Maiden shipment of steel on new Indo-Bangladesh route flagged-off

WORLD+BIZ

TBS Report
17 February, 2022, 09:10 am
Last modified: 17 February, 2022, 09:16 am

Photo: Collected

Indian authorities on Tuesday flagged off the maiden voyage of steel cargo-laden barge from Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port in West Bengal's Haldia to Pandu Port in Guwahati through the Indo-Bangladesh Protocol Route (IBPR).

The maiden voyage – a consignment of 1,798 tonnes of finished steel products by Tata Steel Ltd in Jamshedpur, India – showcases the multi-modal movement of cargo along with harnessing of the power of river-sea combination, as per an official release issued on Wednesday.

The two vessels, named DB ABDUL KALAM and DB KALPANA CHAWLA, are carrying some 900 tonnes of steel each.

After unloading the consignment at Assam's Pandu Port, the barges will return with industrial coal cargo for Kolkata Dock System (KDS).

The barges will move along the neighbouring country's National Waterway 1 (River Ganga) onto IBPR and finally on National Waterway 2 (River Brahmaputra).

Minister of State for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Shantanu Thakur, and Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways Sarbananda Sonowal also attended the event.

Speaking at the occasion, Sonowal said, "Under PM Gati Shakti (India's national master plan for multi-modal connectivity) the government has envisaged an integrated approach towards communication that is efficient, economical and environment friendly.

"A synergy between inland waterways and ports is being worked out to serve as a multi-modal logistic hub for handling major domestic cargo."

good, will increase ties between india and Bangladesh

good, will increase ties between india and Bangladesh
No, this will knot and increase the relationship between Indian NE and central India. BD has no stake in this arrangement.

ইহাকেই বলা হয় খাল কেটে কুমির আনা। ভারতমাতা কি জায় হো।

Last edited:
Opening and cranking up the inland river routes between India and Bangladesh is a fantastic idea .
Besides being a green mode of transport and CHEAPER, it frees up the road/rail networks.
Use the nature given rivers.

Opening and cranking up the inland river routes between India and Bangladesh is a fantastic idea .
Besides being a green mode of transport and CHEAPER, it frees up the road/rail networks.
Use the nature given rivers.
All these are good only for India. Bd has no stake. Give us connectivity with Pakistan by railway links through India.

BD should also make their goods competitive enough for it to sell in indian market.

They are absolutely competitive. Prices are lower on our side for most everything.

Make informed posts - not off-the-cuff ones. Prices for the same cellphone on our side is often 20-40% less (Redmi 10, Samsung Z foldable).

Any competitive Bangladeshi export (such as flat glass products) automatically attracts para-tariff duties in India, which is an import-blocking activity there.

Indian customs people are on-the-take from Indian industry and mfrs. and block Bangladeshi exports to India at any flimsy pretext.

We should return the favor but we are not "chhota-log" like some Sanghi people. Narrow-minded Sanghi morons.

We have gone to WTO numerous times for redress.

Time to place NTB's and Para-tariffs on Indian imports to Bangladesh, and stop all Indian transit activity.

This Sarbananda Sonowal idiot talks about transit through Bangladesh then just a few years ago tried to support driving away Indian Muslims from Assam saying they were "Bangladeshis".

Itar Hypocrite of the first order.

He wanted to "seal" the border with Bangladesh saying "Bangladeshis" are infiltrating Assam, insinuating that Assamese Muslims are all "infiltrators". At partition, almost 1/2 of all Assamese were Muslims, especially in the Karimganj area. Assam's population post-partition included 35 lakh Hindus, 34 lakh Muslims, 7 lakh Scheduled Castes, and 26 lakh tribes.

Last edited:
They are absolutely competitive. Prices are lower on our side for most everything.

Make informed posts - not off-the-cuff ones.

Your customs people are on-the-take from Indian industry and mfrs. and block Bangladeshi exports to India at any flimsy pretext.

We should return the favor but we are not "chhotey-log" like some Sanghi people. Narrow-minded Sanghi morons.

We have gone to WTO numerous times for redress.

Time to place NTB's and Para-tariffs on Indian imports to Bangladesh, and stop all Indian transit activity.

This Sarbananda Sonowal idiot talks about transit through Bangladesh then just a few years ago tried to support driving away Indian Muslims from Assam saying they were "Bangladeshis".

He wanted to "seal" the border with Bangladesh saying "Bangladeshis" are infiltrating Assam, insinuating that Assamese Muslims are all "infiltrators". At partition, almost 1/3rd of all Assamese were muslims, especially Karimganj area.

Itar Hypocrite of the first order.

In many ways its unfortunate for Bangladesh and other SA countries that India as country has not matured yet.

I believe Bangladsh simply tries to becomes some kina Switzerland of SA and SEA. Becoming a connectivity hub.

Last edited:
In many ways its unfortunate for Bangladesh and other SA countries that India as country has not matured yet.

I believe Bangladsh simply tries to becomes some kina Switzerlamd of SA and SEA. Becoming a connectivity hub.

Having shortsighted morons as India's current leaders, is a curse for Bangladesh. They have seven times our population but act like immature protectionist two year olds, unable to play in the same sandbox...mine! mine! mine!

Having shortsighted morons as India's current leaders, is a curse for Bangladesh. They have seven times our population but act like immature protectionist two year olds, unable to play in the same sandbox...mine! mine! mine!

Its sad really because they are a big country with huge population. If managed to changed their mindset and learn to give and take, i beileve their society and economy would be much healthier.

Of course not all indians are like that. But thats the overall impression i have about India as a state. Maybe its just their bureucrats, business class and politicians who are like that, probably the average indian is different from them.

Last edited:
Its sad really because they are a big country with huge population. If managed to changed their mindset and learn to give and take, i beileve their society and economy would be much healthier.

Of course not all indians are like that. But thats the overall impression i have about India as a state. Maybe its just their bureucrats, business class and politicians who are like that, probably the average indian is different from them.

My experience is that selfish and narrow-minded behavior pervades the mentality of a large swath of the Hindu Indian population in most areas of the cow-belt, where their level of education low and backdated anti-Muslim prejudices super high. How do you think Hindu extremists can get elected? These people are clueless.

Bengalis (especially educated Bengalis) are an exception of course as are some areas in the North of the country (Indian Punjab) and some in the South where education has removed old prejudices. But yes, cow belt unfortunately is a lost cause, i.e. Bhojpuri culture.

I will let an Indian brother explain it of course - @jamahir bhai, am I too far off the mark?

My experience is that selfish and narrow-minded behavior pervades the mentality of a large swath of the Hindu Indian population in most areas of the cow-belt, where their level of education low and backdated anti-Muslim prejudices super high. How do you think Hindu extremists can get elected? These people are clueless.

Bengalis (especially educated Bengalis) are an exception of course as are some areas in the North of the country (Indian Punjab) and some in the South where education has removed old prejudices. But yes, cow belt unfortunately is a lost cause, i.e. Bhojpuri culture.

I will let an Indian brother explain it of course - @jamahir bhai, am I too far off the mark?

South indians are definately different from North indians. Thats for sure. In many ways they are like two separate nations.

Is BAL charging the indians for this or does the gravy train roll on?

They are the poorest part of not only South Asia, but probably all of Asia. When life is miserable, hopeless and depressive,…deflection and projection of this self directed hatred onto others, act as a relief from the agony of self hatred. Thats why you often find bigotry, racism and hatred in almost all utterly poor, backward and uneducated societies of the world.

Of course there are other factors too..

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom