What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Since the HUD is being talked about, I thought i'd share this image that I found on the .net, on a Brazilian site...

https://www.aereo.jor.br/2020/01/03/voa-o-caca-jf-17-block-iii/

So what is it..., the Block III or the J-10?

I'm no expert on Cockpits, but I just found something similar in both cockpits which isn't in any of the JF-17 images i've seen so far. You be the judge.

Note: The bottom image is a confirmed J-10 Cockpit, I got off the .net, but, its the top one in question.

J-10 Cockpit.jpg

@LKJ86
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @StormBreaker @denel @Deino

Modern Form = latest than J-20 which apparently is different in look as well my friend. Your argument of a different looking HUD is right, IMO, however wanted to add that Block-III is not just different in look but also advanced/latest than the predecessor.

Might be a possibility if the manufactor is the same (which i don't know for sure) ... but due to its differences it could also simply be a dedicated export-variant specifically developed for the JF-17 (and offered for export) based on the J-10C/J-11B/J-15/J-16/J-20's HUD technology.

Anyway even if it would be exactly the same one as used in the J-20 I never would jump the wagon like @MastanKhan and interpret it as proof, Pakistan can get whatever it want from China including the J-20; that's my point.

Since the HUD is being talked about, I thought i'd share this image that I found on the .net, on a Brazilian site...

I'm no expert on Cockpits, but I just found something similar in both cockpits which isn't in any of the JF-17 images i've seen so far. You be the judge.

Note: The bottom image is a confirmed J-10 Cockpit, I got off the .net, but, its the top one in question.

@LKJ86

Both are J-10 cockpits

@LKJ86
Not a button, seems like some analogue meter

Seems as if this is the JF-17 Block 3's HUD: Called 'AURORA' EHUD-2.
(Images via by78/SDF)

View attachment 607206 View attachment 607207
Might be a possibility if the manufactor is the same (which i don't know for sure) ... but due to its differences it could also simply be a dedicated export-variant specifically developed for the JF-17 (and offered for export) based on the J-10C/J-11B/J-15/J-16/J-20's HUD technology.

Anyway even if it would be exactly the same one as used in the J-20 I never would jump the wagon like @MastanKhan and interpret it as proof, Pakistan can get whatever it want from China including the J-20; that's my point.
Agreed. There can be situations where China's export grade equipment boasts newer tech vs. the stuff in PLA service. The PLA has stuff that works, and it's infeasible to replace things only a few years in each time the OEM makes a new version This reality is the norm now in the US, shouldn't be surprising in China.

That said, I do hope we see an HMD/S (ideally display on visor instead of monocular) product on an AVIC placard.

Wow..very slick ! The left MFD has me all confused though. Seems like there are 2 MFD's merged into one.

@LKJ86

Thanks for sharing this link.... I used google translate to go through the thread and it seemed like I was reading a Pakistani forum. Cursing "missed opportunities" and "what could have been" seems like a common trait amongst third world countries.

Thanks for sharing this link.... I used google translate to go through the thread and it seemed like I was reading a Pakistani forum. Cursing "missed opportunities" and "what could have been" seems like a common trait amongst third world countries.
I like how the first comment is, "Mirage 2000 made in China." We've come a long way from the F-7 comparisons.

That said, if Brazil could collaborate with South Africa, Pakistan and Ukraine, they could come up with the scale to make various projects come alive. It's just sad that despite our similarities (e.g., shaky ties with big powers, structural economic woes, unique regional positioning, etc) there's no framework or vision for this cooperation.

I know of a retired PAF Air Commodore who really liked the Embraer AMX. It was 'just right' as a close air support (CAS) and intermediate-range attack asset. It could've worked for COIN/CT and conventional ops (via SOWs). Just too bad it was out of production by the time its benefit was obvious.

Last edited:
Block 3 thread...

Anyone who claims that this indeed is smaller as compared to J-20’s HUD is really silly even if it is a renowned member of some Chinese Defence forum. The theory is simple, Why would PAF ask for an altogether new HUD design just for the sake of some 50 machines...

Hi,

By default of technology advancement---the HUD on the JF17 BLK3 would be similar if not more advanced than the J20 HUD---. J20 had its first flight what maybe around 8-9 years ago---.

The HUD developed for that aircraft would have started its journey of being designed and manufactured about 2-3 years prior to that---so the HUD on the J20 would be starting around 10-12 years old---.

I believe the posters are getting where I am leading to---. BLK3 just came out---so its HUD would have newer upgraded technology---.

On 00000, a question was posted as " "Can JF-17 block 3 use Western avionics/radar/armament?"

look at this reply:

Hypothetically it could be done, Leonardo offered the Grifo E and Leonardo has a 25% share in MBDA the company that made the Meteor. Also the Gripen uses Leonardo's Captor-E radar which also integrates the Meteor. This can be taken that the Meteor can be easily integrated on a Grifo E carrying JF17 The Meteor is 3.7 m long as compared to the 3.9 m long SD10 which means its size will also not be an issue So yes a Leonardo upgraded JF17 could become rather close to the Gripen in this regards however I must add focus on my first word: Hypothetically

Last edited:
On 00000, a question was posted as " "Can JF-17 block 3 use Western avionics/radar/armament?"

look at this reply:

Hypothetically it could be done, Leonardo offered the Grifo E and Leonardo has a 25% share in MBDA the company that made the Meteor. Also the Gripen uses Leonardo's Captor-E radar which also integrates the Meteor. This can be taken that the Meteor can be easily integrated on a Grifo E carrying JF17 The Meteor is 3.7 m long as compared to the 3.9 m long SD10 which means its size will also not be an issue So yes a Leonardo upgraded JF17 could become rather close to the Gripen in this regards however I must add focus on my first word: Hypothetically
I used to have this thought that the sole reason Grifo E was in consideration by PAF was to acquire Meteor alongside as part of the deal. Guess it didn’t work out...

@MastanKhan @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

It won't make it J-20 if even it carries a J-20 mission computer.JFTBlk3 does have some fifth gen DNA into it but it isn't more than net-centric warfare and multiple sensor fusion.

Exactly my point ... therefore making any conclusions the PAF might get J-20s only from an externally similar HUD is at best fan-boy's level.

Back
Top Bottom