What's new

Michael Holding During PAK VS WI match said right things about IPL

^^^

I don't think you are familiar with the sport of football.
I think you assume too-bloody-much and piss people off.
English team the best possible team that can be assembled???

World Cup 2010 23 Man Squad – England
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Copied from: FIFA World Cup 2010 Football: England Announce 23 Man Squad | The Global Herald FIFA World Cup 2010 Football: England Announce 23 Man Squad | The Global Herald

if you'd know even an iota of football...you'd know the names are worth their weight in gold.
German team hailing from the same club?? I request you to kindly look over the national squads again.
7 out of 11 in the last world cup from bayern munich....almost the entire 23 member present squad plays for bundesliga...except boateng khedira and ozil...
The only good international team which benefits from player familiarity is Spain, because 10 of the 11 starters in the WC final hailed from 2 clubs: RM and Barca.
benefitting because players play together is my point exactly.

nice analysis...but see I speak from an audience perspective and so make it all subjective in the process...
lets take the fine example of the English football team...
on paper they have the best possible football team that can be assembled...but when it comes to performing their players face problems in teaming up..so they have great players but an alright international team...
now otoh take the example of germany...their players mostly hail from the same club...Bayern Munich...and their teamplay is very very fluid...on paper their team is equal if not less than the english team...but their game play and mutual understanding shows in their performances...

The monetory aspect is very solid and apparent...but there'd be many now who'd not care so much about an ODI career...take a fast bowler for example...he'd have limited potent shelf-life...there'd be more chances that he'd make money and waste away his prowess in the clubs he plays for than for the nation...

the traditional notion of international cricket is romantic enough to be preserved and improved...when you have enemies and united nations vowing to defeat each other...I still remember when Sehwag was booed in wankhede when he raised his bat for his 50 agaisnt MI...the question that came to my mind back then was...what was he playing for?money?
then good for him...where the hell do i find my entertainment when he gets paid and booed in his own country?
should i boo tendulkar once the ipl fever dwarfs international cricket?
this feelings would be very alien to me.

Sir their is another Example in soccer,Spain.These guys always had the one of the best squad but always underachieved as a team while their squad(though primarily Barca and Real Madrid) was assembled from all over Europe.Brazil,Argentina, Holland have players in almost all the leagues.

The Point is that EPL in India is so much watched that the English players appear better than what they actually are.Bundesliga,la liga and Serie A are also very tough leagues and are well covered but not as glamourised as EPL.

Sir the essence of sports is 'keen contest' and Team loyalties.
Coming to cricket Sehwag being booed in Mumbai or Sachin Tendulkar's dissmissal by Morne morkel being celebrated in delhi only shows that the game
is larger than the individual however great they maybe.Thats a gud sign

Or else,how do you explain Europe as a team in Ryder cup and West Indies(Group of Nations) as team in World Cricket.

The Point is that EPL in India is so much watched that the English players appear better than what they actually are.Bundesliga,la liga and Serie A are also very tough leagues and are well covered but not as glamourised as EPL.
well...I have always thought that the EPL football matches are very fast-paced as compared to those of serie a la liga and bundesliga...I have often got bored to death watching some of their matches...EPL matches are more attacking in my opinion nom if you are a follower of a different league...
also the average ratings of the teams in the EPL is very high...than those in all other leagues...
I also love latin-american football...although it can be very violent at times...

Sir the essence of sports is 'keen contest' and Team loyalties.
see with time...loyalties will change and form...I would start enjoying the IPL when there'd be no good substitute for it over time...
what I love about today's cricekt is that when an indian batsmen plays a good innings when some one like sehwag rips aprt the opposition...I find pride in being from the same country as he is...however whn someone like afridi plays well...i do appreciate his talent but feel no connection to him whatsoever...
when these clubs and leagues play...there is an intermixing of nationalities...and allegiences.
I am right now trying to judge what would be a keener contest...the most keen contest would have my vote and following...

Coming to cricket Sehwag being booed in Mumbai or Sachin Tendulkar's dissmissal by Morne morkel being celebrated in delhi only shows that the game
is larger than the individual however great they maybe.Thats a gud sign
when india won the world cup...every indian felt that he had won the world cup...i remember sleeping that night with such calm that comes to someone who has been fatigues for a long time...
not just the world cup...in competitive tours like those of australia Sa and Pak...our team's triumph is the triumph of a billion people...
cricket has played the important role of being the single-largest uniter of people of this country...
one team run by a beer baron defeating a team run by a textile tycoon will not appeal as much...it's the idea...the game-play i admit would be spicy and entertaining.
Or else,how do you explain Europe as a team in Ryder cup and West Indies(Group of Nations) as team in World Cricket.
alright cricket as such needs more nations participating...the carribean nations are economic laggards...if we were to leave these separate nations of jamaica,T&T and all to develop their own cricket they'd chicken out and the expenditure from the ICC would be a lot more than it is right now...

Back
Top Bottom