What's new

Jordan buys 60 German SPAAG surplus

BLACKEAGLE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Dutch Cheetah air defence guns sold to Jordan

The Netherlands and Jordan have struck a €21 million deal that will see 60 surplus Cheetah air defence systems being transferred to the Jordanian armed forces.

The agreement also includes the delivery of Cheetah spare parts, some 350,000 rounds of surplus ammunition and technical documentation. In addition, five Leopard 1 armoured recovery vehicles will be handed over to Jordan together with the hulls of 12 non-refurbished PRTL air defence systems and two Leopard 1 main battle tanks (MBT), which will be used for spare parts.

Eleven Thales Nederland Flycatcher Mk1 mobile radar fire control systems and 22 40mm Bofors L/70 guns are also included in the deal.

The Dutch Ministry of Defence will provide assistance with training and deliveries will commence in 2014.

The Cheetah is the Dutch variant of the German Gepard twin 35mm self-propelled anti-aircraft gun (SPAAG) and is based on a slightly-modified Leopard 1 tank chassis.

Produced by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW), the mobile air defence system is equipped with independent search and tracking radars, a search radar (S-band for the German vehicle and X-band for the Netherlands vehicle) installed at the rear of the turret, and a tracking radar (Ku band for the German vehicle and X/Ka band for the Netherlands) on the front of the turret.

The Dutch MoD acquired five pre-production and 95 production PRTLs, the last of which was delivered in 1979. In 1995 it was decided to refurbish 60 PRTLs, the first of which was redelivered in 1998. The upgrade programme was a bilateral effort with the German army concurrently refurbishing 147 of their Gepards.

The upgraded air defence gun was known as Cheetah in Dutch military service and its service life was planned to continue until 2015. However, due to a realignment of Dutch ground based air defence forces, the Cheetahs were withdrawn from service in 2007 and stored under the auspices of the Dutch Defence Material Organisation.

Germany phased out its last Gepards in 2010. Romania received 43 former German army Gepards in 2004 and Chile bought 30 in 2008. The latter deal was later cancelled due to high overhaul costs. In late 2012, another 36 upgraded Gepards were sold to Brazil.

http://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/dutch-cheetah-air-defence-guns-sold-jordan/

http://nos.nl/artikel/473315-jordanie-koopt-overtollige-tanks.html
18408d1243290477-flakpanzer-gepard-kas-gepard-shooting-2-low.jpg

romanian_gepard_tanks.jpg

:yahoo:

what a waste...it could have been spent on betterment of the people....

Sweet, Perhaps Jordan could opt for Turkish SPAAG to in the future :)

But all of those are for only 21 million Euro :cheesy:, while yours would be much more pricey. I think we have enough numbers of SPAAGS and short range missiles systems, we should start working on getting medium and long range ones..

what happened to Jordan-Russia pantsir S1

No official conformation yet although there are news that we got them, but I only tend to believe in the confirmed ones because I don't want to get disappointed if proved otherwise :cry:, there were news as well that we got 4 additional Patriot-Pac 2 from Germany, I will ignore it until it's confirmed.

@BLACKEAGLE

That looks very much like Tunguska ?

Are you sure about the pictures ?

tunguska4.jpg

tunguska1.jpg

135019985192.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tunguska or Gepard can't compete with new generation SPAAG systems regarding precision/kill rate.

German C-RAM tested on Istanbul

Rheinmetall_2009_NBS_C-RAM_firing.jpg

Turkish Korkut

dscf0168l.jpg

@cabatli_53

It's better no doubt, but it must be pricey which we can't afford. I think getting 60 Flakpanzer Gepard systems and 22 40mm Bofors L/70 guns for 21 million Euros is a great deal. I think buying 60 Pantsir-S1 would cost 600-700$ million, although some sources say we got undisclosed numbers of it.

How much does that system cost BTW?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am amazed Jordan faces threats from which countries? :O :P

Jordanian King has a very peaceful stance. Good relations with pretty much everyone who wants to be peaceful.

That means no $stupid war with Israel.

However Jordan like Pakistan lives in dangerous neighborhood. Even though it is one of the smaller country (industry or manpower) but it should keep its army equipment uptodate.

Weapons listed in this thread seems like a very good deal.

peace

Back
Top Bottom