What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Do we ned it considering LD10 does the same job. I understand the utility of different missiles for the purposes of client requirement.
A
I think you mean PL-10 but maybe PAF thinks this is a better solution for any number of reasons. Could be cost, local production for Pakistan, or better performance.

Pakistan can replace Brazil as the main production partner considering they cancelled all orders and are buying IRIS-T instead.

thanks for the correction. Have amended my post

Would not be surprised if PAF go for both. One aspect that makes JF-17 good for export is integration with variety of weapons.

As well as all the Chinese systems looks like PAF has or will integrate

Turkish AESEL Pod
REK Bombs
MAR-1 Anti-radiations missiles
A-Darter
RAAD?

All of the above makes it more attractive to users, especially those who may not want to appear to close to China for political reasons (Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Azeris etc)

Do we need it considering PL10E does the same job. I understand the utility of different missiles for the purposes of satisfying client requirement but is there a comparison of the two which suggests one is better than the other
A
Very scant info on the PL10E. However, seems like its the heaviest of the short-range missiles at 105kg. All others, Darter-A, IRIS-T, AIM-9X, ASRAAM, are in the 88-89kg class.
Max load for PL-10 is stated at 55gs, while A-Dater at 100gs. Not sure if any of these are right numbers or not and what the real specs are. But seems like with A-Darter we might be able to acquire technology to produce them in Pakistan. Don't see that as an option with the PL-10s

Interesting, maybe Pakistan will get A-Darter. Either that or its for the NAF JF-17s maybe?

View attachment 726669

Please tell me to delete if already posted. Mods please move if necessary, thank you.

On the positive side, Denel did say it is pursuing a number of opportunities around the world, including:

A-Darter missile integration on a South Asian air force’s JF-17 fighter fleet

Denel is dying right now as an organisation, they dont have an order book to keep themselves fully active.

If PAF gets full turn key TOT that allows complete manufacure in Pakistan and the IP rights, then it might be worth considering. If not, then there is no value in taking this risk and we are better off on the PL10E route as that missile will be actively developed and upgraded by China, whereas the A-Darter wont..

If even Brazil that was a partner in the programme has cancelled its order than I don't see how pakistan can hope to practically & successfully induct the A-Darter, other than investing some money to get parts of the technology perhaps. Even the report mentions A-darter integration with jf-17 as a "potential opportunity" and not as something guaranteed.

Long over due imo
This isn’t happening, idea was dropped since Denel has suffered an extensive drain of engineers and doubts exist if they can sustain the program.

One wishes that Pakistan had the financial wherewithal to attract Denel’s engineers but most of them are now in UAE. And UAE will be churning out quite a few interesting systems in the near future.

Denel is dying right now as an organisation, they dont have an order book to keep themselves fully active.

If PAF gets full turn key TOT that allows complete manufacure in Pakistan and the IP rights, then it might be worth considering. If not, then there is no value in taking this risk and we are better off on the PL10E route as that missile will be actively developed and upgraded by China, whereas the A-Darter wont..

Denel is a good organisation but to survive it needs JVs. I hope South African government is not going to put hurdles against JVs. @denel

Ambanis roots & infection in Denel is going to cost them for long. They corrupted the organization Pakistan had own security concerns.
We can't blame them for our behaviour,we should have jumped into Denel in late 90's,if we would have done that many issues like Attack Helos would never have born in first place.

We can't blame them for our behaviour,we should have jumped into Denel in late 90's,if we would have done that many issues like Attack Helos would never have born in first place.

Well for that matter, ask the Denel whom to blame but it's already too late for them. Whether Pakistan or any other partner, Denel got the end result and it has nothing to do with Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom