What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

What did you just say??

Blk2 and Blk3 have marginal differences?
He means structure wise. And as far as that goes it seems to be the consensus by most knowledgeable people on this forum. The differences are not marginal at all when you look at over all capabilities. The real differences are on the inside.

We can live stream Radar feed into JFT cockpit using Zong 4G:enjoy:

Bro many members have said,people would feel dishearted once bird is out,they are not different from previous externally but have got some nasty internal equipment.
Yes what people dont undertsand is thay 70 percent of the cost and fighting ability is on the inside. The air frame is just the carrier. Even in stealth aircraft the weapons carrying capacity is limited by internal storage and anything in the air frame externally just gives them away.
I am happy with the block three and inshallah iy will continue to surprise

Agreed that we don't have anything else at hand to say except what is already available. PAF is on record and quoted on multiple occasions that we are satisfied with RD93 engine & there is no such sign for the change at all. However, boys are unpredictable too, proven in some cases and there may a surprise but looking at products as such available to get hands on; I don't see anything beyond existing setup. WS10 is still undergoing tests & validations as far as I can recall and then, RD-93MA is only being whispered with 1.8 mach but on other hand, I can still keep a room for possibility such as that there will be a well tweaked or tailor made solution engine and may turnout to be the existing choice. How much of bit of enlarged DSI can handle in speed regime? The figure of 2500 km/h comes close to 2.02 if I am not wrong. May be we are missing the acceleration point so also, the need of power for AESA.

The more we read & talk, its getting more complex.
Then why is it that Air Marshall Shahid Lateef keeps saying in one video after another that the chinese now make the engine for JF-17???

Then why is it that Air Marshall Shahid Lateef keeps saying in one video after another that the chinese now make the engine for JF-17???

There is no doubt that China is manufacturing engine that can target market of planes like JF-17 but that does not validate that Engine is ready to install & go.

Absolutely, let us wait and see, as I have said there will be a Block IV; features will be added.

If you mean by Block-IV within similar size regime of current Thunders; then it is possible but having said that any apparent & prominent change in the air-frame may result in totally new bird/AC or we might see some kind of JF-18 or 19 type designation?

Agreed that we don't have anything else at hand to say except what is already available. PAF is on record and quoted on multiple occasions that we are satisfied with RD93 engine & there is no such sign for the change at all. However, boys are unpredictable too, proven in some cases and there may a surprise but looking at products as such available to get hands on; I don't see anything beyond existing setup. WS10 is still undergoing tests & validations as far as I can recall and then, RD-93MA is only being whispered with 1.8 mach but on other hand, I can still keep a room for possibility such as that there will be a well tweaked or tailor made solution engine and may turnout to be the existing choice. How much of bit of enlarged DSI can handle in speed regime? The figure of 2500 km/h comes close to 2.02 if I am not wrong. May be we are missing the acceleration point so also, the need of power for AESA.

The more we read & talk, its getting more complex.
Saying we are satisfied with the RD93 doesnt equate to we wont make it better or upgrade pr change

There is no doubt that China is manufacturing engine that can target market of planes like JF-17 but that does not validate that Engine is ready to install & go.

If you mean by Block-IV within similar size regime of current Thunders; then it is possible but having said that any apparent & prominent change in the air-frame may result in totally new bird/AC or we might see some kind of JF-18 or 19 type designation?
It could be either; but in present framework, block iv is a guarantee. lot of improvements post block 3 will be realised

Why not?Would you say the same about the radar of J-20? Most of the technology on the J-10C and J-20 will make its way to JF-17. Merely saying that China does not offer anything to subsitute American advances is an understatement in this era when China has made significant gains in super computing and semi conductors.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/12/01/chip-wars-china-america-and-silicon-supremacy
Perhaps my choice of words was in poor taste but WE must have 'realistic expectations' in these matters.

China have acquired tremendous knowhow in relation to a lot of stuff from its manufacturing practices (involving countless foreign companies), and significant investment in R&D programs (2nd to USA only). Still, there are numerous fields in which 'some countries including USA' do not cooperate and/or share with China (national security considerations in large part).

China does have ample and/or intimate exposure to Russian aviation capabilities, and not surprisingly - China is not only a buyer of Russian jets but numerous Russian-origin parts are found in Chinese jets including J-20. This isn't to say that China do not know much about Western aviation capabilities in theory but intimate exposure is missing in this case.

J-20 possibly represent the very best of Chinese expertise in aviation but it is not a peer of F-22A Raptor or even a similar jet; these two are vastly different jets with distinct merits in reality. Similarly, J-20 cannot be compared to F-16 Block 70/72 standard - again lot of differences in the picture in this comparison. Do not fall for absurd comparisons on the web from some writers who are simply fulfilling their writing quotas (jobs).

Emphasis mine. China have its own expertise and knowhow to share with Pakistan, and much of it is not a substitute to American input in similar domains (which is largely missing in our case regardless).

Last edited:
Perhaps my choice of words was in poor taste but WE must have 'realistic expectations'.

China have acquired tremendous knowhow in relation to a lot of stuff from its manufacturing practices (involving countless foreign companies), and significant investment in R&D programs (2nd to USA only). Still, there are numerous fields in which 'some countries including USA' do not cooperate and/or share with China (national security considerations in large part).

China does have ample and/or intimate exposure to Russian aviation capabilities, and not surprisingly - China is not only a buyer of Russian jets but numerous Russian-origin parts are found in Chinese jets including J-20. This isn't to say that China do not know much about Western aviation capabilities in theory but intimate exposure is missing in this case.

J-20 possibly represent the very best of Chinese expertise in aviation but it is not a peer of F-22A Raptor or even a similar jet; these two are vastly different jets with distinct merits in reality. Similarly, J-20 cannot be compared to F-16 Block 70/72 standard - again lot of differences in the picture in this comparison. Do not fall for absurd comparisons on the web from some writers who are simply fulfilling their writing quotas (jobs).

Logically speaking, China have its own expertise and knowhow to share with Pakistan, and much of it is not a substitute to American input in similar domains (which is largely missing in our case regardless). I hope you get my point now.
APG/83 is top of the line successor of radars from F-22 and F-35 isn't it???

DFBW is standard among all thunders.
Wasn't that a fully digital fly-by-wire system for the pitch axis and a more traditional stability augmentation system for the roll and yaw axis,and blk3 is suppose to have fully FBW system.

They are doing but Pakistan has trained manpower and infra in place for RD-93,it doesn't benefits us to change power plants only for sake of change.

Back
Top Bottom