What's new

Malaysian Air Force Team Likely To Visit India Soon To Assess Suitability Of LCA Tejas Fighter Jet

That depends on what news media you are accessing. Go for the major newspaper like the Star, The New Straits Times, Berita Harian etc. Major news papers have many sections that includes interesting and dull news. Google search cannot find out every news reported on traditional newspaper printed on real paper.

The last news on Malaysia to acquired LCA (LCA= Light Combat Aircraft but not = Indian Tejas), was published on the New Straits times in 2019 before Dr Mathadir's govern,emt collapsed. The new government has never mentioned any news on Malaysia's light combat aircraft since it tookover last year. Hell, they don't even have the money.

When mentioned LCA, Indians will think of it means Tejas, but for Malaysians it has a broad meaning that include all types of light weight combat aircraft from different countries.

Extract from the 2019 news report:-
"Affendi said RMAF was currently still sourcing out suitable platforms for its new LCA requirements and could not identify the exact model of the fighter jet.

“We can only determine the aircraft model once we do proper evaluations. We issued request-for-information to all contenders (manufacturers) in the LCA category earlier this year.”

It is understood that the LCA contenders included the Korea-made T-50 Golden Eagle, Russia’s YAK-130, Leonardo M-346FA, BAE Systems Hawk, India’s Tejas and the JF-17 Thunder from Pakistan.

Affendi said there was no specific time frame for RMAF to acquire the new LCA, as everything depended on the government’s budget allocation."

This is latest from KAI CEO ( 29 March ) that shows Malaysia and Thailand as likely candidate to buy FA50

1617589145985.png

You better do your research before releasing your brain farts here. Gripen is cheaper than Tejas for basic reason that most of its systems are either local or license produced by Saab. Tejas on the other hand sources its systems and subsystems from nearly 4-5 different countries. It is an established fact that Tejas is expensive that SU30MKI. At present it is twice as expensive than Russian sourced Su30 MKI and price Indian manufactured sukhois is almost twice than Russian. A single Tejas 1A costs 63 Million by Indian sources whereas an indian manufactured SU30 cost 60 million. At the same time a Gripen costs around 50 mil minus its servicing costs. Now go slap yourself like an Indiot.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tejas-price-comes-under-scrutiny/article24421608.ece

I have already done my homework properly. (Yawns) And no the tejas isn't expensive than that of sukhoi. and thats the dumbest thing to do i.e posting from a "the Hindu". And subsystems exist in every aircraft Except US/European and Russian built. I wonder what makes u think that the HAl doesn't have license to produce any of the systems.
I'm Calmed.

but when you say most LCAs, I believe you mean older versions of Tejas fighter, but Malaysia were offered MK1A which is not cheap compared to JF-17 Blk 3.

and Tejas are not easy to maintain as you have to contact several countries to get the required parts to keep Frankenstein fighter air worthy. lets not forget that the engine is American which mean any country buy Tejas and upset uncle Sam, they will get their Tejas's grounded for the lack of spare engines and parts from USA.

P.S:-Calm down.

If i use that logic FA-50,Gripen Tejas are powered by the same engine so must be having issues with spare parts? Weapons Integration?

Last edited:
I have already done my homework properly. (Yawns) And no the tejas isn't expensive than that of sukhoi. and thats the dumbest thing to do i.e posting from a "the Hindu". And subsystems exist in every aircraft Except US/European and Russian built. I wonder what makes u think that the HAl doesn't have license to produce any of the systems.

If i use that logic FA-50,Gripen Tejas are powered by the same engine so must be having issues with spare parts? Weapons Integration?

I f you used that logic you would off understood what I'm saying, FA-50 & Gripens belong to countries running in USA orbit and they are supported by the American government, India is not and might go under sanctions if it decide to buy Russian S-400, Im waiting to see Tejas's beling grounded because of that.

I'll make this easy for you to understand, India need USA permission to sell Tejas as long it uses American engine. Israel permission to sell it because of the Israeli radar and components.

I f you used that logic you would off understood what I'm saying, FA-50 & Gripens belong to countries running in USA orbit and they are supported by the American government, India is not and might go under sanctions if it decide to buy Russian S-400, Im waiting to see Tejas's beling grounded because of that.

I'll make this easy for you to understand, India need USA permission to sell Tejas as long it uses American engine. Israel permission to sell it because of the Israeli radar and components.

India needs permission for american engine agreed, but not Israeli.Besides, The Radar can be hack off for export variants with Uttam and is already being offered with Uttam AESA radar which is designed and built by India itself. Also the F/A-50 has many Israeli components Elta-2032 radar being one.

KAI is offering them T-50, alongside help and investment into Malaysia Space Program. There's no other party winning this.

T 50 is trainer and pretty useless as a combat plane. If Malays want a real combat jet, it will be Tejas. Joke jet then T 50.
Welcome!! :usflag::pakistan:

BUT! Your thread is in the wrong PDF section.

Wow! You're never this civil with me. When I do something like this you call me an @$$hole then ban me for one month.

In a major development, a team of Malaysian Air Force is expected to visit India within the coming two months to assess the suitability of the indigenously developed light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas fighter jet, reports Economic Times.

During the visit, the Malaysian team is likely to be given a full tour of the LCA's production facilities, test infrastructure, and a demonstration of the fighter jet's combat potential.

India is said to be offering the Mk1A version of the LCA with modern AESA radar, new avionics and the capability to integrate a variety of weaponry to the Malaysian Air Force. The potential export order from Malaysia is likely to have an initial size of 12 fighter jets, with the option for 24 more fighter jets in the future.

According to the ET report, the Indian fighter jet has emerged as the top contender for the Malaysian Air Force as it is cheaper than Swedish Gripen, and more modern and capable than Pakistan's Chinese origin JF-17 jet.

Besides the LCA Tejas, Gripen and the JF 17, the South Korean T 50 is also a contender for the contract.

Other than the aircraft, India is also offering the Malaysian Air force full support in training both ground and air personnel. It is also offering to build a full maintenance, repair and overhaul facility for the jets in Malaysia to ensure a higher availability rate.

It should be noted that the Indian Air Force (IAF) has already placed orders for 83 Tejas jets. The aircraft is priced at just over $42 million a unit.
Funny how Indian analysts always compare initial JF-17 Block-1 with the next in development Tejas variant that is yet to fly, there are several recent articles still saying JF-17 is inferior because it doesn't have in flight refueling. In reality JF-17 Block-3 is in production variant and Block-1s in process of overhauling and upgrades.

Tejas1A is a Tejas1 with improved avionics. Engine and performance same as Tejas1. Tejas1A initially to use EL/M-2052 radar which would be a problem for Malaysia because of Israeli origin.

One interesting aspect of Malaysia's fighter decision is the payment terms, they want to barter the new jets against palm oil imports, here India has a edge over Pakistan+China palm oil import volume but the deal is estimated $1Bn spread over years so should be still manageable.

Last edited:
Funny how Indian analysts always compare initial JF-17 Block-1 with the next in development Tejas variant that is yet to fly, there are several recent overviews still saying JF-17 is inferior because it doesn't have in flight refueling. In reality JF-17 Block-3 is in production variant and Block-1s in process of overhauling and upgrades.

Tejas1A is a Tejas1 with improved avionics. Engine and performance same as Tejas1. Tejas1A initially to use EL/M-2052 radar which would be a problem for Malaysia because of Israeli origin. One thing I see in favor for Tejas is India is a major importer of palm oil and could barter fighters against palm oil imports which is something already hoped from the Malaysian side.

This is not about the technical advantage of Jf 17 over HAL tejas.. it is all about imported parts of the aircraft.

It is known to everyone.

This is not about the technical advantage of Jf 17 over HAL tejas.. it is all about imported parts of the aircraft.

It is known to everyone.
That is also another misconception.
How is Tejas more indigenous than JF-17 when it uses a imported Radar and engine. Its a partnership project of which Pakistan now makes 58% of the JF-17 locally through technology transfer arrangements with suppliers and this includes the radar.

That is also another misconception.
How is Tejas more indigenous than JF-17 when it uses a imported Radar and engine. Its a partnership project of which Pakistan now makes 58% of the JF-17 locally through technology transfer arrangements with suppliers and this includes the radar.

making is not a called indigenous, Man. If come to making than Su 30 mki is more or less indigenous than Jf 17 because Indian also making the parts. Manufacturing is doing by India for many decades.

HAL Tejas is something designed, developed, tested and everything is done in-house. It has provided and opened a door for upcoming fighter aircrafts.

making is not a called indigenous, Man. If come to making than Su 30 mki is more or less indigenous than Jf 17 because Indian also making the parts. Manufacturing is doing by India for many decades.

HAL Tejas is something designed, developed, tested and everything is done in-house. It has provided and opened a door for upcoming fighter aircrafts.

Definition of indigenous

1a: produced, growing, living, or occurring natively or naturally in a particular region or environment

What you probably meant to say Tejas R&D done locally in India which is logical since its solely an Indian project, that would make the approach used different from JF-17 as it is developed in partnership with China. But if comparisons are to be made for indigenous manufacturing then its the percentage produced locally.

If Tejas was merely a technological demonstrator can boast it gave learning experience but that is not how to judge it. It will be a successful project if it achieves the goal of satisfying its prime customer and becomes in service with considerable numbers that it replaces legacy fighters it was intended to do. This will still take time.

Regarding SU-30 comparison, there is a difference between manufacturing and assembling kits.

What is assembly?
Assembly encompasses the steps of constructing a finished product from components or partially-compiled units. Assembly results in assemblies and/or sub-assemblies that are ready for sale and or implementation by a customer.

What is manufacturing?
Manufacturing encompasses the process of production from raw or semi-raw materials through to a finished product ready for sale. One of the steps in manufacturing can include assembly, and need to manufacturing results in components that are ready for sale and or implementation by a customer.

Discussion derailed. My original point was Indian analysts when making comparisons always compare the initial JF-17 Blk1 with yet to be made future Tejas variant but reality is JF-17 Blk3 is in production and Blk-1s getting overhauled and upgraded.

Last edited:
In a major development, a team of Malaysian Air Force is expected to visit India within the coming two months to assess the suitability of the indigenously developed light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas fighter jet, reports Economic Times.

During the visit, the Malaysian team is likely to be given a full tour of the LCA's production facilities, test infrastructure, and a demonstration of the fighter jet's combat potential.

India is said to be offering the Mk1A version of the LCA with modern AESA radar, new avionics and the capability to integrate a variety of weaponry to the Malaysian Air Force. The potential export order from Malaysia is likely to have an initial size of 12 fighter jets, with the option for 24 more fighter jets in the future.

According to the ET report, the Indian fighter jet has emerged as the top contender for the Malaysian Air Force as it is cheaper than Swedish Gripen, and more modern and capable than Pakistan's Chinese origin JF-17 jet.

Besides the LCA Tejas, Gripen and the JF 17, the South Korean T 50 is also a contender for the contract.

Other than the aircraft, India is also offering the Malaysian Air force full support in training both ground and air personnel. It is also offering to build a full maintenance, repair and overhaul facility for the jets in Malaysia to ensure a higher availability rate.

It should be noted that the Indian Air Force (IAF) has already placed orders for 83 Tejas jets. The aircraft is priced at just over $42 million a unit.
Will Malaysia get chatni with that samosa dude??

Back
Top Bottom