What's new

Michael Holding During PAK VS WI match said right things about IPL

The only permanent thing is change. And the cricket world order has changed dramatically.

IPL is now the 2nd highest paying sporting league, if you consider the number of weeks the players put in. It's generating massive revenue and employment for many. It has relegated regular forms of cricket to the connoisseurs, just like classical music has it's niche audience. There will be resistance from the old guard, but IPL is here to stay. Indian cricket fans have their dose of entertainment every evening during the IPL season and the IPL T20 standard of cricket is world class. So, wishing away the IPL is just wishful thinking.

So the bottom line is that, as a cricketer or a cricket media person, either you are making money or you are losing out. And the people not in IPL (henceforth called the "losers") are crying out loud. The losers can now pretend to be loyal to a purer variety of cricket, or maybe loyal to their respective boards, but they are losing out on making big money in their short and uncertain careers. Tough luck for them for all they can do now is cry.

There is already massive pressure on the other boards to reserve a window for the IPL, and the ICC and the boards should have worked it out by now. The voices will not be against the "BCCI jugga shahi", but for the IPL window. Country vs IPL should not be a choice for the players to make, it's asking too much of them. They should be able to choose both.

But its defeating the spirit it was started with, when it shamed the ICL and was like "we will not drag any player out of their national team matches". Sooner or later there will be more and more voices speaking up against this jugga shahi by the BCCI.

what i really want is that there should be only Indian players in IPL and not others...i know that those who choose club before nation are bad..but that does not make IPL bad...it means those player will do anything for money...

But its defeating the spirit it was started with, when it shamed the ICL and was like "we will not drag any player out of their national team matches". Sooner or later there will be more and more voices speaking up against this jugga shahi by the BCCI.

i can see it's happening other way round. at the moment there is a two year moratorium period for retired players. there will be pressure from the franchise owners to lift that! just imagine what would happen once this moratorium is lifted? afterall there is billions of $s riding on these teams & i can only see players becoming free agents in near future.

IPL helps in promoting local Indian talent.........and this year we found paul valhauty...........other wise that guy had never able to make it central stage.

And about people complaining..........have you heard story of fox and sour grapes?????

ONE WORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FRUSTRATION !!!!!!

anyone not comenting is a puppet....wasim akram and rameez raja is also puppet..lol..if this guy Michael holding gets an offer of some coaching or some other staff, he will immediately have something different to say....

BTW please forward a mail to PCB..I heard they have also planed to start something like IPl, to damage the game of cricket further..lol

ur wrong rameez wasnt sayin anything because indian cricket board was gunna blame him 4 everything,

what i really want is that there should be only Indian players in IPL and not others...i know that those who choose club before nation are bad..but that does not make IPL bad...it means those player will do anything for money...

If there were Indian players only then you'd be faced with the same issues locally if if the national team decided to go on tour and IPL was also going on. I remember when IPL and ICL were both taking off, this is the deal IPL gave them to win ICC approval, that any cricket board would be allowed to pull its player from IPL if a national tournament is going on.

There may be voices against IPL and while they may have a point, the voices that matter i.e. the players are not the ones criticising it. Holding was one of the all time greats & I have found him to be very intelligent man when I have heard him but some battles cannot be won. Why do all the test playing countries want to host India more than the others? Simple - MONEY ! Forget about Indian players, forget even about players from England, Australia & South Africa. Lets just take players from West Indies. They have a short career & then what? A few get to be commentators but the majority will never earn the kind of money that they can earn in one edition of the IPL. As Sangakkara said, players must not be forced to make a choice between the country & the club. No need to be a genius to figure out what that choice will end up being for the majority of players. Sri Lanka pushed Malinga & what happened? Retired from Tests ! Malinga makes over a million dollars in a single season of the IPL; that kind of choice is pretty much of a no-brainer.

IPL cannot monopolize the entire globe because BCCI is not ICC and cannot control every cricket event. IPL is just an event that last 40+ days and there are 365 days in a year. Pakistan, West Indies, Ireland, Scotland, Zimbabwe, Canada, Hong Kong, UAE, Kenya are not part of the IPL.

IPL cannot be a replacement for International Events, it will also burn the players out and fatigue is one reason where many Indian players will miss out on the England and West Indies Tours.

People who say nations should play against nations only in cricket is silly if there were no domestic leagues you wouldnt be able to develop players for your national squad.

IPL cannot monopolize the entire globe because BCCI is not ICC and cannot control every cricket event. IPL is just an event that last 40+ days and there are 365 days in a year. Pakistan, West Indies, Ireland, Scotland, Zimbabwe, Canada, Hong Kong, UAE, Kenya are not part of the IPL.

IPL cannot be a replacement for International Events, it will also burn the players out and fatigue is one reason where many Indian players will miss out on the England and West Indies Tours.

West Indies is a major part of IPL,Chris Gayle,Jerome Taylor,Kieron Pollard etc are playing right now...others are missing due to WI vs Pak series,else they always play in heavy numbers.
England,South Africa,Australia,New Zealand,Sri Lankan players are a major major part of IPL.
Heck who cares of Pakistan(Whom we didn't include by our choice,or else they would have been in IPL),Zimbabwe,Hong Kong,UAE,Canada etc...
They don't have good players to offer.

seriously just like football....national teams are gonna die...once all the different leagues start coming up...
I hate the notion of people playing for capitalist clubs and managers rather than their own country...

I always hated IPL and will hate. It would have been approriate if tournament could last one month and limit of match being 5-7 by each team.

The ultimate sufferer would be the game of cricket. I'm a fan of test cricket and i can see where its heading :cry:

Back
Top Bottom