What's new

JF-17 Radar Dome Size

Tempest II

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Using pixels I have taken two JF-17 side views and estimated the diameter of the radar dome/cover. I got 850mm from one photo and 880 from another.

qxl8cm.png

Here is how:
  • I cropped the photo so I more or less capture the height = 4.77m
  • You will notice this gave me 303 pixel
  • 303 pixels for 4.77m = 1.574257 cm/pixel
  • I then adjusted my cropping tool just to catch the height (diameter) of the radar dome = 56 pixels.
  • 56 pixel x 1.57427 cm/pixel = 88.16cm

Allowing for clearances and material thickness I believe the JF-17 could have a radar antena of over 700mm.

This could easily explain how the KLJ-10 meant for the J-10 (700mm diameter) fitted in the JF-17.

Please discuss!!

664-670 mm as per my info housed within a composite dome of approximately 740 mm, klj-7 V2 will have the size of around 700 mm as there is ample space available for a bigger antenna for future upgrade.

Hi, in addition, if internal equipment can be rearranged and/or miniaturized further, the radar antenna can be moved further backward in the nose. This will allow for fitting of a larger circumference radar dish, yet at the same time avoid an expensive redesign of the nose and its corresponding drag penalties.

Lastly, if an AESA can be fitted, that will allow for a potentially even larger dish. The mechanical scanning hardware and space needed to allow for the dish to swivel can be used for the antenna instead. Thanks!

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/6-75008.aspx

One of the big problem with Mig-21 is small cone which cannot house decent radar. Even the Mirage and Mirage F1 are deemed too small too.

JF-17 address this problem.

@Tempest ;

dude but as a pre-requiste for the calculations to be correct the photo must be taken from a perfect horizontal angle. Was it take in that manner ?

I think it is pretty much impossible to use that calculation for small size. And besides that the radar is not exact same as the radome. It has to move inside pretty fast so smaller.

@Tempest ;

dude but as a pre-requiste for the calculations to be correct the photo must be taken from a perfect horizontal angle. Was it take in that manner ?

Yes you have to be peperndicular. the photos i used where not perfectly perpendicular - and there will be some error.

Also we don't know how are ahead of the start of the radome the antena is or how much clearence is required inside.

I posted this for debate but I now believe the JFT can or might already have a radar to diameter around 700mm or larger.

I think it is pretty much impossible to use that calculation for small size. And besides that the radar is not exact same as the radome. It has to move inside pretty fast so smaller.

I would not say it is impossible - you just have to know your result will have some errors. It is an estimation/indicator.

I will try to find a larger image to use.

The method itself it not flawed - I have used an Olympus High Speed camera at work and it cames with similar methods of measuring the movement/position of an object you are studying.

664-670 mm as per my info housed within a composite dome of approximately 740 mm, klj-7 V2 will have the size of around 700 mm as there is ample space available for a bigger antenna for future upgrade.

diameter of the radar dome -rough estimate

F-20/T-50 => ~500mm (APG-67 family)
Gripen => ~500mm (PS/05 family)
M2000 => ~500mm (RDM, RDI, RDY families)
Rafale => ~600mm(RBE family)
MIG-29 => ~624 mm (N019, N010 families)
F-16 => ~660mm (APG-66, APG-68, APG-80 families)

JFT =>~ 670-740 mm

Typhoon => ~700mm (ECR-90/CAPTOR family)
F-18 => ~700mm (APG-65, APG-73, APG-79 families)
F-35 => ~700mm (APG-81)
F-22 => ~900mm (APG-77)
F-15 => ~950mm (APG-63, APG-70 families)
SU-27/30 => ~1000 mm (N001, N010 [924mm antenna ver], N011 faimilies)
MIG-31 => ~1400mm (N007 family)

I have looked for photos with the radome open and the radar visible. I then measured the radome and the radar and compared the sizes. I had 3 different fighter and the radar antenna, on average, is 80% the size of the radome. 80% of 850mm gives 680mm for the JFT radar.

I have looked for photos with the radome open and the radar visible. I then measured the radome and the radar and compared the sizes. I had 3 different fighter and the radar antenna, on average, is 80% the size of the radome. 80% of 850mm gives 680mm for the JFT radar.

Well done. Like your calculation method.

Tempest II -- sir , would you be kind enough to give a rough estimate of j10b dome size, from the 15-20 pics floating on the web? i.e
http://dc230.*******.com/img/uJiTLKPc/0.5646939279022455/a6_online.jpg

thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom