What's new

Why Bangladesh’s Matarbari port is a game changer for India

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The Matarbari deep sea port, which is currently under construction in Bangladesh, will be a game changer for the region as it would open up connectivity with India’s northeast, especially Tripura, along with landlocked Nepal and Bhutan. For Japan, India’s northeast has been in focus for some time. Japan has shown an urgency build an integrated and scaled up supply chain in the region as it plans to boost its presence and increase investments.

At present, only about 350 Japanese companies operate in Bangladesh but once the region is integrated, trade and economy can zoom.

The port located at Cox’s Bazar, is primarily being developed by Japan International Cooperation Agency under the Bay of Bengal Industrial Growth Hubs.

“Japan wants better connectivity between India’s northeast and Bangladesh to leverage and build on each other’s strengths,” Takashi Suzuki, Chief Director General (South Asia), Japan External Trade Organisation (JETRO) told India Narrative earlier.

During his trip to India, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida too highlighted the importance of strengthening connectivity in the Northeast region, rich in resources but is relatively untapped, for developing robust global supply chains.

National Maritime Foundation (NMF) in a study noted that connectivity will open avenues for collaborative endeavours among nations while encouraging partnerships across multiple sectors including infrastructure, tourism, cultural integration, and of course, logistics, and trade. “The establishment of a seamless regional trade network lays the foundation for shared prosperity and sustainable development, ultimately benefiting all participating nations,” it said.

Once the deep sea port becomes operational, a large number of items that are currently being traded through Haldia port could be routed through Matarbari, thus easing the load on one port. Importantly, Matarbari will be able to handle larger cargos as well.

The project also allows India to balance China which is aggressively enhancing its influence through the multi trillion Belt and Road Initiative. “Matarbari port is strategic. It will boost connectivity but notably it gives both India and Japan a big opportunity to balance China’s growing influence,” an analyst said.

According to Maritime Gateway, Japan’s engagement in Bangladesh for connectivity development goes hand-in-hand with India’s endeavour which is undertaking upgradation of Mongla Port, road and power transmission networks, railway lines, inland waterways, among others, in the neighbouring country.

Last year, trans-shipment of cargo movements began between Kolkata to the northeast through Bangladesh’s Mongla port marking a new era in connectivity for New Delhi and Dhaka.

Benefits to Nepal and Bhutan

Nepal and Bhutan, the two landlocked countries in the region, are dependent on India and Bangladesh for port access. Therefore, the Matarbari port will not only bring significant economic advantages to Bangladesh “but also holds significant potential for neighbouring landlocked countries such as Nepal and Bhutan,” NMF said.

These countries would experience substantial benefits through the reduction of regional transshipment costs for their goods and Bangladesh hopes to be able to do just that, it said.

South Asian countries are among the least connected and integrated in the world today.

“The eastern sub-region is poised to become an economic growth pole for South Asia. An important component of this development potential is for countries to invest in connectivity – rail, inland waterways, and roads,” Junaid Ahmad, Vice President of Operations, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency of the World Bank who earlier served as country director for India had noted.

India did not pay one cent for the construction of this project and can derive no benefit out of this.

Walaiqum Tafaat and maafi kijiye.

Last edited:
Is there anything now that's not a game changer? Dogshit Indian media...Anything to do with Lungis is the last thing thats a game changer. I think this just about sums it up

Game changer cow
100393616.jpg

Last edited:
India did not pay one cent for the construction of this project and can derive no benefit out of this.

Walaiqum Tafaat and maafi karo.
How long you will remain an implacable idiot knowing nothing about economics. You are just another enemy of BD who wants a multibillion dollar Port closed because its potentiality not achievable without a bigger market in the region.

Idiot, do not you see how the Singapore Port thrived serving various destinations for shipment of goods?

Idiot, know that even Burmese and Chinese markets will bring in cash. Idiot like you think a Port is for taking pictures to show off to other nationalities.

A port is not a glass of soft drinks with colors that you are fond of sending to claim BD people are luxurious.

A port needs revenue to sustain its operation. Indian NE, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and China should become good source of revenue. But BD has to serve them.

Bloody naked idiot, always trying to backstab BD. Why the Hell do you have to join a Discussion Forum when your upper chamber is full of cow dung?

Why do you play monkey in every thread?

Last edited:

Walaiqum Tafaat and maafi karo.

:lol:

How long you will remain an implacable idiot knowing nothing about economics. You are just another enemy of BD who wants a multibillion dollar closed because its potentiality cannot be achieved without a bigger market in the region.

Idiot, know that even Burmese and Chinese markets bring in cash collection. Idiot like you think a Port is for taking pictures to show off to others.

A port needs revenue to sustain its operation. Indian NE, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and China should become good source of revenue.

Bloody naked idiot, always trying to backstab BD. Why the Hell do you have to join a Discussion Forum when your upper chamber is full of cow dung?

Blue Sky, is that you?

Walaiqum Tafaat and maafi kijiye.
Strategically Bangladesh should not allow India's North-East to grow unless India fulfils our demand. Our strategic disadvantage is the common rivers with India and India's strategic disadvantage is their North-East. Let's make a deal. India gives us a permanent solution to water sharing and Bangladesh gives India transhipment (not transit) facility and permission for using the Matarbari deep sea port. It's a win-win situation.

Strategically Bangladesh should not allow India's North-East to grow unless India fulfils our demand. Our strategic disadvantage is the common rivers with India and India's strategic disadvantage is their North-East. Let's make a deal. India gives us a permanent solution to water sharing and Bangladesh gives India transhipment (not transit) facility and permission for using the Matarbari deep sea port. It's a win-win situation.
What water problem you are talking about here? BD receives ample water in Summer. Go, check the data. And BD allows all this water to fall into the BoB.

Here, idiots come and cry for water. Why do not you ask the GoB to preserve water instead of sending it to the BoB?

Ask your upper chamber to seek how water can be preserved instead of quarreling Muslim style? Always doing nothing, but complaining!!!

It wont be that easy. Mizoram is very hilly and Tripura while not that hilly can more easily get its goods via Chattogram. Unless and until we develop our road network on our side, it won't benefit us much!!

What water problem you are talking about here? BD receives ample water in Summer. Go, check the data. And BD allows all this water to fall into the BoB.

Here, idiots come and cry for water. Why do not you ask the GoB to preserve water instead of sending it to the BoB?

Ask your upper chamber to seek how water can be preserved instead of quarreling Muslim style? Always doing nothing, but complaining!!!
I am not talking about flood water. I am talking about water in the lean period. Bangladesh never gets enough water from India in the dry season. Why do we have to preserve water? If India does not disrupt natural flow of the rivers nobody needs to preserve water.

I am not talking about flood water. I am talking about water in the lean period. Bangladesh never gets enough water from India in the dry season. Why do we have to preserve water? If India does not disrupt natural flow of the rivers nobody needs to preserve water.

I highlighted this very fact in the Farakka thread.

Excellent observation! I feel that the Northeast of India only has value to Bangladesh as a supplier of mineral raw materials like clinker (to make cement), and construction raw materials like lumber (to process into furniture and other value-added use).

This is a very profitable pursuit for states in the Indian Northeast. In return they can consume our manufactured convenience food products as well as manufactured white goods (appliances, plastics, Fast Moving consumer goods and apparel like winter outerwear).

Helping the Northeast export and import products from the rest of India does not help us in Bangladesh.

In fact it doesn't help the Indian Northeast either - shipping will be too high for bringing in main-land Indian products to these areas, especially after we charge transshipment fees.

:lol:

Blue Sky, is that you?
I am not. But, I would like people to understand that the PDF BD members should try to understand what is good for the country. Matarbari is good if it serves many countries like Singapore does.

Some people are insidious enemy of the country. Will anyone in Singapore say ‘don’t serve Indonesia because it is a Muslim country? But, here the lowly intelligent @Bilal9 says this kind of stuff. It is incessant like a woman quarreling.

I promise if that @Bilal9 spreads quarrel in this forum I will be here to contest his bad mouthing. Every issue between two countries is solved case by case.

It is not like give us Tista water or we will not serve you in Matarbari.

water is a precious resource. you save it in the rainy season

I am not. But, I would like people to understand that the PDF BD members should try to understand what is good for the country. Matarbari is good if it serves many countries like Singapore does.

Some people are insidious enemy of the country. Will anyone in Singapore say ‘don’t serve Indonesia because it is a Muslim country? But, here the lowly intelligent @Bilal9 says this kind of stuff. It is incessant like a woman quarreling.

I promise if that @Bilal9 spreads quarrel in this forum I will be here to contest his bad mouthing. Every issue between two countries is solved case by case.

It is not like give us Tista water or we will not serve you in Matarbari.

I agree. We should look at national interest and look at every proposition on a case by case basis.

water is a precious resource. you save it in the rainy season
Look, this @saif is a small cat Maulana born without a brain. He is not here to learn from others. He is here to insult others who say logic to him.

This guy finds no difference between a 1Hp water pump for housing and a 20 HP irrigation pump. He thinks a 1Hp water pump can irrigate a huge area. Read his recent posts.

When you tell him preserving water in the rivers in the rainy season, he is probably seeking some guidance from a few old books written 1500 years ago.

When he does not find it, he would think you are bluffing him. A maulana is just like this. @Bilal9 is another such maulana.

Back
Top Bottom