What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

8 more for Nigeria are confirmed, Senegal is looking for 6 blk 2s initially. Egypt is the dark horse, but Azeris are keen for blk 3.

So are Qatari's. Saudi's wanted complete ToT of Block 3 which may become a reality. The truth is, none of these nations want to be taken hostage of US. This is why most of these nations which imported expensive US-made weapons are now slowly shifting to French, Russian and EU made weapons. Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi's, Egyptians are just few examples.

Qatar had an option of buying more F-15's instead of Typhoons and Rafales but they chose to invest in different political landscapes.

Would China allow it considering US has considerable influence on KSA?
I would believe so. Russia allowed Egyptians to operate Su-35's alongside F-16s and Rafales. Not a big deal.

Only Americans are finicky regarding this. They dont trust the Chinese.

Would China allow it considering US has considerable influence on KSA?

Why not, after all the thunder was an export fighter for AVIC from the word go.

If I am not block III was not even having any Radar/other gadgets. We should wait and see.

It only lacked the radar, all other gadgets were in place.

So are Qatari's. Saudi's wanted complete ToT of Block 3 which may become a reality. The truth is, none of these nations want to be taken hostage of US. This is why most of these nations which imported expensive US-made weapons are now slowly shifting to French, Russian and EU made weapons. Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi's, Egyptians are just few examples.

Qatar had an option of buying more F-15's instead of Typhoons and Rafales but they chose to invest in different political landscapes.

Why TOT for B3 to KSA? Why not local production at PAC to retain maximum revenue?

Will TOT include export of manpower too. The last thing we need is some malayali from India working on thunders in KSA.

Why TOT for B3 to KSA? Why not local production at PAC to retain maximum revenue?

Will TOT include export of manpower too. The last thing we need is some malayali from India working on thunders in KSA.

KSA nationals are now slowly graduating from technical institutions and the government needs to create jobs. i dont think US will ever let it materialize for the simple reason, this is billions of dollars and they would rather have saudi's give it to them.

KSA nationals are now slowly graduating from technical institutions and the government needs to create jobs. i dont think US will ever let it materialize for the simple reason, this is billions of dollars and they would rather have saudi's give it to them.
Although i believe firmly in the fact that money isn't every thing, but it ain't nothing either. It shouldn't be like this that Saudis just waltz in on at the last moment and have the techs transferred on a silver platter. B3 is going to be our top tier, mainstay fighter for years to come. After the Libya and Iranian episode i think we should be weary about the tech transfers. Just to be on their good books, they let out every plausible made up details on the saga putting us in a very awkward situation.
The deep state has the MBS by the balls on kashogi, one twist and he will be singing like a canerie. It's just a post dated cheque that will be cashed by the US at a convenient time. We shouldn't let saudi touch the tech transfers even with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:
Well actually i am dismayed at the fact, if a radar has a Max range of say 100km.....how can it guide a missile that has reach of beyond 150km.....aren't you better off sticking with something like SD-10 until you have a radar with extended ranges.
I think PL15 maximum range figure may be 150km, but no escape zone might be say 100km, so there could be a benefit in using PL15, with B1/2 100km range radars. My rationale for saying this is as follows.
An A2A missile of 150 km range would have higher kinetic energy at 100km, than at 150. So if the target at say 140 km does missile avoidance manoeuvres, it stands better chance of escape. This is purely a speculation on my part. Someone with aerodynamics knowledge could perhaps articulate it better.

On the subject of whether the PL-15 has been inducted, according to Alan Warnes....

Alan Warnes

@warnesyworld

The PAF won’t tell me everything. As one PAF Chief told me when I questioned him on a topic he was keen to steer away from - ‘Alan, please let me keep something to myself!’

Back
Top Bottom