What's new

JF-17 Block III Multirole Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mach 2 not happening ... design limitations ...

Although TWR will improve which is more important than speed

It is confirmed, speed will touch Mach 2.0. JF-17 block 3 will use a more powerful & better engine than the previous ones.

It is confirmed, speed will touch Mach 2.0. JF-17 block 3 will use a more powerful & better engine than the previous ones.
Sir can you please provide basis of your claim ?

Thunders dsi is preventing it from go beyond 1.6 mach ... above that will create vibration harmful for the plane

Sir can u explain why speed is not important"?

Sir can u explain why speed is not important"?
Because none of the engagement happens at that speed ...

Speed is useful only for 2 scnarios interception (to reach the desired point on time) and to flee (to get away from danger zone) ...

For engagement an aircraft should be nimble and have greater acceleration and turn rates ...

Because none of the engagement happens at that speed ...

Speed is useful only for 2 scnarios interception (to reach the desired point on time) and to flee (to get away from danger zone) ...

For engagement an aircraft should be nimble and have greater acceleration and turn rates ...

If that is the case then why sub Sonic jet planes like harriers are retired from front line service

If that is the case then why sub Sonic jet planes like harriers are retired from front line service
There is a difference between sub sonic and mach 1.6 ... subsonic at max half of the speed of mach 1.6 ...

Ok let me put it this way ... whats the speed of the worlds most latest and advance war plane i.e. f35 ?

There is a difference between sub sonic and mach 1.6 ... subsonic at max half of the speed of mach 1.6 ...

Ok let me put it this way ... whats the speed of the worlds most latest and advance war plane i.e. f35 ?

For survival it depends mainly on stealth then avionics so no big issue if can not go mach 2 but a 4th gen bird will need speed to get in war area and get out of it as it will be visible to enemy sensors.

Hi,

Mach 2 is not important---. EW suite is more important---. Weapons are more important. Fire control radar is more important---.

Mach 2 means " nothing ".
As do the current recurring claims of confirmed this and confirmed that from some members- unfortunately these are propping up with some weight due to the very unfair method of gauging "senior" and "elite" based on posts rather than time on forum. It is upto those with experience and/or knowledge to combat misinformation.

Trust me many years back I've seen an F-16 over sargodha at a very high speed Must be over Mach 1.2-3 atleast, as it was giving a long smoke trail at quite a height. It was reducing its speed by turning left not more than 5-10 degrees and one could easily assume if it banked more on that speed it will loose control,it took more than a minute in that position and then lost it's supersonic speed. Then it started to dive a bit and started taking turns in a circle and then again dive to loose altitude and then again turn in a circle as it cannot loose alt in one dive. It came over the base and landed. I was in 16 block area ( high roof house) Sargodha and could clearly see it going landing towards the runway. So Iam sure at supersonic speeds dog fights are not done as jets can't menouver like they do. Mach speeds r just to run back when they do their job in enemy territory. Mach 1.6 or Mach 2.0 are rarely achieved in routine practice.

For survival it depends mainly on stealth then avionics so no big issue if can not go mach 2 but a 4th gen bird will need speed to get in war area and get out of it as it will be visible to enemy sensors.
agreed, its about design limitations ... DSI is used to reduce radar cross section and a result was a compromise on speed ... so PAF mst have compromised speed after some careful considerations ...

If you want to increase speed you have to compromise on other aspects , probably on DSi and aero dynamic nimbleness especially at speeds ...

Since there are many design engineer on this forum with lots of prior experience with lm, dassault, BAE etc so I will ask a question to educated myself how is it a mirage 3 of 50s era with thrust to Weight ratio of .68 in Clean configuration go to Mach 2 while f35 with 1 plus or so only achieves 1.6 ?

Trust me many years back I've seen an F-16 over sargodha at a very high speed Must be over Mach 1.2-3 atleast, as it was giving a long smoke trail at quite a height. It was reducing its speed by turning left not more than 5-10 degrees and one could easily assume if it banked more on that speed it will loose control,it took more than a minute in that position and then lost it's supersonic speed. Then it started to dive a bit and started taking turns in a circle and then again dive to loose altitude and then again turn in a circle as it cannot loose alt in one dive. It came over the base and landed. I was in 16 block area ( high roof house) Sargodha and could clearly see it going landing towards the runway. So Iam sure at supersonic speeds dog fights are not done as jets can't menouver like they do. Mach speeds r just to run back when they do their job in enemy territory. Mach 1.6 or Mach 2.0 are rarely achieved in routine practice.

Hi,

Most of the dog fights are in the range of 350-450 knots.

The F16 hardly ever flies at its top speed due to flex in the canopy. Speed is for show---.

JF17 has sufficient speed for what it is designed for.

The old F-104 was also a Mach 2 plus interceptor---and that is all it could do---fly fast---was a worthless aircraft---with a stall speed of around 300-350 knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom