What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

The key with China might be to pay off part of the R&D of the SD-10/PL-12-series. So, if we're planning to keep that missile as well as develop and build new variants over 20-30 years, paying for the tech might be worth it.

China gets the benefit of offsetting some R&D costs, and we get the technology without spending the time it would take to make it again with another country. But it could be a solid $500 m to $1 b investment to 100% manufacture the SD-10/PL-12 technology in Pakistan, so we'd need AAMs and SAMs to make the most out of it.
Its well worth it.
SD 10 can be converted onto land base SAM and ship base quad pack sam. The range can be extended by using land boaster.

Hi mate,

True that considering your enemy weak is a bad idea and Indian learned it the hard way.

However the SU-30 MKI has its fair bit of weaknesses.
This is a JF17 thread and i dont want to but in. But there are discrepancies in above statement which needs to be corrected.
Being a big aircraft it needs longer time to "Turnaround" . Needs larger airports and longer runways. Has higher requirements for maintenance and by Indian Air Force's own admission the availability is less than 60%, meaning 40% of the fleet is unusable at any given time.
Old figures. Late RM Manohar Parikar addressed this availability situation. IAF demonstrated more than 80% availability rate in 2 weeks of Gaganshakti excercise. In war situation a 2 week surge operation with 80% availability rate is good enough.

In fact the first ever AESA radar equipped Fighter jet in South Asia will be the JF-17 Block III next year.

Incorrect. Jaguar Darin III upgrade with EL 2052 AESA radar operational with IAF.

Guys as a neutral observer I think u guys overly obsessed on Indian war equipment and their doctrine ,up to some point it's gud but u guys always over stepping and turn in to troll Post's, now back to discussion in my view jf17 all blocks from 1 to 3 very relevant to PAF its a unchallenged statement, even jf17 bk3 with aesa don't have to counter Rafael or any upcoming fighters in Indian fleet becoz it's not that its intension jf series fighter sloe purpose is to have much more serviceability and in case of war score more stories than ur opponent unlike 90 or 80 u don't have to go wvr dog fight and shoot down ur opponent its era of stand off and bvr , so pl15 addition to paf is a credible deterrent, like wise induction of additional Sam system also need of hour for Pakistan, so plz stop unwanted apples to orange comparisons and chest thumping focus on technical aspects of discussion

PS: don't call me raw for this post

Guys as a neutral observer I think u guys overly obsessed on Indian war equipment and their doctrine ,up to some point it's gud but u guys always over stepping and turn in to troll Post's, now back to discussion in my view jf17 all blocks from 1 to 3 very relevant to PAF its a unchallenged statement, even jf17 bk3 with aesa don't have to counter Rafael or any upcoming fighters in Indian fleet becoz it's not that its intension jf series fighter sloe purpose is to have much more serviceability and in case of war score more stories than ur opponent unlike 90 or 80 u don't have to go wvr dog fight and shoot down ur opponent its era of stand off and bvr , so pl15 addition to paf is a credible deterrent, like wise induction of additional Sam system also need of hour for Pakistan, so plz stop unwanted apples to orange comparisons and chest thumping focus on technical aspects of discussion

PS: don't call me raw for this post
Block 1 and 2 were intended for covering numbers with decent quality but Block 3 is solely for taking the edge in terms of quality and later on quantity

raw-man :):):lol:

Block 1 and 2 were intended for covering numbers with decent quality but Block 3 is solely for taking the edge in terms of quality and later on quantity

raw-man :):):lol:
Yep I agreed block 3 I can say its light 4.5 category , the only negative I saw is it's payload capacity and number of hard point's , considering geo locations and borders of Pakistan I think it's negligible becoz endurance can be increased by air refuelers, and effective swing role capabilities of jf mk3 make it more suitable for current war scenario and economic situations in Pakistan,

Yep I agreed block 3 I can say its light 4.5 category , the only negative I saw is it's payload capacity and number of hard point's , considering geo locations and borders of Pakistan I think it's negligible becoz endurance can be increased by air refuelers, and effective swing role capabilities of jf mk3 make it more suitable for current war scenario and economic situations in Pakistan,

Thank you! I have been arguing for half a year it's payload capacity sucks, compared to other fighters in it's weight class --

Hi,

You are incorrect---. The payload and number of hard points suit the aircraft's size perfect---.

Seems as if this is the JF-17 Block 3's HUD: Called 'AURORA' EHUD-2.
(Images via by78/SDF)

JF-17 Block 3 HUD - 1.jpg
JF-17 Block 3 HUD - 2.jpg

Few questions on JF17 Blck 3 - You can also point me to an article that addresses these.

1. What is the scope change visa vi Blck 2 ? I know of AESA, what else ?
2. PAF was interested in Selex Grifo AESA radar. What happened to that ? Is it KLJ 7 now ?
3. Any changes in cockpit ?
4. What is the new HUD above , how is it different from current one ?
5. Is there a LAD ?
6. Any new munitions/missiles for Blck 3 ?
7. What is the flyway cost and operational cost ?

Few questions on JF17 Blck 3 - You can also point me to an article that addresses these.

1. What is the scope change visa vi Blck 2 ? I know of AESA, what else ?
2. PAF was interested in Selex Grifo AESA radar. What happened to that ? Is it KLJ 7 now ?
3. Any changes in cockpit ?
4. What is the new HUD above , how is it different from current one ?
5. Is there a LAD ?
6. Any new munitions/missiles for Blck 3 ?
7. What is the flyway cost and operational cost ?

1. Internal and enhanced EW package. One more HP for IRST and targeting pods. Strengthened structure to carry heavier payloads.
2. Probably dropped due to cost and integration issues.
3 & 4. There were supposed to be none. But we saw a new HUD which is wider then the one before, so maybe more changes will be made or none.
5. I don't what is LAD. It will kind of to you to tell me about it.
6. Yes there will be. But we don't know what they will be as of now. There are only speculations.
7. No confirm price since it is still in prototype phase. But it will be round about $40 millions a piece.

1. Internal and enhanced EW package. One more HP for IRST and targeting pods. Strengthened structure to carry heavier payloads.
Internal ? That's interesting. Are you saying that JF17 will be having all the EW baked into the structure ? So no poded EW equipment ? What is the EW equipment ?
Also can you let me know what all equipment you are foreseeing it to contain ? - EW , RWR , MAWS ?
I am assuming RWR is present in Blck 2 itself.

5. I don't what is LAD. It will kind of to you to tell me about it.
Large Area Display - You can refer to Gripen E , LCA sport or F35 displays. Check youtube.

Back
Top Bottom