What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

JF-17 Block-III | Pakistan progressing well on the indigenization of its Air Force!
An unnamed BVRAAM has already been test fired by the PAF a few months ago.
September 27, 2019 Mark Frank Defense Updates 0

9CCAFFC3-E6BF-487D-BDAD-473538D7C82F-678x381.jpeg

Defence Updates- Pakistan/ JF-17 Block-III

Thunder Block III has been developed with the latest version of F-16 V Fighter Jet in mind as a benchmark. The new variant of JF-17 is being fitted with an AESA radar, helmet-mounted display and sight system.

The JF-17 is a 4++ generation multirole fighter aircraft being made in Pakistan with technology acquired from Chengdu Aircraft Co., of China. JF-17 Block III aircraft will also feature a new electronic warfare system, upgraded avionics including a three-axis fly-by-wire digital flight control system, and a helmet-mounted display and sight system.

The latest variant is expected to be powered by a better engine, as compared to Klimov RD-93 turbofan engine which has been fitted in Block I & II of the aircraft. The JF-17 Block III has an approximate combat radius of up to 2000 kilometers without refueling and can reach a maximum speed of up to 2500 km/h (without dropping fuel tanks).

The Block III version, which has been in development for over 2 years now is characterized by an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, helmet-mounted targeting system (HMS), an advanced targeting pod, data links and beyond visual range weapons. With its new integrated frontal infra-red search and track sensor the aircraft will have the capability for quick information sharing and network-enabled operations that facilitate earlier detection and interception of enemy aircraft.

E132633B-C3AC-44BF-8D54-8592C4B50758.jpeg

JF-17 Thunder of PAF
The HMS system will allow pilots to aim anything in his/her sight. Whereas, the AESA radar will augment the jet’s capability, enabling it to engage from a longer range and attack multiple targets. The aircraft can alternatively be armed with air-to-air, air-to-surface, and anti-ship missiles. It will also be able to fire beyond-visual-range air-to-air missiles (BVRAAM). An unnamed BVRAAM has already been test fired by the PAF a few months ago.

The Block III version of the Thunder will allow information sharing between the fighter and other platforms. This will increase the efficacy of the entire combat system in defending against strong adversaries.

The production of the aircraft is already underway. The Block III is expected to carry a price tag less than half the price of the latest generation F-16 V fighter jet and features, manauveraility and speed similar to that of the US aircraft.

So RD-93MA and PL-15 is confirmed.

how much would it cost?? i hope we can have two thunders for one f 16 v with comparable performance
The production of the aircraft is already underway. The Block III is expected to carry a price tag less than half the price of the latest generation F-16 V fighter jet and features, manauveraility and speed similar to that of the US aircraft.

I was wondering that how come writer, despite all the claims as such, failed to hint a bit about AESA choice... I hope you understand what I mean. This write-up sets the bar too high and for instance, I thought a fan/someone from the Forum writing all that stuff. New engine, 2500 Km/h max speed & IRST made me curious, though.

I pointed out several months ago in this forum that Block III is expected to meet 4.5th generation combat aircraft parameters. It is our answer to French Rafale F3R in Indian hands.

However, comparing Block III to F-16V or Block 70/72 standard and expecting it to be on par at a much lower price range, is unrealistic. Let us tone down the hype meter a bit.

Nothing Chinese is on the level of F-16 Block 70/72 standard; Chinese technologies are based on Russian technologies in large part.

I was wondering that how come writer, despite all the claims as such, failed to hint a bit about AESA choice... I hope you understand what I mean. This write-up sets the bar too high and for instance, I thought a fan/someone from the Forum writing all that stuff. New engine, 2500 Km/h max speed & IRST made me curious, though.
All i can say is that from my conversation with those having some ''know how'' including with one source indirectly connected with Kamra, a good few countries who have been briefed on Block III are very keenly waiting for the version to make it's appearance and not without reason, anyways here's link to the article.

https://strategiccognizance.com/201...-well-on-the-indigenization-of-its-air-force/

I pointed out several months ago in this forum that Block III is expected to meet 4.5th generation combat aircraft parameters. It is our answer to French Rafale F3R in Indian hands.

However, comparing Block III to F-16V or Block 70/72 standard and expecting it to be on par at a much lower price range, is unrealistic. Let us tone down the hype meter a bit.

Nothing Chinese is on the level of F-16 Block 70/72 standard; Chinese technologies are based on Russian technologies in large part.
Not their modern avionics sir.

Not their modern avionics sir.
Let me give you a hint.

KLJ-7A AESA is not in the league of AN/APG-83 AESA, not even close.

AESA tag doesn't imply much, ask any radar engineer who have developed very complex radar systems.

China does not offer anything that can substitute American advances in avionics, at a much lower price range. This is unrealistic propaganda. China itself rely heavily on Russian technologies to develop aircraft. Unless China get its hands on the very best of American technologies in aircraft, WE are splashing in speculatory territory.

Let me give you a hint.

KLJ-7A AESA is not in the league of AN/APG-83 AESA, not even close.

AESA tag doesn't imply much, ask any radar engineer who have developed very complex radar systems.

China does not offer anything that can substitute American advances in avionics, at a much lower price range. This is unrealistic propaganda. China itself rely heavily on Russian technologies in developing aircraft.
I was talking about Russian avionics vs Chinese.

I was talking about Russian avionics vs Chinese.
Russia has made some of the best radars in the aerospace history. MiG 25. an old and retired interceptor, had such a powerful radar that it could saturate any counter system. In fact US copied MiG 25.
And we just saw how PAC failed in KSA ... it could not even detect the drones these drones were not small. Each was carrying 500 lbs of payload and travelled a distance of over 600 km.

those having some ''know how'' including with one source indirectly connected with Kamra

I will take this anytime over any article and you know why. Yes, the version is most anticipated and why our Habibi friends have to visit the Kamra beside where they visited during China Airshow, 2018.

lolzzz ... another usual lie from you... Do you have full knowledge both systems? kaghazi expert... hamesha jhoot bolna
naqsh fariyādī hai kis kī shoḳhi-e-tahrīr kā

kāġhzī hai pairahan har paikar-e-tasvīr kā
Ab Pata naheen ghalib illiyeen main hongay ya sijjeen main lakin unko pata zaroor chal gaya hoga keh yeh kaghazi parahan jala bhee sakta hay.
@RIWWIR

Russia has made some of the best radars in the aerospace history. MiG 25. an old and retired interceptor, had such a powerful radar that it could saturate any counter system. In fact US copied MiG 25.
And we just saw how PAC failed in KSA ... it could not even detect the drones these drones were not small. Each was carrying 500 lbs of payload and travelled a distance of over 600 km.
Absolutely sir

lolzzz ... another usual lie from you... Do you have full knowledge both systems? kaghazi expert... hamesha jhoot bolna
Why should I lie? What would I gain from lying here? You need to excercise some self-control and listen to criticism which might be valid. Aap ko koi bhee manjan dikhaa kay bewaqoof bana leta hai?

I shall provide a clue. AN/APG-83 is a derivative of AN/APG-82 which is in use in F-35 variants, and these radar systems are completely off-limits to the developers of JF-17 Block III. No company can produce a literal clone of a foreign machine without having intimate access to it, and offer it to you at a much lower price; this is unrealistic expectation in the world of electronics. You cannot expect Samsung J7 to be on par with Samsung S10 or such.

KLJ-7a, based on readings of those who had access to its briefings, is roughly on par with AN/APG-63 which is not bad at all.

KLJ-7a can reportedly detect up to 40 targets and develop a fire solution for up to 4 in a short span. AN/APG-83 can reportedly detect up to 100 targets and develop a fire solution for up to 19 in a short span. And this is just a tip of the iceberg in terms of complexity of radar systems.

Does it surprise you that China is behind US in cutting-edge? This is not propaganda, and no shame in admitting as much.

Unrealistic claims fuel unrealistic expectations, and this is a dangerous path which might motivate political miscalculations down the road. Therefore, information must be carefully vetted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom