What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

What the point of adding another set hardpoint when dual rack can achieve the same objective?
I laid out the multiple options available when redesigning the skeleton of wings. You can either use a dual/tri launcher, or you can have another HP altogether as well, strengthened wing to allow wingtip BVR like F-16.

Do google for the skeletal changes from F-16A to C and you will understand what i am saying. Someone here posted that, maybe @denel a month ago.

IMHO, if India got the T-50/Su-57 as planned, it would not be surprised for PAF to get J-20 in a short time.
But China and Pakistan found that they had overestimated the development of Su-57, and they have more time to consider other choices.

If they somehow got F35s, then?

Is this related to Block 3 ? No

I laid out the multiple options available when redesigning the skeleton of wings. You can either use a dual/tri launcher, or you can have another HP altogether as well, strengthened wing to allow wingtip BVR like F-16.

Do google for the skeletal changes from F-16A to C and you will understand what i am saying. Someone here posted that, maybe @denel a month ago.

Another hardpoint in JF will make sense only if Pakistan has the money, and an engine with atleast 25,000 lbs of thrust compared to 19,000 that it currently uses.
Also in current scenario, JF will only have chance to fire 2 or 3 missiles at max and then would have to bug out to avoid being confronted by technical superior foe so no need to add another set of hardpoints.

HP to carry IRST pod or for SPJ/jammer pod.

im talking about underwing.
Hardpoint for just IRST will make sense.

Is this related to Block 3 ? No

IMO as @ziaulislam suggested we should focus on improving the efficiency of the engine and increasing the internal fuel capacity. This will free 2 wing HPs.

So that would mean 2 new hard points, right?

But how much weight could they support, will it only be enough for a pod and small munitions?

Not sure about one or two like j-10 would make sense to have two one for ldp and one for jammer

Chinese pod weights 280kg while aselpod weights 235 kg which means if needed mk-82 ldp can also be carried

View attachment 609869

So that would mean 2 new hard points, right?

But how much weight could they support, will it only be enough for a pod and small munitions?
Just 1, don’t get too excited...

Not sure about one or two like j-10 would make sense to have two one for ldp and one for jammer

Chinese pod weights 280kg while aselpod weights 235 kg which means if needed mk-82 ldp can also be carried

View attachment 609869
Which pod are you referring to specifically? PAF Thunders have been spotted with at least 2-3 Chinese pods, 1 being the standard POD of PAF Thunders, second is the one used on J-16s and J-15s. No idea what happened with Yings 3, The one that resembled Sniper pod 100%

IMO as @ziaulislam suggested we should focus on improving the efficiency of the engine and increasing the internal fuel capacity. This will free 2 wing HPs.

I think I read somewhere that internal fuel capacity of block 3 has gone up like mirage 3 2300 vs mirage 5 ~2600 kg assuming a couple of hundred of kg currently ~2300 to let’s say 2500 kg will make a big difference

With one centreline 800 litres and 3200/3300 litres internal fuel that’s 4000 plus litres
200 kg is about 450 ponds of additional fuel [emoji618]️

In a2a with two drops tanks jf has good range but in A2g internal fuel will help giving extra range with just need for centerline drop tank and wing hp for a2g

Let’s See

We heard from many reliable sources that Wing area has been definitely worked out for more strength. Wingtip carrying a BVR will be surprise, if comes true and I am not denying such expectation... considering the F-16s development and we mostly see now a days in such load out pattern. Wings enlarged, strengthen and that's ain't for no reasons.
And guess what buddy, the best part, the thing i awaited the most, strengthened wings, will result in Far sharper maneuvers from our Mighty Thunders, Just madly waiting for our Block 3 Bird to perform in Paris. You can’t imagine my eagerness.

Does Block 2 pull 9G ?

And guess what buddy, the best part, the thing i awaited the most, strengthened wings, will result in Far sharper maneuvers from our Mighty Thunders, Just madly waiting for our Block 3 Bird to perform in Paris. You can’t imagine my eagerness.

@messiach Ma'am has already added enough in regard to Block-III handling and maneuvering.... extending flaps.... bifurcated flaps... indeed, everyone is waiting to see it flying to the full of envelope.

Does Block 2 pull 9G ?

Nobody is yet quoted to say such. only +8 -3 only.

@messiach Ma'am has already added enough in regard to Block-III handling and maneuvering.... extending flaps.... bifurcated flaps... indeed, everyone is waiting to see it flying to the full of envelope.

Nobody is yet quoted to say such. only +8 -3 only.
Oh, thanks for mentioning, extended flaps further indicates reworked wing skeleton. This indeed is a Major Major Upgrade, perhaps, PAF would in time get bored of B1 and B2 once B3/3+ fly in numbers.

I think I read somewhere that internal fuel capacity of block 3 has gone up like mirage 3 2300 vs mirage 5 ~2600 kg assuming a couple of hundred of kg currently ~2300 to let’s say 2500 kg will make a big difference

With one centreline 800 litres and 3200/3300 litres internal fuel that’s 4000 plus litres
200 kg is about 450 ponds of additional fuel [emoji618]️

In a2a with two drops tanks jf has good range but in A2g internal fuel will help giving extra range with just need for centerline drop tank and wing hp for a2g

Let’s See
Did you read that in your own post by chance? =) ... just kidding.
There is no way to know for sure but I dont believe there is any extra internal fuel unless the wing surface area and internals were changed significantly. We wont know that for some time.
As for Mirage 5s, they got more external fuel as the jets are slightly longer and fuel space was made due to lack or avionics for radar etc.
https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mirage-5/

60s era mirage.....? Buy Rafale then. 150 million a piece including R&D. Or EFT. Both are dual engines so spent millions of $ keeping them afloat. Our whole budget is 42 billion dollars. Indian military budget is 50+ billion $. Yes we can buy rafales but how many? 18? There is no use of it. Maintenance cost would be massive for such a small fleet. Then people would be bashing Armed forces for spending huge on defence. Mirages are good platforms.

MoU for new joint fighter was signed in 1995 between Pakistan and China. The first mock up of FC1 appeared in 2002 and prototype came in 2003 for test flights. 4th prototype with design improvements came in 2006.

And we are doing joint ventures with Turkey and China.

Dont know how you imagined I said anything about purchasing rafales... I specifically stated we should have expanded on manufactering the jf-17 program. So much time wasted where we could have shown a lot more similar to our nuclear and missile program. Jf-17 is definatly an achievement but one must learn from huge mistakes made.

Are you aware of the maintenace cost for 60 year old mirages? for Gods sake we are spending money on used mirages from Egypt. Our general have simply failed with the vision they have given. Our air marshal is also the ceo of PIA airlines. We are not short of talent, we are short of leaders with a vision. JF-17 project started with northrop gruman super 7 project in the 80's mind you...

From the saga of wanting to purchase 75 new f-16s, to new mirage 2000's, to new super cobras, to new turkish attack helis, new rooivalks, new j-10s etc we have seen it all int he last 3 decades and all we have to show is 110 jf-17s??? fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me fool me 3-4-5-6 times then...

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom