What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

Chinese copy

As already stated, the aircraft IS a C-17 of the UAE air force and not a Chinese Y-20 (which isn't too hard to distinguish from a C-17).

The one in the OP is a Globemaster. Check :
lgvtp5yaxx9gl49isex3.jpg

QGJg4Sg.jpg
The C-17 is bigger with a more pronounced upsweep of
its rear end, a flatter wing to body blend / junction and
much bigger engine nacelles.

I don't know never seen this prototype before. The Air intakes are different from all JF-17 and nose cone seems bigger.

These are not DSI intakes so it is safe to assume its one of the previous models.

That's the Chengdu Super-7 A.K.A. FC-1 proto.
fc1-i.jpg

It was known as Sabre 2 until 1999 after Pakistan
re-oriented into the JF collaboration circa 1995.

Here's an old image at the time Grumman consulted
on it that helps understand the process and how the
intakes went from single front to Phantom-like ( F-4 )
and later to DSI under JF-17 development :

f7-to-j7-to-jf-17.png

Great day all, Tay.

Last edited:
Usually such shipments are properly packaged against humidity and other factors thi s is open fuselage wondering if this is just a model ???
Unlikely IMO.

A. I find it much easier to tie this with the UAE C-17. I find it much more plausible that this is a JF-17B fuselage being shipped to PAC - Occam's razor.

B. If we take another step and consider the possibility that this could be a JF-17B fuselage-based prototype for JF-17 Block III, then it also makes a bit of sense. Using concurrent engineering practices, a fuselage could be constructed while plumbing is redesigned for subsystems. Once the plumbing is redesigned, it could quickly be put together. This is less plausible than option A, but within the realm of possibility. However, why would PAC put together Block-III and test it? The process has always happened at CAC and we know that there were at least 3 previous iterations (Prototype 1-3 non-DSI FC-1 picture shared by @BHarwana , Prototype 4-6 JF-17 Block-I, JF-17B), if not 4 (I dunno about testing for JF-17 Block-II which may not have happened since aerodynamics did not change, but...). In any case balance of probabilities does not favor scenario B, though it is still possible. One lone indication that seems to support this scenario is that if we follow the line of spine's join with body, it seems to extend under the left wrapping and it is possible to speculate that the second / rear seat seems to be blended with the body. But this could just be an illusion.

C. If we consider that this might be a model, then there are so many suppositions that I can not consider it probable at all. I do not know what good would a model do, if it is being shipped from Chengdu all the way to Pakistan - and for what?

In any case I prefer to see much more solid evidence. Its not as though analyzing this one picture would mean much at this point. For all we know, this could be a deliberate leak to confound fanboys and sundry other observers.

Unlikely IMO.

A. I find it much easier to tie this with the UAE C-17. I find it much more plausible that this is a JF-17B fuselage being shipped to PAC - Occam's razor.

B. If we take another step and consider the possibility that this could be a JF-17B fuselage-based prototype for JF-17 Block III, then it also makes a bit of sense. Using concurrent engineering practices, a fuselage could be constructed while plumbing is redesigned for subsystems. Once the plumbing is redesigned, it could quickly be put together. This is less plausible than option A, but within the realm of possibility. However, why would PAC put together Block-III and test it? The process has always happened at CAC and we know that there were at least 3 previous iterations (Prototype 1-3 non-DSI FC-1 picture shared by @BHarwana , Prototype 4-6 JF-17 Block-I, JF-17B), if not 4 (I dunno about testing for JF-17 Block-II which may not have happened since aerodynamics did not change, but...). In any case balance of probabilities does not favor scenario B, though it is still possible. One lone indication that seems to support this scenario is that if we follow the line of spine's join with body, it seems to extend under the left wrapping and it is possible to speculate that the second / rear seat seems to be blended with the body. But this could just be an illusion.

C. If we consider that this might be a model, then there are so many suppositions that I can not consider it probable at all. I do not know what good would a model do, if it is being shipped from Chengdu all the way to Pakistan - and for what?

In any case I prefer to see much more solid evidence. Its not as though analyzing this one picture would mean much at this point. For all we know, this could be a deliberate leak to confound fanboys and sundry other observers.

A very rational analysis. I agree that by the looks of it and the way the canopy's green covering and white fabric is placed extending considerably beyond the air intakes, indicate that it is indeed a JF17-B fuselage.

PAF is bound to be the first in line recipiant of JF-17B besides the CAC testing unit. The news tailed with this picture is from a reliable source. The rest is mere speculation at best.

Yes SabzS, it is a C-17 but it can be on a Chinese tarmac
at the same time as the JF-17B for a different reason.

The UAE might be loading UAVs for all we know! It could
also be transporting the Double Thunder but I don't infer
that from a coincidence such as a temporary co-location.

On the picture I gave, you see a C-17 and a Y-20 and yet
China doesn't have Globemasters and vice versa.

It's cute but it means nothing is what I meant. 8-)

Have a great day mate, Tay.

Hi can this be a b version but for Nigerian specific for rest of the assembly in PAC
As I’m sure if we are selling directly to Nigerians then B version must also be going through
PAC umbrella
Any input from more learned members will be appreciated
Thank you

Hi can this be a b version but for Nigerian specific for rest of the assembly in PAC
As I’m sure if we are selling directly to Nigerians then B version must also be going through
PAC umbrella
Any input from more learned members will be appreciated
Thank you
They ordered Block II only, to my understanding. Their order does not even make a squadron up so I doubt they would go for 2 different variants in such a small order and the paint job looks something like the ones PAF uses on her JF-17's.

My guess is that it is indeed JF17B since Block III is at least a year away(or more) for even the first prototype...as for Block II JF17s, PAC manufactures most of it including the fuselage(as per this picture of PAC on Quwa)
PAC-Kamra-01.png

So I don't see why Pak would have a Block II flown in from China. Therefore ruling out Block II and III only leaves the option of JF17B, which coincidentally had been going under testing not too long ago. So maybe those tests were completed and this unit was shipped to be shown off in Pak Day Parade.

Another observation; The front cockpit seems to have overall more visibility. Notice the cockpit well is less metal and more plexiglass as compared to JFT and the twin seater version!!

Another observation; The front cockpit seems to have overall more visibility. Notice the cockpit well is less metal and more plexiglass as compared to JFT and the twin seater version!!
.... if only the wrappings were not there and we could actually see what you are hinting at.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom