 million a piece, for air superiority. When f35 start replacing f16, there will be a lot of these used ones in the market, this should be a very productive and useful platform for poor countries like Bangladesh.

F-16 Blk 40/42 that are in Excess Storage are in really good shape but they come with a Cost around $40M+ baseline [not 10M-15M], Just look at PAF F-16 procurement you'll understand the huge costs.

Consider T-50 Golden Eagle all weather attack variant a spinoff limited capability F-16 costs $30M baseline and is under development where as JFT under $25M offer more than what T-50 would offer at later stages due to restrictions imposed by US, why would you want to procure T-50GE when even YAK-130/131/135 offers you the same.

Even israelis rejected T-50 both advance trainer and the proposed T-50 attack variant, israelis are known to scrutinize platform very carefully professionally.

Yes, but Korea, Indonesia and Philippines are going ahead with T/TA/FA-50 platform, the attack version. Israeli's were looking at trainers only:
Korea’s T-50 Family Spreads Its Wings

May 25/11: Indonesia win. Well, that was fast. KAI executive VP Enes Park is quoted as saying that the Indonesian Defense Ministry signed a $400 million deal for 16 jets – or $25 million per plane, which is not the deep discount deal touted earlier. Aviation Week says that the contract reportedly involves a T-50 with a gun and weapon pylons (i.e. TA-50), though the actual designation is T-50I.

The planes will replace about 10 Hawk Mk.53 subsonic trainers, and may also supplement or replace the TNI-AU’s 5-6 remaining F-5E/F fighters. Read “Indonesia Looking for Trainer/Attack Aircraft” for full coverage.

Jan 4/12: Flight International reports that South Korea has placed a $600 million order for 20 FA-50 fighters. This is the 1st order for the new type, and KAI will reportedly deliver the aircraft from 2013 – 2014.

So far, Flight International is the sole source for this report. South Korean orders could eventually swell to over 100 FA-50s, as the ROKAF seeks to replace its F-5E/Fs. This could also help in competitions like Poland’s, by broadening KAI’s in-production T-50 family technology options.

Feb 16/12: Israel loss. The T-50 loses to Alenia’s M-346, as the preferred bidder to stock IAI & Elbit’s TOR public-private joint training venture. Governmental approval is required, and a contract award for 30 planes is expected later in 2012. If the expected billion-dollar contract is signed, deliveries would be expected to begin in the middle of 2014.

In return, Italy is rumored to have pledged to buy an equivalent amount of equipment from Israel: IAI’s CAEW 550 AEW&C jets, and a new jointly-developed reconnaissance satellite. Then again, South Korea has been buying a lot of defense gear from Israel. The question is whether that will continue now. Read “Trainer Jets for Israel: From the Skyhawk, to the Master” for full coverage.

June 20/12: Philippine buy? ABS-CBN news of the Philippines quotes Philippine air force officials as saying they will buy 12 TA-50s, in order to restore the air force’s ability to police Philippine airspace.
That ability was lost when the country retired its remaining F-5 aircraft in 2005, and the USA no longer bases fighters at Clark AB or USNB Subic Bay. Chinese violations of Philippine airspace and claimed maritime zones have been creating a lot of tension, and the country has been looking at its options for a couple of years now. Their efforts have involved requests for 12 used American F-16s, as well as examination of KAI’s TA-50 and Alenia’s M-346 Master. The M-346 doesn’t have an armed version yet, and the USA hasn’t issued a formal DSCA clearance yet. That leaves the TA-50 as its only approved option that can be bought right now.

The TA-50 deal is reportedly worth around 25 billion pesos (about $590 million), with a contract expected by the end of 2012. All 12 fighter jets are expected to be delivered by the end of 2013. If so, the Philippines would join its neighbor Indonesia as a TA-50 customer.

A 2nd contract for 6 fixed-wing aircraft is expected to replace the country’s OV-10 Bronco counter-insurgency planes, and designs from the USA (likely the AT-6B), Brazil (Super Tucano), and Korea (likely the KT-1) are expected to compete. Given the TA-50’s 2-seat design and ability to use laser-guided weapons, another possibility would be to add options to any TA-50 contract, and use it in both roles. This would be less effective for counter-insurgency, or as an intermediate trainer, but contribute more to airspace policing and defense. It depends where the country’s priorities lie at the time, and external events are unstable enough to change them. Philippines’ ABS-CBN | ABS-CBN re: 2nd buy | South Korea’s Yonhap.

For Lockheed Martin the production line to be open and the to create Jobs, I believe F-16s can be offered or asked for. Either BAF is reluctant OR BAF doctrine prohibits US made Fighter due to Pakistan-Indonesia like scenario, But it is a valid reason for BAF not go for US made F-16s due to any possible restrictions sanctions to be imposed, they are real.

1- BAF surely is going for YAK-130/131 Advance Trainers [12-16 in number] and could be used as Light Attack Aircraft.

BAF is left with no budget to procure any other Advance Platform [most of it is in form of softloans] for the next 7-10 Year except for an advance procurement order after brief test-trials of platforms, perhaps from 2017+ replacing all older fighters.

I think Bangladesh will certainly get 8 Mig 29 SMT within the tenure of this government.
SU-30 is the best platform for the BAF considering China operates them and build them. Bangladesh can get spares from China if Russia ever declined to provide support.

I think Bangladesh will certainly get 8 Mig 29 SMT within the tenure of this government.
SU-30 is the best platform for the BAF considering China operates them and build them. Bangladesh can get spares from China if Russia ever declined to provide support.
But against whom you want to pitch against them. If its India, India knows Su 30 MKI which is way better than SU-30 and Mig29 SMT is also known to us......I think J-10B should be the best option for BAF. One squadron of about 18 to 20 planes is sufficient enough right now.

^^^ discussion happened to get 36 J-10 for 1.5 billion in last govt. tenure . we are probably getting 8 more mig-29 SMT to supplement our existing 8 mig-29 and upgrade those SMT standard. beside this We may buy SU-30 for deep strike mission

i am sure she meant by mig29 will come within her tenure and the rest mig29 will be upgraded

i think all the aircraft will Arrive by the time she leaves

aside from that i would say Bangladesh can try the T50 of Korea it is a good plane it will sale good
the only disadvantage about it is that it is not cheap

But against whom you want to pitch against them. If its India, India knows Su 30 MKI which is way better than SU-30 and Mig29 SMT is also known to us......I think J-10B should be the best option for BAF. One squadron of about 18 to 20 planes is sufficient enough right now.

Converse is that BD would know the performance parameters of the Indian Su-30s and air-to-air missiles, and so could prepare tactics to counter this.

IMO, the Mig-29s should all the sold off and BD should aim for a force of 24 J-10B and 24 Su-30 by the end of this decade.

The J-10B can be an air superiority fighter that would protect BD airspace and the SU-30 can do this but also act as a deep strike bomber to target distance targets.

China will never sell their latest fighters to BAF, not unless they want India to get a real good look at it. I mean India pretty much owns Bangladesh, so they are not going to risk it.

BD has a lot more money than many think.

The relatively low defence budget of 1.5 billion dollars a year does not include major purchases such as fighter aircraft, ships and tanks.

Major hardware purchases would be provided by the BD government from a separate fund.

Where would be money come from? GDP growth of 6-7% a year and the government is already on its way to increase the proportion of GDP spent each year by the state from 15-20% by the end of this decade.

China will never sell their latest fighters to BAF, not unless they want India to get a real good look at it. I mean India pretty much owns Bangladesh, so they are not going to risk it.

Good point.

However if the BNP came into power, it is possible that an export version with a downgraded radar and not the most advanced
AAMs could be offered.

Converse is that BD would know the performance parameters of the Indian Su-30s and air-to-air missiles, and so could prepare tactics to counter this.

IMO, the Mig-29s should all the sold off and BD should aim for a force of 24 J-10B and 24 Su-30 by the end of this decade.

The J-10B can be an air superiority fighter that would protect BD airspace and the SU-30 can do this but also act as a deep strike bomber to target distance targets.
By the time you get to know about Su30 and Mig29, we will be inducting Rafale...then again to catch up. Su-30MKI is way different due to its israeli and french avionics in it.

Our naval wing will be sufficient for BAF, Mig 29K, Rafale M (possible), N-LCA, by then....so forget about countering, just induct them to learn them....and may be after 2 decade you MAY counter IAF.

Thankyou for the information. I think SU-30 is selling like hot cakes everywhere BAF needs to look into that platform, secondly there would be no worries of any sanction, Chinese have their indigenous Flankers in case Russians impose sanctions in case of conflict on behest of hindustan. But you people would be out of luck if you procure cold war Fulcrums. Atleast 300 Fulcrums are in deplorable conditions in Russia that are ready to be sold [after upgrades] in a second hand price out of russian inventory.

:rofl::rofl:

really love the humor some of the members make here, do Indian armed forces need any assistance from Russia (sanctions as u said) "IF" there is a conflict with BD???? Also BD can buy any military equipment from China only in the peace time, since at the time of conflict India will not let anything transit to BD through it's airspace as BD is surrounded by India on 3 sides & with water on fourth. so there is no question of weather u buy it from Russia or China.

+ how the hell BAF can afford 300 fulcrums even at a second hand price???

i am sure she meant by mig29 will come within her tenure and the rest mig29 will be upgraded

i think all the aircraft will Arrive by the time she leaves

aside from that i would say Bangladesh can try the T50 of Korea it is a good plane it will sale good
the only disadvantage about it is that it is not cheap

It is not cheap ? how cheap aircraft you want to get us ? mig-21 :blah: :blah:

Back
Top Bottom