What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Even if India doesnt go with US made jets for MMRCA, then still have alot of business with US such as C-130's, C-17s, P-8s, naval systems, radars, nuclear energy etc.

Pakistan still doesnt have any meaningful exchequer to offer.

As for F-16V upgrade, getting it is no problem. It has been formally offered to us with a possible sale of 24 F-16V's during IK's visit. Funds is what we dont have.

PAF bought the BLK 52s with its own money. Why wouldn’t it do the same for F-16Vs?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the radar on JF-17 has a range of some 100 kms, where as PL-15 has a operational range of in excess of 150 km....so how does this radar becomes compatible with the PL-15.

JF-17's radar will guide PL-15 to certain guidance range, initially. Then PL-15's own transceiver/radar will guide itself to the target.

You guys in AF threads keep discussing AAM's also, PL-15 has a radar of its own ?

data link is the answer to your query ....
Data Link from AWACs?

That is theoretically possible through ZDK-03. something like below, cooperative engagement

saab.jpg

Now one could say if SAAB Erieye can guide Aim-120 then does PAF possess this capability for its F-16?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the radar on JF-17 has a range of some 100 kms, where as PL-15 has a operational range of in excess of 150 km....so how does this radar becomes compatible with the PL-15.
Not that simple. In short the 'no escape zone' is greatly extended compared the SD10 or AIM120. Hence it can be launched earlier putting the target on the defensive before the target can get close to fire its own missles.

JF-17's radar will guide PL-15 to certain guidance range, initially. Then PL-15's own transceiver/radar will guide itself to the target.

You guys in AF threads keep discussing AAM's also, PL-15 has a radar of its own ?

Data Link from AWACs?

That is theoretically possible through ZDK-03. something like below, cooperative engagement

View attachment 599966
yaap its the same as shooter and spotter concept ....
Now one could say if SAAB Erieye can guide Aim-120 then does PAF possesses this capability for its F-16?
link-16 is said to have this feature, but definitely I don't know that our F-16 could do this with SAAB-2000 combo ...

Its a active radar homing missile so yes. copy paste.
"Active radar homing missiles solve almost all these issues. The aircraft can be free to maneuver after launching a missile at enemy aircraft, as the missile will fly until it goes “pitbull,” activating its seeker and homing in on the aircraft by itself. Missiles can also be fired in “maddog” mode, with the seeker locking onto the first radar contact it reaches. These tactics can allow for fighters to “shoot and shoot” effectively, allowing a fast enough aircraft to avoid an engagement entirely after launching its missiles."

PL-15 has a AESA radar and this is a edge it has over the Meteor.

Data Link from AWACs?

View attachment 599966

Now one could say if SAAB Erieye can guide Aim-120 then does PAF possess this capability for its F-16?
co-op engagement mode with Erieyes is probably what happened on 27th Feb.
Im pretty sure PAF would have already or if no then in the process of introducing same capability on JF-17s

I was guessing it must have a transceiver at least, so it has a radar, any details ?
It is said that a new AAM with a smaller size for J-20 has came out already, but its range is the same as that of PL-15.

And maybe that is why PL-15 is allowed to be exported...

Last edited:
WTF !!!!
:pissed::pissed::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

However, more the delays, better the expectations !!!

@MastanKhan @PakSword @HRK @Signalian
yarrrr

BTW, it is justifiable.

2 Block 3 if produced in 2020 wouldn’t mean much so better produce Bravos ONLY.

Focus on one.

Could be that some export order might have caused this delay or rethinking of production schedule due to this below
BIG DEAL

@messiach @Hodor @airomerix :(:(

PAC chairman Air Marshall Ahmer Shahzad told AIN, “Production of subassemblies has already started for the first two 50 Block 3 aircraft, to be assembled next year, and will be followed by another 12 in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. We will assemble eight dual-seaters this year, followed by 14 in 2020, and the remaining four in 2021.”
(Article published on 15-6-2019)

The JF-17 Block 3 enhancements will involve new avionics, including a helmet-mounted display and a holographic wide-angle head-up display, better EW and ECM systems with integrated self-protection kit, as well as a missile approach and warning system, an increased payload, and more sophisticated weapons like a fifth-generation short-range air-to-air missile. It will be the ultimate JF-17, and with an AESA radar will have the capability to employ longer-range weapons and track multiple aircraft.

It appears that production schedule and up-gradations will be followed as stated above.

The production scheduled mentioned above reveals that PAC AMF can produce 16 JF-17 aircraft per year. From year 2022 till 2024, PAC AMF can produce four additional JF-17 aircraft to meet export requirement unless they increase their production capacity.

Hope PAF grab the Malaysian and Azarbaijan deals.

I believe that's called missile going ''Pitbull''....
@airomerix @krash @Signalian and others...
Thank you all for your detailed replies, naturally, i was excited to learn on the acquisition of PL-15 by the PAF.
However, during a chat with a reputable PAF source, he was of the opinion that these are likely meant for future version of JF-17 (Block-3).....due to current radar deficiency...well, you learn something new every day.

Thank you all for your detailed replies, naturally, i was excited to learn on the acquisition of PL-15 by the PAF.
However, during a chat with a reputable PAF source, he was of the opinion that these are likely meant for future version of JF-17 (Block-3).....due to current radar deficiency...well, you learn something new every day.

PL-15 have only recently arrived. IAF's Mig 21 bisons cannot track and engage targets on their own with an R77. They require a Su-30 or any other AI radar of a more powerful aircraft nearby.

Bison's radar barely tracks 50 km head on and 25 km in pursuit with a below average 40 degree TWS upfront. Yet we see it carrying R77.

Meteor's no escape zone is said to be highest around 60km

Pl 15s range us said to be in excess of 150km

There are even estimates ranging as high as 80km for the Meteor. Goes to show that these estimates are just that. That said, my post wasn't really about the ranges but instead about the concept. As I mentioned, they were based off of estimates and assumptions for simplicity's sake.

Last edited:

Once the older blocks are upgraded with newer radars Pl-15 will come into play?

And from your source will they updated the Block 1 & 2 with AESA making them capable with Pl-15

Back
Top Bottom