What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

No IRST in initial blk 3Bs at least, pics and videos have been shared. By the way, Mach 2 = 2469.6km so 2500 should be around M 2.1 or close? The new BVR is clearly pl-15, as we secured batches of it not too long ago. The intakes in B3 B versions are wider, but are still DSI, and the difference is marginal. Only if i had had a picture of it from the front angle.

Overall, the blk 2 and 3 single seat and dual seat will have marginal differences, not significant. Dont expect stealh shaping and diamond nose. It will likely be revealed in October or November. Flight testing of the first pt had already begun at KAMRA.
What did you just say??

Blk2 and Blk3 have marginal differences?

I have one confusion if anyone clarify then I shall be thankful.
Block 2 has data link and we already have AWACS then why AESA presence in Block 3 is so hyped up?
I can understand that individual jet having AESA will be helpful in reducing dependency on AWACS but what new capability AESA is going to provide, which Block 2 passive radar with AWACS on back is not providing?
AESA will fully utilize the range of PL-15. AWACS can't go near the borders because of their importance. But a JF-17 with AESA+PL-15 can shoot deep into Indian territory. Tag senior members they can clarify more.

Moreover AESA is difficult to jam.Block 3 will also have an EW suit,HMD and more use of composites and if reports are true it will have higher thrust due to DSI enlargment and other tweaks.

Block 3 will look the same but in terms of capabilities it will be a ddiffernt beast all together.

Last edited:
Well slap in the face of all the negative pakis.
Have some faith. Our airforce designed this and they will fight in this so it has to be good and give them the edge over the best the enemy has to throw at them.
Yes there are things missing in the article like what better engine. TW ratio, which radar etc but I am comfortable we will know soon enough

I have one confusion if anyone clarify then I shall be thankful.
Block 2 has data link and we already have AWACS then why AESA presence in Block 3 is so hyped up?
I can understand that individual jet having AESA will be helpful in reducing dependency on AWACS but what new capability AESA is going to provide, which Block 2 passive radar with AWACS on back is not providing?

What if there is no AWACS coverage, or you need to go deep inside the enemy airspace?

What if there is no AWACS coverage, or you need to go deep inside the enemy airspace?
We can live stream Radar feed into JFT cockpit using Zong 4G:enjoy:

Well slap in the face of all the negative pakis.
Have some faith. Our airforce designed this and they will fight in this so it has to be good and give them the edge over the best the enemy has to throw at them.
Yes there are things missing in the article like what better engine. TW ratio, which radar etc but I am comfortable we will know soon enough
Bro many members have said,people would feel dishearted once bird is out,they are not different from previous externally but have got some nasty internal equipment.

We can live stream Radar feed into JFT cockpit using Zong 4G:enjoy:

Bro many members have said,people would feel dishearted once bird is out,they are not different from previous externally but have got some nasty internal equipment.

A simple GSM jammer will ruin your day.

A simple GSM jammer will ruin your day.
On side not,building an OTH System and linking it with our every high value assets via satcom can be a force multiplier for us.

No IRST in initial blk 3Bs at least, pics and videos have been shared. By the way, Mach 2 = 2469.6km so 2500 should be around M 2.1 or close? The new BVR is clearly pl-15, as we secured batches of it not too long ago. The intakes in B3 B versions are wider, but are still DSI, and the difference is marginal. Only if i had had a picture of it from the front angle.

Overall, the blk 2 and 3 single seat and dual seat will have marginal differences, not significant. Dont expect stealh shaping and diamond nose. It will likely be revealed in October or November. Flight testing of the first pt had already begun at KAMRA.
What about 3-axis DFBW system?

I was wondering that how come writer, despite all the claims as such, failed to hint a bit about AESA choice... I hope you understand what I mean. This write-up sets the bar too high and for instance, I thought a fan/someone from the Forum writing all that stuff. New engine, 2500 Km/h max speed & IRST made me curious, though.
Some claims are a bit too high like you i am finding it difficult to digest. we know engine is not changing even though there is wisphers of an improved rd engine; but its design at it stands does not allow move than 1.8mach

China does not offer anything that can substitute American advances in avionics, at a much lower price range. This is unrealistic propaganda. China itself rely heavily on Russian technologies to develop aircraft. Unless China get its hands on the very best of American technologies in aircraft, WE are splashing in speculatory territory.
Why not?Would you say the same about the radar of J-20? Most of the technology on the J-10C and J-20 will make its way to JF-17. Merely saying that China does not offer anything to subsitute American advances is an understatement in this era when China has made significant gains in super computing and semi conductors.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/12/01/chip-wars-china-america-and-silicon-supremacy

Some claims are a bit too high like you i am finding it difficult to digest. we know engine is not changing even though there is wisphers of an improved rd engine; but its design at it stands does not allow move than 1.8mach

Agreed that we don't have anything else at hand to say except what is already available. PAF is on record and quoted on multiple occasions that we are satisfied with RD93 engine & there is no such sign for the change at all. However, boys are unpredictable too, proven in some cases and there may a surprise but looking at products as such available to get hands on; I don't see anything beyond existing setup. WS10 is still undergoing tests & validations as far as I can recall and then, RD-93MA is only being whispered with 1.8 mach but on other hand, I can still keep a room for possibility such as that there will be a well tweaked or tailor made solution engine and may turnout to be the existing choice. How much of bit of enlarged DSI can handle in speed regime? The figure of 2500 km/h comes close to 2.02 if I am not wrong. May be we are missing the acceleration point so also, the need of power for AESA.

The more we read & talk, its getting more complex.

Agreed that we don't have anything else at hand to say except what is already available. PAF is on record and quoted on multiple occasions that we are satisfied with RD93 engine & there is no such sign for the change at all. However, boys are unpredictable too, proven in some cases and there may a surprise but looking at products as such available to get hands on; I don't see anything beyond existing setup. WS10 is still undergoing tests & validations as far as I can recall and then, RD-93MA is only being whispered with 1.8 mach but on other hand, I can still keep a room for possibility such as that there will be a well tweaked or tailor made solution engine and may turnout to be the existing choice. How much of bit of enlarged DSI can handle in speed regime? The figure of 2500 km/h comes close to 2.02 if I am not wrong. May be we are missing the acceleration point so also, the need of power for AESA.

The more we read & talk, its getting more complex.
Absolutely, let us wait and see, as I have said there will be a Block IV; features will be added.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom