What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Only F-22 has mastered super cruise where it does not require afterburner to reach super sonic speed.
Where as F-35 EF and even Rafael still require after burner to reach mach speed and then cruise at the super sonic speed. Those engines are very very expensive close to 10 million dollars!
Their is NO way JF-17 which is a mere 4th gen fighter can not afford to have such expensive technology. China is currently working on J-20 engine to master super cruise

Super cruise at what altitude ? It’s not just any altitude usually at higher 30k and above

Jane's Defence Weekly
dated 08 January 2020

China aiming to procure airborne laser-based weapon pod

China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) has issued an invitation to tender for the procurement of a laser-based weapon pod, as reflected in an entry on the Chinese military and weapon procurement website: weain.mil.cn.

The website, which lists a "tender announcement for a laser strike pod procurement project", indicates that further information about the planned acquisition is confidential. However, the announcement was picked up by the state-owned Global Times newspaper, which focused on the likelihood that the project is aimed at delivering an airborne laser-based weapon, with the terminology "laser strike pod" suggesting that this is the capability expected to be delivered. (Andrew Tate, London)

Global Times, China
dated 07-01-2020

Military developing airborne laser attack pod, says report

The Chinese military is procuring a laser attack pod, which Chinese media speculated could be an aircraft-based tactical weapon.

If equipped on aircraft, the laser could potentially protect against incoming missile attacks and dominate in close-range combat, analysts said.

The procurement plan for the laser attack pod was revealed Saturday in a notice released on the Chinese military's weapon and equipment procurement website weain.mil.cn, Weihutang, a column on military affairs affiliated with China Central Television, reported on Monday.

The notice included the title of the procurement, but the details remained confidential.

Weihutang speculated that the laser attack pod was likely an airborne tactical laser, noting that if the weapon was used to guide bombs rather than directly attack, it would be called a laser guidance pod.

The report said China has already developed a prototype for an airborne laser weapon, citing a publicly available academic thesis.

Since a laser travels at the speed of light, it shoots where it is aimed - with no time delay - a significant advantage over missiles and bullets, a military expert who asked not to be named told the Global Times on Monday.

This makes a laser a great tool for aerial interception, he said.

An airborne laser weapon could intercept incoming missiles and shoot down hostile aircraft in a dogfight, the expert said.

China has already developed land-based laser weapons.

At Airshow China 2018, state-owned China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) showcased the LW-30 laser defense weapon system, which could use a directional-emission high-energy laser to intercept aerial targets such as photoelectric guidance equipment, drones, guided bombs and mortars, according to a CASIC statement sent to the Global Times.

The US has been researching airborne laser weapons since the 1990s and made significant progress in related technologies, Weihutang reported.

However, this genre of weapon has not yet seen wide deployment due to remaining technical difficulties including power supply and energy loss problems, analysts said. (Liu Xuanzun)

Integration of airborne laser-based weapon pod in JF-17 (possible future up-gradation may be in block 4)!!!!
Expected difficulty will be the on-board availability of adequate power supply!!!!

super cruise will cost u almost as much as the price tag of JF-17!

Supercruise is sustained supersonic flight of a supersonic aircraft with a useful cargo, passenger, or weapons load performed efficiently, which typically precludes the use of highly inefficient afterburners or "reheat".

Aircraft with lesser drag at supersonic speeds and powerful engines can supercruise.

Is JF-17 has the ability to supercruise with newly upgraded RD-93 MA engine (dry thrust around 79 to 80 kN???) and minimum payload?
If supercruise is possible in JF-17,
1. what are the supercruise speeds at various altitudes? and
2. with what weapons/pod loading?

This is a kind of virtual private cloud system (cloud native environments) for any small enterprises. It is different from traditional cloud computing in the sense that it is also secure and can be managed based on the computation and memory requirements during real time scenario. It will be useful in many ways for the defense as for example complete air defense system of a country can be all connected secured and at the same time provides the many fold computation and storage power. also for example all fighter jets and AWACS can communicate during war time with information sharing and also in making fast decisions.

further you can get the idea of its usefulness from this link
https://thenewstack.io/how-the-u-s-air-force-deployed-kubernetes-and-istio-on-an-f-16-in-45-days/

I think it is a very good idea to initiate it right now. and i know Pakistani people who can do this for sure.

This will be kind of useful in 6th generation technology in my view however i can be wrong.
What is this about???

Last edited:
This is a kind of virtual private cloud system (cloud native environments) for any small enterprises. It is different from traditional cloud computing in the sense that it is also secure and can be managed based on the computation and memory requirements during real time scenario. It will be useful in many ways for the defense as for example complete air defense system of a country can be all connected secured and at the same time provides the many fold computation and storage power. also for example all fighter jets and AWACS can communicate during war time with information sharing and also in making fast decisions.

https://thenewstack.io/how-the-u-s-air-force-deployed-kubernetes-and-istio-on-an-f-16-in-45-days/

I think it is a very good idea to initiate it right now. and i know Pakistani people who can do this for sure.

This will be kind of useful in 6th generation technology in my view however i can be wrong.
This technology is still in it's early period, nowadays it has become a trend to containerize everything while not all computational problems are suited to be containerized

Brother, you are right to some extent but i am doing PhD right now from Korea and i have people in my Lab from Pakistan who has been working on it from paste couple of years. yes its in early stages now but if we started today we may be able to incorporate it in near future almost at the same time with other countries. e.g. we can incorporate it in our Project Azm and make Azm as 5.5 generation and trust me its doable, its not like some other complicated technology that we couldn't as i have the basic know how of it and some initials implementations. Thanks
This technology is still in it's early period, nowadays it has become a trend to containerize everything while not all computational problems are suited to be containerized

Brother, you are right to some extent but i am doing PhD right now from Korea and i have people in my Lab from Pakistan who has been working on it from paste couple of years. yes its in early stages now but if we started today we may be able to incorporate it in near future almost at the same time with other countries. e.g. we can incorporate it in our Project Azm and make Azm as 5.5 generation and trust me its doable, its not like some other complicated technology that we couldn't as i have the basic know how of it and some initials implementations. Thanks

Why not take this knowledge and start a business in Pakistan and connect with the military?

Pakistan armed forces are already using secured comm links. Real time situation awareness collected from various rec / surveillance radars and other equipment installed on various air, ground and sea platforms are fed through these comm links to HQs, Commands and weapon platforms. To protect air, land and sea of our motherland, decision to use best weapon available in the vicinity to counter the incoming threat is made by commanders at HQs, command and battle field levels.

Pakistan military doctrine is defensive offence against our estrange neighbors not the world dominance. Therefore our armed forces need highly secured, reliable and well protected comm links. To get best possible real-time situation awareness and highly secured and reliable comm links, Pakistan must continually upgrade its rec / surveillance equipment, comm equipment and platforms in accordance with the new technologies available in the market. The existing platforms and strategic installations must be well protected from the incoming threats by having best available air defense systems.

Pakistan armed forces are already using secured comm links. Real time situation awareness collected from various rec / surveillance radars and other equipment installed on various air, ground and sea platforms are fed through these comm links to HQs, Commands and weapon platforms. To protect air, land and sea of our motherland, decision to use best weapon available in the vicinity to counter the incoming threat is made by commanders at HQs, command and battle field levels.

Pakistan military doctrine is defensive offence against our estrange neighbors not the world dominance. Therefore our armed forces need highly secured, reliable and well protected comm links. To get best possible real-time situation awareness and highly secured and reliable comm links, Pakistan must continually upgrade its rec / surveillance equipment, comm equipment and platforms in accordance with the new technologies available in the market. The existing platforms and strategic installations must be well protected from the incoming threats by having best available air defense systems.

Brother, you are right but what this cloud native environments will bring is that large computational power and fast response time. we can use this power and employ deep learning algorithm in other words Artificial Intelligence (AI) and make the system intelligent and fast. the system then can itself notify dangers and identify the targets. what we have now is very limited computational power and we wont be able to employ the AI as it needs larger computational power and fast response.

Why not take this knowledge and start a business in Pakistan and connect with the military?

I am working on AI especially deep learning in a real environment. Right now i dont have a very good knowledge of kubernetes and Istio but i will surely motivate my lab mates, who are working in these fields to start a company and work with defence ministry in Pakistan. Thanks

Last edited:
Why do we need to flood JF-17 main threads with information for which, we already have separate threads? Can't we just make a little bit of effort to scroll down in section and post content in respective subjects like Extra Hard Point, another engine or DCS videos?

The next thing is that, members found posting off-topic content will be banned from thread for indefinite period.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom