What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

17352363_1431235326917653_4219621677259557884_n.jpg

Among the info, interestingly AVIC is building first AESA radar in the world with Air cooling. However, very informative AFM publication. Bigger nose means, bit of changes for future AESA so can we expect the same for Block-III as well.

Among the info, interestingly AVIC is building first AESA radar in the world with Air cooling. However, very informative AFM publication. Bigger nose means, bit of changes for future AESA so can we expect the same for Block-III as well.
IMO the most interesting part is the room to shift the fuel space lost from the second seat. If the second isn't there, could those new internal fuel spaces be retained? That would mean a higher net internal fuel volume in Block-III. I wonder if there's a correlation between that gained room and the three-axis FBW? It's a long-shot hope, but a new engine (with the same weight but higher thrust) would be nice too (along with composite materials).

IMO the most interesting part is the room to shift the fuel space lost from the second seat. If the second isn't there, could those new internal fuel spaces be retained? That would mean a higher net internal fuel volume in Block-III. I wonder if there's a correlation between that gained room and the three-axis FBW? It's a long-shot hope, but a new engine (with the same weight but higher thrust) would be nice too (along with composite materials).

Agreed.
IMO, block-III may have more fuel capacity if there is bit of change like raised spine and extra fuel cell while looking at a single seat...... It will be interesting .... The correlation may exist as FBW provides more room as compare to previous installation? New Engine could be RD-93MA or WS-13E but RD seems probability based upon previous discussions and satisfaction per engine against new WS-13E ... Yeah we hope something new but we know nothing yet in this regard. The irony is, we cannot pray that the days may pass quickly to see what's next... Just saying.

RD 93 MA, more fuel if possible, AESA, IRST, 1 more hard point for pods is what we are realistically hoping for and hopefully, a HMD down the line

honestly these are important for any significant update

It is interesting to see JF-17B and note the differences. The new tail makes me wonder if this change would flow through into the Block-3 design. However, it seems that the taller tail is necessitated by the big spine and its impact on the rudder control surface area.

By my very rough calculation, if this design change is carried to Block-3 then elimination of the WSO / Trainer seat results in addition of about around (+5% / -15%) 1500 liters (~53 cu ft), but the rearward visibility of the pilot would certainly suffer. Carrying the same thought forward, if indeed this be the design of Block-3, there would scarcely be any need to add CFTs. Also this could free up 2 inner-wing hard points.

Use of air-cooling solution for AESA points to less energy needed to be drawn from the engine, and that is also very welcome. I do wonder, however, if it would be possible to adjust IRST, which also needs cooling of the sensors used to detect heat signature.

I wonder how we can expect a simple RD-93 to manage, since the power requirements obviously increase going from JF-17 to JF-17B.

All of the above is pure speculation on my part.

Back
Top Bottom