What's new

Japan's Growing Naval Power: Japan building more Atago Class GM Destroyers

The engines on the 052D are copies of Ukrainian ones and licensed manufactured French MTU 20V 956TB92 diesel engines.If that's not a give away for you,i don't know what is.

Not copied, Ukraine got the legacy of GT20000 after the collapse of the USSR, but later they couldn't afford to develop the GT25000, that's why it was a joint development between China and Ukraine.

Overall, it is true that China has learned a lot from this joint development.

Now the late Type 052C and the Type 052D were all powered by QC-280, an improved version over the GT25000.

We have thrived the legacy of USSR's gas turbine, while Ukraine cannot maintain it.

So we didn't copy at all, we have done a far better job than Ukraine.

And the latest variant of QC-280 can pretty much match against the newest version of LM2500.

As for the diesel engine, it is not that important at all.

Reverse engineering, baby. Come on, we all have to admit we are influenced by some other party.

Btw, @flamer84 et ami @Gabriel92 , --- the Horizon Class of the French Navy is on par with the Japanese Navy's Akizuki Class. I read that there are 4 of these Horizon Class ships in service, and there's supposed to be 4 more on the way? @Gabriel92 , can you confirm this? Btw, am in love with the sleek stealth design of said ship. Beautiful.

4 in service,2 for France and 2 for Italy.
4 others were planned (2 italy,2 france (if i'm not wrong) ),but canceled.
But a new variant of the Fremm (with the same mission) will remplace the 2 cancelled (don't know about the italians,but for us yes.)

fremm-er.jpg

Last edited:
Not just our lines, hope our Chinese investment that victor ponta carried back will help you keep a job and entertained. No need to say thanks boss, just get your work done and make our investment worthy you got it?

Yeah German diesels rock big time don't they? Of course you romanian share the joy, c'mon they were your "ally" decades ago. They drove french down to the seas in couples of weeks, that's some kick-azz job, of course you should be proud! After all your happiness now btw how about romanian diesels? or whatever you can make?

Instead of this rant you could have said that i'm right in the beginning.It would have saved bandwith.This whole discussion is here because your countrymen decided to troll the thread by mudslinging at the Japanese without noticing the giant elephant in their room.

Now,about your rant,well...i don't know exactly what's that about,but...good luck with it.

You seriously don't have a slight idea about what you are talking about.

I am going to call a true British navy enthusiast like @english_man to come here to confirm with you.

LMAO, if someone truly think that the Type 45/Horizon is on the same league with the Type 055, then we cannot help you.

Russia also intended to buy the Mistral class from France, but do you truly think that Russia is technologically inferior to France?

One Yasen class is worth more than 100 Mistral ships.

And the Type 052C/D and Type 055 are European by origin? hahaha, the biggest joke of the century.

You guys are now getting closer and closer to the Viets, as both are the notorious credits thieves.

Buddy,

Its not fair to make a decision based on mere schematics , while the Type 055 is an impressive ship, don't be to quick to de-legitimize the capabilities of the Horizon Class, those ships are some impressive light destroyers with awesome fire power. They are , indeed, a ship of the line.

Now in regards to the Mistrals. Both the French Navy and Russian Navies have an impressive career history, and both have a long history of fielding carrier based platforms and launching carrier based attacks, however, let us be pragmatic. The French Navy had participated in operations in Libya, Sudan, Horn of Africa, Operation Anchor Guard in 1991, Operation Agile Genie, and currently in support of the African Union through littoral activities, and active patrol of the Mediterranean and Eastern Pacific. The French have an impressive history in Amphibious Warfare Doctrine and active and past operations , whilst the Russians have a limited AW capability due in part to the limited nature of their AW force and the limited scope of their carrier platform. Compare that to the French, who have a rich history in coordinating with the RN, USN, German Navy, and to a limited scope, the JMSDF.

All around, pound per pound, the French Navy is a lethal marine force. One that is to be feared, respected, and never underestimated.

Buddy,

Its not fair to make a decision based on mere schematics , while the Type 055 is an impressive ship, don't be to quick to de-legitimize the capabilities of the Horizon Class, those ships are some impressive light destroyers with awesome fire power. They are , indeed, a ship of the line.

Now in regards to the Mistrals. Both the French Navy and Russian Navies have an impressive career history, and both have a long history of fielding carrier based platforms and launching carrier based attacks, however, let us be pragmatic. The French Navy had participated in operations in Libya, Sudan, Horn of Africa, Operation Anchor Guard in 1991, Operation Agile Genie, and currently in support of the African Union through littoral activities, and active patrol of the Mediterranean and Eastern Pacific. The French have an impressive history in Amphibious Warfare Doctrine and active and past operations , whilst the Russians have a limited AW capability due in part to the limited nature of their AW force and the limited scope of their carrier platform. Compare that to the French, who have a rich history in coordinating with the RN, USN, German Navy, and to a limited scope, the JMSDF.

All around, pound per pound, the French Navy is a lethal marine force. One that is to be feared, respected, and never underestimated.

The Type 055 doesn't belong to a same generation with the Horizon class, so this is no brainer.

Does anyone need to argue that the F-22 is superior to the F-15 or Su-27?

The Type 055 got the X/S dual-band radar, the versatile VLS, and completely new designed hull.

These features can only be matched by the DDG-1000 or the Arleigh Burke Flight III/IV.

The Type 055 is superiorly designed warship, period. And I don't need to prove furthermore.

4 in service,2 for France and 2 for Italy.
4 others were planned (2 italy,2 france (if i'm not wrong) ),but canceled.
But a new variant of the Fremm (with the same mission) will remplace the 2 cancelled (don't know about the italians,but for us yes.)

fremm-er.jpg

Its beautiful, nonetheless. I'm assuming the tonnage of this will be in the 7,8 k range? She's beautiful, man. What a gorgeous, impressive looking beast.

Yes,yes,i'm sure that your engineers equipped the 052D with it just for kicks and giggles.:lol:.

The diesel engine is simple technology.

Yeah, our diesel engine got its root in France back in the 1980s, but now we are making our own version since long time ago.

Instead of this rant you could have said that i'm right in the beginning.It would have saved bandwith.This whole discussion is here because your countrymen decided to troll the thread by mudslinging at the Japanese without noticing the giant elephant in their room.

Now,about your rant,well...i don't know exactly what's that about,but...good luck with it.

German techs are good, is that a news? How about Rheinmetall's M256 120mm gun on Uncle Sam's M1A1? You should be proud as their ex-ally.
Yeah Asian have good techs, best by Japanese, is that a news? Of course JMSDF is advanced as hell. I never doubt that, check my previous posts.

Hey get us something romanian, victor ponta bagged our investment and what do you have?

Why are you wasting my time?You make licensed copies of it,meaning you pay the French for every engine.

As I said, the diesel engine is not a big deal.

The gas turbine is what really matters. And we have maintained the legacy of USSR, while Ukraine acted like prodigal son who has lost everything.

The Type 055 doesn't belong to a same with the Horizon class, so this is no brainer.

Does anyone need to argue that the F-22 is superior to the F-15 or Su-27?

The Type 055 got the X/S dual-band radar, the versatile VLS, and completely new designed hull.

These features can only be matched by the DDG-1000 or the Arleigh Burke Flight III/IV.

The Type 055 is superiorly designed warship, period, and I don't need to prove furthermore.

Dude,

I said earlier, its hard to compare schematics. The Type 055s, whilst they are beautiful and imperssive designs, have not been tested at all. These Horizon Class participated in Libya, actively make their presence known in Africa and conduct active anti-piracy activities throughout the Horn of Africa and in the Southern Mediterranean.

And lastly, these ships --- at 7k-8k tonnage, are beasts in their own right. They are only slightly lighter than Arleigh Burkes, yet they have the same offensive and defensive firepower , fielding one of the best air defenses (PAAMs) in any ship of its class. Their exocets, Teseos can eviscerate even cruisers , battle cruisers , while under the bulwark of their impressive ship to air ship to ship defense systems.

You have no idea what you're talking about by putting down French naval vessels. These are probably THE most feared systems in the entire NATO flotilla, and are at par with USN's systems.

German techs are good, is that a news? How about Rheinmetall's M256 120mm gun on Uncle Sam's M1A1? You should be proud as their ex-ally.
Yeah Asian have good techs, best by Japanese, is that a news? Of course JMSDF is advanced as hell. I never doubt that, check my previous posts.

Hey get us something romanian, victor ponta bagged our investment and what do you have?

Never said it's a bad thing that you're buying engines or other tech just pointing out to your fellow countrymen that is hypocritical to mudsling Japan for doing the same.

About China's investement in here,why not ? Your money's as good as anybodies.

Dude,

I said earlier, its hard to compare schematics. The Type 055s, whilst they are beautiful and imperssive designs, have not been tested at all. These Horizon Class participated in Libya, actively make their presence known in Africa and conduct active anti-piracy activities throughout the Horn of Africa and in the Southern Mediterranean.

And lastly, these ships --- at 7k-8k tonnage, are beasts in their own right. They are only slightly lighter than Arleigh Burkes, yet they have the same offensive and defensive firepower , fielding one of the best air defenses (PAAMs) in any ship of its class. Their exocets, Teseos can eviscerate even cruisers , battle cruisers , while under the bulwark of their impressive ship to air ship to ship defense systems.

You have no idea what you're talking about by putting down French naval vessels. These are probably THE most feared systems in the entire NATO flotilla, and are at par with USN's systems.

F-22 has been tested far less than F-15, but it is going to kick its a$$ in a real confrontation.

Never said it's a bad thing that you're buying engines or other tech just pointing out to your fellow countrymen that is hypocritical to mudsling Japan for doing the same.

About China's investement in here,why not ? Your money's as good as anybodies.

Because Japan is not on the same league with us.

Japan is dependent on the US for everything, while we are independent.

We are addressing the fact here.

Dude,

L'ami,we shouldn't enter in his "dick measuring game",it's sad to see that all 90% threads concerning the Japanese armed forces turn out on a "I'm am better,no i'm a better!!" or "China vs Japan"....
So,do you have any other pics of this baby called Atago ? :pop:
The Japanese navy is so
Jap%C3%B3n_Sugoi!.png

Back
Top Bottom