What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant that at first sight you would think that the delta is horrible when looking at displays but a delta is superb at high altitudes, high speed and wingloading. Looking at displays doesn't give you the clues.

Personally I think if this bird gets 4 BVR and 2 wvr it can do the job just fine. All that writing about 6g allowed or decades old design. If you can put a decent radar and good BVR/WVR then there is not much to worry about. But it will not get exported. I will not have much room to improve and it will not go into dogfights. So, as a point defence it will be a good asset.

The questions is with so many MKI, MRCA and more, whether there is room for a point defence fighter.

there is always a room, when it comes to number. indians would like to have it in large numbers like mig-21

I meant that at first sight you would think that the delta is horrible when looking at displays but a delta is superb at high altitudes, high speed and wingloading. Looking at displays doesn't give you the clues.

Personally I think if this bird gets 4 BVR and 2 wvr it can do the job just fine. All that writing about 6g allowed or decades old design. If you can put a decent radar and good BVR/WVR then there is not much to worry about. But it will not get exported. I will not have much room to improve and it will not go into dogfights. So, as a point defence it will be a good asset.

The questions is with so many MKI, MRCA and more, whether there is room for a point defence fighter.

That is the major question, IAF wanted a light weight fighter, but they changed their strategy in 1990s after evaluating gulf air war(even PLAAF too changed in the same way, there will be more J-10s than any point defense fighter for coming years). So the concept LCA is irrelevant and IAF has the budget now for going for sanctioned squadron strength with MRCA+air superiority fighters. IF you evaluate IAF procurement plan in the next decade, you can see that. Now IAF wants a fighter(LCA) in the MRCA class.

That is the major question, IAF wanted a light weight fighter, but they changed their strategy in 1990s after evaluating gulf air war(even PLAAF too changed in the same way, there will be more J-10s than any point defense fighter for coming years). So the concept LCA is irrelevant and IAF has the budget now for going for sanctioned squadron strength with MRCA+air superiority fighters. IF you evaluate IAF procurement plan in the next decade, you can see that. Now IAF wants a fighter(LCA) in the MRCA class.
have to lend countenance to u, indian has money then why no buy honey. but plz discuss it in lca.

Interesting news from Munir

According to latest info PAF is going to visit turkey with k8, f16 and jf17. I am looking forward to june! Certainly if they are doing the jf17 display...

Interesting news from Munir

According to latest info PAF is going to visit turkey with k8, f16 and jf17. I am looking forward to june! Certainly if they are doing the jf17 display...

for what?

Joint exercise?
or showing them JFT for possible sale?

for what?

Joint exercise?
if you read my post again you will find your answer yourself. also the news is pretty much classified as of now. i will disclose it on proper time.till then enjoy this news

for what?

Joint exercise?
Goodwill visit and Anatolian Eagle war games.This year Turkish Air Forces celebrating 100th anniversary of its foundation.

PAFFalcons-November11-large.jpg

THE QUAID'S DREAM: The PAF has transformed into a mighty force and is Second to None!

The RD-93 engine for the FC-1 has very interesting implications for the Indo-Russia relationship. Was it a diplomatic victory for China and Pakistan or quite the opposite? The entire rational for Pakistan going for the RD-93 is that they could not depend on American F-16s as they were prone to sanctions. The JF-17 was touted as a much more dependable and cheaper sanction proof alternative. But all of that seems to have gone down the drain with the use of the Russian RD-93 engine in the platform. Was the entire episode a diplomatic loss for India or did Delhi actually think that the deal could be used to India's advantage at a later point.

The entire quagmire hinges on the replacement of engines and maintenance during times of crisis. The first thing to note is that jet engines are not as dependable as a layman would think. The Rd-93 engine has a serviceable life of just around 2000 hours and is much more prone to burning out compared to Western engines. The most likely tactic used by Pakistani pilots against numerically and technically superior Indian fighters would be bait and run. But in the process of "running" the Russian engines might be pushed to the limits and would have to be replaced before the Jet can be used again. Now comes the real problem; will Russia allow huge quantities of the engine to be exported to Pakistan or China during times of crisis with India? Even now the engine is only being purchased by China in limited quantities and will not account for spares in the long run.

Of course the standard retort to any such questions will be the use of a Chinese engine whenever such a situation arises. But then, that also has it's own issues. The WS-9 and the WP-14 are out of the question, which only leaves the WS-13 which is specifically developed for the FC-1. But the failure of the Chinese to develop a reliable jet engine is well known and the WS-13 has just started flying according to some accounts. Even western manufacturers with decades of experience take at least 10 years to flight test an engine till it is considered mature enough to be used in serial production aircraft. Will the Chinese managed to do so in the same time frame and more importantly, will the engine be a reasonable replacement for the RD-93. Not to mention that re-engining the JF-17 is not simply a matter of taking out the old engine, putting in a different one and connecting all the wires. China would be able to adapt another engine for the FC-1 without much trouble, but Pakistani technicians will face serious issues if they attempt to do this by themselves with a different engine.

Another question that comes to mind is whether the Chinese will be willing to spend a huge amount of money on the WS-13 when the engine might not have any role in the PLAAF's future fighters. If the FC-1 does not garner a significant export market, will the Chinese spend a considerable amount of their own money just to ensure that the Pakistani's are not dependent on the Russian engine? And of course in the worst case scenario of Sino-Pakistani relations souring, the JF-17 may become a white elephant and the Pakistani air-force will be instantaneously crippled.

In it's attempt to insulate itself from US technology sanctions, did Pakistan just jump from the frying pan into the fire? Will the Russian engine be the Achilles heel of the Pakistan's ambitious JF-17 program? If the Chinese miraculously manage to perfect the WS-13 in a short time-frame and transfer the technology to Pakistan, then it would not be an issue. However, if this does not happen, the Indians and the Russians might just have the last laugh.

Interesting read I found on another thread.......Any opinions?

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-...ia-against-friendly-neighbour-medvedev-5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom