What's new

Mani-Talk: 'Concern' Over Gaza Conflict? PM Modi, Learn From Nehru

Is that all that Indian members here can say? Mani is a chutiy@ etc ? Play the ball, not the man. Respond to the submissions of the writer. Just insulting him and questioning his credibility gives him a better platform
Credibility? He never had any to begin with! He's got this inveterate habit of continuously shooting his mouth seeing that he's always inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity! He loves to hear himself talk.

He had to eat humble pie when he called Modi a 'chaiwala' who could sell tea at the AICC session. And then he had repeatedly declared in an interview that Modi will never...never....never....never become Prime Minister!!

That's so much egg on his face, he could make a giant omelet out of it and serve it hot to all his Congresswalahs! :P

P.S. Traveling with him from Chandigarh about a year ago was a bloody pain in the butt! Sitting in the front seat he was busy giving an interview to some Hindi channel over his mobile phone for three blessed hours without even a pee break. And what was his monologue all about? The Anti BJP tirades and Modi bashing!! From start to finish.

He needs to see a shrink, pronto!

Last edited:
A good perspective of why the shift in India's policy was written way back in 2005 during the UPA rule by Mustafa -al-Feki. I say again Feki....don't confuse with something else. It's worth reading.

An Indo-Arab blunder?
Over the years, the Arab world has let India down even though the Asian giant championed the Palestinian cause, writes Mustafa El-Feki*
When I compare how India used to view the Palestinian question, back when I was counsellor to the Egyptian Embassy in New Delhi 25 years ago, with how it does now, I cannot help but wonder how things change. I was posted in New Delhi in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when India was a major supporter of the Palestinian cause. The very idea of having diplomatic ties with Israel was offensive to most Indians.

I once monitored a meeting of late Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi with a group of Jewish Indians in Mumbai and then wrote an article about it for the Cairo-based periodical Al-Siyasa Al-Dawliya (Foreign Policy), speculating on the future of relations between India and Israel. In response, the Indian ambassador in Cairo filed an official protest with the Egyptian Foreign Ministry, expressing outrage that I brought up the possibility that India may one day move close to Israel. At present, relations between New Delhi and Israel are of strategic nature, with both countries in close touch, waging a common war against terror. Both have succeeded in damning the Palestinian resistance and the Kashmir insurgence as terrorist, not national liberation movements. India and Israel cooperate in many fields, including military and nuclear technology. So much we know for fact.

One question is in order, however. What made India change its mind and throw itself in the arms of a country that occupies Arab and Palestinian land, to the point where it has played host to Ariel Sharon? India and Israel have their own separate political agendas. India wishes to have access to US and Israeli technology, particularly in the development of weapons. Israel, for its part, wishes to have the political backing of a powerful nation. Besides, both countries have a common interest in monitoring the nuclear programmes of Iran and Pakistan. Let's now examine some of the reasons that made India change its mind.

First, we have made the error of viewing the Indian- Pakistani conflict from an Islamic perspective. We have tried to "Islamise" the ongoing conflict in south Asia, posing as protectors of Islam and custodians of the international community. And we have overlooked the regional role of India, with Arab leaders showing up in New Delhi much less frequently than before.

Secondly, when India applied for membership of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the response was extraordinary. A country with 120 million Muslim citizens applied to membership and what happened? Islamic countries, in typical naiveté, rejected the Indian application, imagining this would please Pakistan and teach India a lesson. The right thing to do, of course, would have been to co-opt this major country and give it OIC membership. This would have put the brakes on Indian rapprochement with Israel. An Arab-Indian rapprochement may have even alleviated, not increased, the pressure on Pakistan. Imparting a religious coating on a conflict between two neighbouring countries was a political misjudgement, and a sign of Arab miscalculation.

Thirdly, India was close to the former Soviet Union and, as a major country of the Non-Aligned Movement, critical of US policies. That was during the Cold War, but things have changed since then. India has forged close links with the US due to political as well as technological reasons. And its newly acquired superiority in ICT proves it knew what it was doing. India has also succeeded in replacing Pakistan as the US favourite country in the region. I wouldn't be surprised to see India assume the role of a policeman in the Indian Ocean and the outskirts of the Gulf, with US blessing and with the aim of encircling so-called Islamic violence. This would be in harmony with Israel's agenda, and it may pave the way to a scheme of joint control over the Greater Middle East.

Fourthly, Some Arab countries have pursued a balanced policy towards the conflict in south Asia. Under Gamal Abdel-Nasser, Egypt was so close to India that the latter had no motive to flirt with Israel. Back then, India was a staunch supporter of the Palestinian people, and I still remember that the Palestinian ambassador to New Delhi enjoyed the privilege of meeting the Indian prime minister at anytime he wished to do so. But as the Islamic phenomenon spread and some Arab policies acquired a religious tint, India grew visibly suspicious of the Arab and Islamic worlds. To make things worse, Arab diplomacy in India was lackadaisical over the past two decades.

Fifthly, the Indians are a practical and smart people, so are the Pakistanis. It is advisable for us to maintain balanced relations with both. Both countries are nuclear powers and are highly regarded across the Arab world. Having good ties with both countries makes sense at these turbulent times.

We have lost India so far for no good reason, I should say. We have failed to stay close to an industrially advanced state, one with nuclear and space capabilities. We have failed to do so although there is a clear ethnic resemblance between the Indian subcontinent, including Pakistan and Bangladesh, and the people in our Arab world. It is time we mend this error. It is time to bring Arab countries closer to both India and Pakistan, rather than take one side or keep our distance altogether. I believe the Arabs have only themselves to blame for India's change of heart on the Palestinian question.

In early 2003, I was in New Delhi with a parliamentary delegation. It was my first to India in over 20 years. I met the Indian national security adviser, who is a veteran politician, and he told me his country, despite its close links with Israel, is committed to legitimate Palestinian rights. Such attitude is encouraging, and it makes me think that the Arab League, whose current secretary-general was once an ambassador to India, should start a coordinated effort to improve Arab links with India. We need to bring back the balance to our policy and revive the old friendship, while maintaining our close bonds with Pakistan.

Some people have taken issue with what I mentioned about the need to integrate the Arab mindset into the current global mindset. They called my assertion an assault on local identity and a sabotage of the pan-Arab character. I still believe that this is a responsible way of addressing our problems, that this is the way forward in the context of comprehensive reform -- the reform that countries in this region seek, the reform that emanates from their own fabric and expresses their own resolve. We must distinguish between two things. One is comprehensive revision, which makes transformation a part of reform. The other is uncalculated compromises that lead to a general sense of capitulation of other people's wishes. Only the latter I am against. International isolation is impossible. Let me say this loud and clear. This is what history tells us, this is the spirit of the age, and this is how things are.

* The writer is chairman of parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee.

Al-Ahram Weekly | International | Commentary: An Indo-Arab blunder?

Many who have Seen Speech of Susma swaraj in Indian Parliament Today Would got there Answers About Stand of India on Gaza Issue.

Last edited:
Mani cannot get over the drubbing his party faced in the Polls. A classic case of tremendous insult when he said Modi would never become the PM of India. All I can see is he just cannot accept the fact that Modi has become the PM.

As for the article, I would like to ask him What does Palestine and what does Israel bring to the table for India? The asnwer should be enough to shut all those who have been wanting to pass a resolution against Israel in the house.

And the party from where this man comes from actual made the relationship with Israel grew stronger, So he is a total hypocrite if he now wants to completely sideline Israel and support Palestine. One cannot see anything but the secular bogey being played by the Congress party and the Left to please a particular community.

The BJP Govt has made a very balanced statement which is not at all offensive to either Israel or Palestine. I for one is in favor of maintaining neutrality when it comes to making statements but at the same time we should whatever we can to grow stronger the Indo-Israeli ties.

Because, Yasir arafat was supporting India On Kashmir issue.

In fact India was the first non-Arab country to oppose the division of palestine. Friendship is always mutual and should support each other...it cannot be one sided. And i believe it holds true for Pakistan too.

Is that all that Indian members here can say? Mani is a chutiy@ etc ? Play the ball, not the man. Respond to the submissions of the writer. Just insulting him and questioning his credibility gives him a better platform

Mani Shankar Aiyar is one of the worst specimen of human beings, not because he is a Congressman, not because he is anti-BJP or anti-Modi, he is just a foul-mouth snobbish scoundrel who deserve no respect and no attention whatsoever. You can't even imagine how much I hate this fellow.

In fact India was the first non-Arab country to oppose the division of palestine. Friendship is always mutual and should support each other...it cannot be one sided. And i believe it holds true for Pakistan too.

But when did the Palestinians harm India's interests ? I mean changing stance over Palestine because the OIC sided with Pakistan is tantamount to some country saying that they will cease support for the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka because India peeved them off ?

Friendship is always mutual and should support each other...it cannot be one sided. And i believe it holds true for Pakistan too.
But when did the Palestinians harm India's interests ? I mean changing stance over Palestine because the OIC sided with Pakistan is tantamount to some country saying that they will cease support for the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka because India peeved them off ?

There has been on change is stance....India has officially condemned the violence. The only thing is that the opposition parties in India wanted a resolution passed against Israel which wasn't done. When it comes to Tibet, these parties are mum but all these hue and cry for Palestine is just for vote banks. Even the Arab world is now divided on Palestine...so why should India take sides??

There has been on change is stance....India has officially condemned the violence. The only thing is that the opposition parties in India wanted a resolution passed against Israel which wasn't done. When it comes to Tibet, these parties are mum but all these hue and cry for Palestine is just for vote banks. Even the Arab world is now divided on Palestine...so why should India take sides??

India has always promoted the cause of the Palestinians and condemned excessive Israeli violence ? Tibet is simply not comparable to Palestine. I really don't believe that the Arab world is divided over Palestine. Perhaps over Hamas but certainly not over Palestine ?

Support Palestine and next year OIC will pass another anti-India resolution about Kashmir. :wacko:

(Mani Shankar Aiyar is a Congress MP in the Rajya Sabha)

The BJP government in its first foreign policy outing disgraced itself today in the Rajya Sabha debate on Palestine. It showed itself to be communal, biased, and careless of the country's vital interests.

Sushma Swaraj claimed that her foreign policy was not founded in religion, but the first speaker on her side, Anil Madhavan Dave, had already revealed the communal angle by invoking "namaz" and "jannat" in a debate on Palestine, adding that he had a Muslim friend who desisted from saying his namaz when Dave told him that the mosque which he was preparing to enter was a "vivadhit dhancha" (the old Babri Masjid terminology). What a comical definition of a "good Muslim"!

Worse was the assertion outside the House by the Parliamentary Affairs minister, Venkaiah Naidu, who declared to the media that for the Opposition this was "an issue of the minorities" (Economic Times, 16 July 2014). This was of a piece with Jaswant Singh's ridiculous assertion when he was Foreign Minister that India had held back from according full diplomatic recognition to Israel only because the Congress was "appeasing" the Muslims. Sushma's protestations notwithstanding, Dave was only echoing the views of his seniors and, more generally, the Sangh Parivar that controls the BJP like a puppet on a string.

It is because of this communal line that the BJP is so utterly biased in its treatment of Israel's current invasion of Palestine. They equate Israel's blistering bombing of the Gaza strip with the rocket attacks of Hamas. The Israeli blitz has already claimed nearly 500 innocent lives thus far, including women, children and the aged. Thousands more have been seriously injured, few with any hope of surviving as Gaza just does not have enough hospitals, medicines or doctors to attend to all of them. Thousands more have been rendered homeless. Hospitals have not been spared; nor have schools; not even old-age homes. Yet, the BJP blatantly equates the aggressor with the victim, forgetting that Israel has both the most sophisticated arsenal and the nuclear bomb, while Palestine does not have, and is not permitted to have, an army, an air force or a navy. Gaza's port is blockaded; its air strip closed down. It has no way out of the siege other than underground tunnels. To get at these, the Israelis are mercilessly killing and maiming the innocents who live over-ground. The BJP is blinded to all this by sheer bias and prejudice.

Leave alone poor Sushma, take Modi himself. His three-sentence statement on Israel-Palestine at the BRICS summit is a classic of obfuscation. He begins by expressing "concern" over the on-going "conflict". Concern? What about condemnation? Moreover, how can there be equal concern over the victim whose casualties run to thousands, and an aggressor who is behaving like a school bully because he knows there can be no equivalent retaliation from the Palestinians?

He then goes on to say, "We support a negotiated solution". What he fails to mention is that negotiations cannot be restarted until Israel stops its massacre of unarmed, innocent Palestinians. He also fails to recognize that it was not the Palestinians but the Israelis who broke off the negotiations last year just as they seemed about to succeed. Why? Because Hamas, which had been democratically elected by the people of Gaza, had decided to bury their differences with Al-Fatah and the two together were presenting a joint front to the Israelis. In a classic case of divide and rule, the Israelis objected to the two factions coming together and insisted that it is only when they split apart that Israel would return to the negotiating table. How can Modi talk of "negotiations" without recognizing who is responsible for sabotaging them?

Modi's final sentence was that if a negotiated solution were found, this would "inspire hope and confidence round the world". Of course, it would. But who is responsible for stalling negotiations? Should they not cease fire, accept the delegation the Palestinians send to the talks and thus "inspire hope and confidence". Certainly, Modi inspires no hope nor confidence. We have been nakedly revealed to the world as a country with no conviction in our foreign policy, no principles, no long-term vision, and with nothing to contribute to world peace.

One can only recall in growing despair, Jawaharlal Nehru's wise counsel to Parliament when it first discussed the Palestine issue on 4 December 1947, just after Palestine was partitioned. Referring to our independent and principled stand against the partitioning of Palestine, he said, "Inevitably that means...we have to plough a lonely furrow in the United Nations or in international conferences of this type." And went on to add: "Nonetheless, that is the only honourable and right position by which we shall ultimately gain national and international prestige."

Modi forgot that lesson at Fortaleza. He meekly went along with paragraph 38 of the BRICS Declaration which neither condemns Israel nor calls for a cease-fire. We are back at November 1947 when other powers tried to make us change our mind. They succeeded with several weaker powers but failed with us. Eventually, it was India that gained the international prestige that went with our founding and leading the Movement of Nonaligned Countries (NAM). Nehru's prophecy was fulfilled. We did gain the "national and international prestige" that is now being betrayed by Modi and his government. Alas, alas, alas!

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
Mani-Talk: 'Concern' Over Gaza Conflict? PM Modi, Learn From Nehru - NDTV
@Aeronaut @Oscar @Fulcrum15 @Aether @Slav Defence @nair
why u care dude? And whatelse u expect a country run by butchers themselves? They are called israel of South Asia for nothing!

Back
Top Bottom