What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Well for that matter, ask the Denel whom to blame but it's already too late for them. Whether Pakistan or any other partner, Denel got the end result and it has nothing to do with Pakistan.
Denel is pretty much still in business,Gulfies are keeping it afloat.

Sad to see thread is Idle since Thursday.
Lets try to add some Spice here....One Can debate on the authenticity of information stated below but we all hope, desire and pray that every good news about Block-III increased performance will comes out true IA.
Information Google Translated from Chinese......

Some New Features in Block-III
1. Electro-optical Distributed Aperture System (DAS)

In addition to airborne radar, Xiaolong BLOCKIII may also be equipped with a weapon in the same line as the F-20, a distributed optical aperture system. Although its resolution is only 100,000 pixels, it is far less than the 100 pixels of F-35 and the millions of pixels of F-20, but this is a high-end equipment that even F22 does not have, and it will undoubtedly greatly improve the performance of Xiaolong BLOCKIII. Information perception ability. And if you can afford it, you can further increase the resolution.

2. EW-S400 Suppression Pods

In addition, Xiaolong BLOCKIII has a huge change, that is, it will add new electronic warfare suppression pods and anti-radiation missiles, specifically to suppress India's upcoming S-400 surface-to-air missile system. This is the experience gained by the Pakistan Air Force in the recent Indian-Pakistani air battle, and since China has been equipped with S-400, this Russian-made air defense missile is not a secret to Pakistan.

3. The two-seater version is not BLOCKIII, but BLOCKIII will have a two-seater version
This is not the same type of mission aircraft of Xiaolong. It is the same as the F-20. It uses two-seater aircraft for airborne early warning and command. The man-machine conducts group operations.

4. Xiaolong - part of the F-20's technical verification aircraft
To a certain extent, it can be said that Xiaolong is part of the F-20's technical verification aircraft, inheriting part of the fourth-generation aircraft technology of the F-20's downshift, especially in the radar electronic system and information perception capabilities. In the Indian-Pakistani air battle that just passed, Xiaolong relied on its powerful information perception capabilities and system combat capabilities, and closely cooperated with other aircraft and radars to carry out a "dimension reduction strike" against the Indian Air Force, leaving the latter invisible at all. North, therefore, there is a farce of "hope for gusts" by the Indian government and military high-level collectives.

5. AESA Radar (KLJ7-A)
it is equipped with a new generation of electronic systems represented by active phased array radars, and its information combat capability has been greatly improved. Through a comprehensive analysis of network messages, probably a few years ago, the KLJ-7A type active phased array radar of the 14th Research Institute of China Electronics Technology Co., Ltd. defeated the LKF-601E type air-cooled phased array radar developed by the Aviation Industry 607 and became Standard configuration of Xiaolong BLOCKII. The radar has been installed on the Yun-12 avionics test platform and has been fully tested. It is said that in the air search mode, its detection distance is twice that of the traditional radar, and its performance is roughly equivalent to that of the Zucker N011M phased array radar used on the Su-30MKI, but its size and volume are much better than the latter in terms of fitability indicators.

Special statement: The above content (including pictures or videos if any) is uploaded and published by users of the self-media platform "NetEase". This platform only provides information storage services.
Notice: The content above (including the pictures and videos if any) is uploaded and posted by a user of NetEase Hao, which is a social media platform and only provides information storage services.

Last edited:
Could something like this be developed for the JF-17?

Hard kill anti missile missile that is queued by MAWS and launched automatically able to counter both SAMs and A2A missiles with HTK guidance via IR or active radar.

It is being developed as a concept for the USAF

1617038107946.png

In addition to airborne radar, Xiaolong BLOCKIII may also be equipped with a weapon in the same line as the F-20, a distributed optical aperture system. Although its resolution is only 100,000 pixels, it is far less than the 100 pixels of F-35 and the millions of pixels of F-20, but this is a high-end equipment that even F22 does not have, and it will undoubtedly greatly improve the performance of Xiaolong BLOCKIII. Information perception ability. And if you can afford it, you can further increase the resolution.
F-22 does not need it as it is not meant to be a ground attack fighter, if it was needed it would have been developed long ago.

*Effective against the EXPORT version of S-400, the one that has been bought by China.

It remains to be seen if India is getting the same version of S-400 or not?

I am very skeptical if B3 is going to have a DAS like capability. Reason i havent seen any such sensor on B3's body like we can see on F35 and J20. F22 dont have that because the technology was not developed at that time and design goals were v different and so was design philosophy. Lockheed doing everything to suppress heat signature of Raptor. Its competitor F2 and B2 all were developed by same thought process. Once it was realized that it is a futile practice as IR signatures from Engine exhaust cannot be suppress to desired extent the development of DAS began. DAS on F35 can pick up a launch of ground to air rocket from insane 1300 KM. fusion of all six sensors spread over parts of aircraft body coupled with special helmet of pilot enable him to extend his vision till the range of sensor completely excluding aircraft body i.e pilot by looking dow will not see his feet or floor of cockpit but what downlooking sensor is seeing.Now this is something that adds greatly to the cost of f35 and J20. All we saw on B3 are MAWS both in front and back...how much they can immitate DAS capabilities i am not sure.But if there is indeed a thing like DAS is on B3 it will make it perhaps most advanced 4 gen fighter in subcontinent.

I am very skeptical if B3 is going to have a DAS like capability. Reason i havent seen any such sensor on B3's body like we can see on F35 and J20. F22 dont have that because the technology was not developed at that time and design goals were v different and so was design philosophy. Lockheed doing everything to suppress heat signature of Raptor. Its competitor F2 and B2 all were developed by same thought process. Once it was realized that it is a futile practice as IR signatures from Engine exhaust cannot be suppress to desired extent the development of DAS began. DAS on F35 can pick up a launch of ground to air rocket from insane 1300 KM. fusion of all six sensors spread over parts of aircraft body coupled with special helmet of pilot enable him to extend his vision till the range of sensor completely excluding aircraft body i.e pilot by looking dow will not see his feet or floor of cockpit but what downlooking sensor is seeing.Now this is something that adds greatly to the cost of f35 and J20. All we saw on B3 are MAWS both in front and back...how much they can immitate DAS capabilities i am not sure.But if there is indeed a thing like DAS is on B3 it will make it perhaps most advanced 4 gen fighter in subcontinent.

I've already talked about this in previous posts. The Block III has moved to IR based MAWS system, and if the sensitivity and quality of the IR sensors is adequate enough, along with the appropriate signal processing capability, there's no reason why the MAWS on the Block III couldn't be used as a DAS. The DAS on the F35 essentially works in the same manner. If the report above is accurate, then it looks like the IR based MAWS could be used as a DAS.

See my original post below...
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-1...ighter-thread-7.427560/page-790#post-13014292

Last edited:
I've already talked about this in previous posts. The Block III has moved to IR based MAWS system, and if the sensitivity and quality of the IR sensors is adequate enough, along with the appropriate signal processing capability, there's no reason why the MAWS on the Block III couldn't be used as a DAS. The DAS on the F35 essentially works in the same manner. If the report above is accurate, then it looks like the IR based MAWS could be used as a DAS.

See my original post below...
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-1...ighter-thread-7.427560/page-790#post-13014292
What is the significance of PAC having ordered only 30 block 3s. Is-it because ceryain technologies are still being negotiated/ not ready/not being allowed?
Thoughts appreciated.
A

What is the significance of PAC having ordered only 30 block 3s
So this is confirmed or authentic? And, not just an insider rumor?
If it is not a rumor, then kindly, could you reveal who or what is the source?
Your response would be appreciated. :-)

So this is confirmed or authentic? And, not just an insider rumor?
If it is not a rumor, then kindly, could you reveal who or what is the source?
Your response would be appreciated. :-)
I have no source of any nature any where. I am only quoting what has been available in public domain.
A

There is no delay. Manufacturing of the first four continues. Delay was due to covid-19. All tech including HMDS is ready and tested and finalized before production commenced.
Sir could u possibly share more on HMDS?

Where is JF17B3 hidden? Even after the lapse of so much time, Not single pic is in the public domain. Neither in the air nor on the ground, nor even in manufacturing and testing facility.
What is going on for so many months? Why is it so secretive? When will wait give way to watch?
Will someone having more access to information explain the ongoing paranoiac phenomena?

You are not watching news closely. Pics were released in January 21 of the prototype. Just scroll back few pages and you will find it.
Where is JF17B3 hidden? Even after the lapse of so much time, Not single pic is in the public domain. Neither in the air nor on the ground, nor even in manufacturing and testing facility.
What is going on for so many months? Why is it so secretive? When will wait give way to watch?
Will someone having more access to information explain the ongoing paranoiac phenomena?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom