What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

i think i read on this forum that on 27th Feb there was one special JF-17 flying with AESA, will have to dig in through the info, but i wouldn't be surprised that we already have a unit or two flying around clocking experience with AESA

Yes its true . Alot has been tested .

I think these figures are incorrect. Speed is not going to be Mach 2 when PAC have decided to produce a fighter with DSI. Improved Radar and avionics is a given in every block.
A

I m not sure about figures but i knew for sure was first jft blk 3 was supposed to be on 23 march 2020 as surprise but covid19 issue interrupted .

Until end of 2021 , atleast 8+ jft blk 3 wld be operational in paf .

I m not sure about figures but i knew for sure was first jft blk 3 was supposed to be on 23 march 2020 as surprise but covid19 issue interrupted .

Sir what is your source of info?

My understanding was that the platform is still being tested. 2 platforms will be built later this year, 8 next year and 12 each year afterwards as per PAF news. Now things may have changed due to Indo Pak tensions but platform testing cannot be hurried.
A

i think i read on this forum that on 27th Feb there was one special JF-17 flying with AESA, will have to dig in through the info, but i wouldn't be surprised that we already have a unit or two flying around clocking experience with AESA
PAF would already have tested AESA on another platform. You are right in that possibly there were block 2s fitted with AESA or another platform. Whether they are still with Catic or in PAF is not known to me.
A

PAF would already have tested AESA on another platform. You are right in that possibly there were block 2s fitted with AESA or another platform. Whether they are still with Catic or in PAF is not known to me.
A

We had only one photo of Thunder being tested with AESA in China and that was done way before 27th Feb. Just saying.

Can yo share the photo?

This is the bird.
images

I did share 2 more photos back then and had to search my library.

The edited version from other source

Thunder AESA.jpg

Last edited:
This is possibly the air cooled AESA.

Yes it is Sir. I think LKF601E was tested back then. There is another picture showing the Bird with engineers around (the second pic which is edited as shown in above post) which was shared in this thread as well. The idea of discussion was how the AESA will be installed on existing blocks given the size of nose & the evidence as such suggests that solution exists as they are testing.

The same was then marketed during Zuhai Airshow China 2018 as a solution solely for existing Thunder Blocks.
wind-cooled-phased-array-radar.jpg

LKF-601E%2Bair%2Bcooling%2Bairborne%2BAESA-MMR%2Bfor%2BPAF%2BJF-17%2BThunder%2BMRCA-2.jpg

You may remember that we had two completely overhauled Thunders as 1 in China & 1 being done in PAC simultaneously. I had my doubts that these birds or at-least one of them wasn't just simply overhauled to extend the life of air frame. We might have been testing Radar installed during overhaul. I liked the cone colour scheme though. However, speaking of possible AESA into Overhauled Birds or any one of them; is purely my own opinion and I can be wrong.

images

A minimum of 3 years after getting the jets.

Hi thanks for your reply but who were the pilots in those jets Pakistani or Chinese coz my Q was how come & will PAF take to train with BLK3 AESA jets for how long
If possible to answer
Thank you

Define "a couple of months", generally it means two months.

Wrong question ...
Wait couple of months and u ll get news regarding blk 3 or u wld cme thn and counter my statement .

I guess the picture is from 2017 and the aircraft is PT-06.
A similar larger nose cone was also observed on Jf-17B around the same time.
View attachment 651739

Actually I don't think the nose-cone is larger! Especially if it is the original Pt. 06 - and I would agree - you cannot simply change to a wider radome without changing the front fuselage.

This should lay to rest the argument that Block I and II aircraft can't be upgraded with an AESA.

Back
Top Bottom