What's new

Michael Holding During PAK VS WI match said right things about IPL

please hate IPL, If Jerome Taylor isnt up for his national duties its his mistake not IPL, ravi bopara also skipped this years IPL in order to cement his place in the national side why cant taylor do it?

i agree....it is not completely IPL's fault but there should be a window to play the IPL adn the players must show that they have a good mind in their money rich heads by putting country first...

Ah the IPL is still haunting few.... LOL

then there would be only kenya, pakistan and zimbabwe remaining, all other international players are playing lol.

even in such a scenario still i think out of those three team's kenya will win the world cup.

jerone taylor not selected for the WI side to play pakistan series...

does Michael holding wants jerone taylor to seat at home and watch WI-pakistan series inplace of playing in IPL ?

how are football national games dead?
well count the number of national games vs the number of club games...and you'd see my point...
there are not much bi-national/tri-national tournos between all of the football playing nations...
Cricket is the only major team sport that promotes national teams over domestic teams.
and we absolutely love that!
Domestic helps develop players and also develop that sport in a particular area.
ok two things...
first I agree about the domestic cricket thing and second...IPL is not like domestic cricket...
we have our domestic cricket happening parallely...
IMO national games are supose to be somewhat like a special event like in Football and Rugby.
apart from the money...there is no honor in playing for a club and increasing your rating so that you get sold-off for millions...and it keeps on happening...
when a player dons his national jersey...it;s not just money that he plays for(although our players get enough of it there also)...it's national pride!
I would love if things stay that way...

honey your gotta make money !

if this way of making money is not fine then - i don't agree international cricket is right either - with all the corruption that exist there. at-least here players are not beggars.

i would like to see all these arm chair warrior to deny the money they very well deserve and then point finger on players.

holding is just one person who left his country for playing in county cricket. and retire before his time .. now he is being a saint bloody pseudo .

didnt he play for kerry packer super series ?????

Why a life in sport, and if not, what would you have done? I am happy to have done what I do. World Series Cricket, brought in by Kerry Packer was great for me. I played a couple of years of Test cricket and went to University and did not intend to be a professional cricketer. I got a Sussex contract, Tony Greig was there at the time, and there was not a long of money in the game and I would not have enjoyed trudging around the county circuit for low money. I was attending University and Kerry Packer was offering a contract, and I went and played. I have not looked back, enjoyed it all. I would do the same again. If I had not been a cricketer, I was into computer science. I was doing computer programming for Barclays Bank when they were still in Jamaica. Then I moved on to a Government department.

My Sport: Michael Holding - Telegraph

he is just jealous that he is making dime with his worthless commentary while others are milking money.

For all those guys who think nation vs nation should be encouraged over club vs club,I have a simple question-

Ever thought how many people in India or pakistan or any other country pick up a bat or bowl to play for India /Pakistan and how many end up playing for the nation ?We all know how much money domestic 4 days cricket offers to the local players.Think about the players who never got to play for India but are playing IPL and are now financial secure.

If you want young kids to take up sports it should be atleast financially secure if not lucrative.

Example- EPL gives Decent to lavish livelyhood to 20 clubs(premiership)x 15(average english members in the squad of 30 plus)=300 English players.
Remember the English National Squad can have only 20 Players.

A certain Ryan Giiggs would have been coaching a school team by now to survive if he had played only for Wales and not Manu.

For all those guys who think nation vs nation should be encouraged over club vs club,I have a simple question-

Ever thought how many people in India or pakistan or any other country pick up a bat or bowl to play for India /Pakistan and how many end up playing for the nation ?We all know how much money domestic 4 days cricket offers to the local players.Think about the players who never got to play for India but are playing IPL and are now financial secure.

If you want young kids to take up sports it should be atleast financially secure if not lucrative.

Example- EPL gives Decent to lavish livelyhood to 20 clubs(premiership)x 15(average english members in the squad of 30 plus)=300 English players.
Remember the English National Squad can have only 20 Players.

A certain Ryan Giiggs would have been coaching a school team by now to survive if he had played only for Wales and not Manu.

nice analysis...but see I speak from an audience perspective and so make it all subjective in the process...
lets take the fine example of the English football team...
on paper they have the best possible football team that can be assembled...but when it comes to performing their players face problems in teaming up..so they have great players but an alright international team...
now otoh take the example of germany...their players mostly hail from the same club...Bayern Munich...and their teamplay is very very fluid...on paper their team is equal if not less than the english team...but their game play and mutual understanding shows in their performances...

The monetory aspect is very solid and apparent...but there'd be many now who'd not care so much about an ODI career...take a fast bowler for example...he'd have limited potent shelf-life...there'd be more chances that he'd make money and waste away his prowess in the clubs he plays for than for the nation...

the traditional notion of international cricket is romantic enough to be preserved and improved...when you have enemies and united nations vowing to defeat each other...I still remember when Sehwag was booed in wankhede when he raised his bat for his 50 agaisnt MI...the question that came to my mind back then was...what was he playing for?money?
then good for him...where the hell do i find my entertainment when he gets paid and booed in his own country?
should i boo tendulkar once the ipl fever dwarfs international cricket?
this feelings would be very alien to me.

^^^

I don't think you are familiar with the sport of football. English team the best possible team that can be assembled??? German team hailing from the same club?? I request you to kindly look over the national squads again.

The only good international team which benefits from player familiarity is Spain, because 10 of the 11 starters in the WC final hailed from 2 clubs: RM and Barca.

Back
Top Bottom