What's new

Japan's Growing Naval Power: Japan building more Atago Class GM Destroyers

It's funny that a thread about a new Atago Class destroyer become a clash of heated war between two side of fanboys. Well, but that is the beauty of PDF :)

CORRECTED-SPECIAL REPORT-Chinese military's secret to success: European engineering| Reuters

If the People's Liberation Army went to war tomorrow, it would field an arsenal bristling with hardware from some of America's closest allies: Germany, France and Britain.

Most of China's advanced surface warships are powered by German and French-designed diesel engines. Chinese destroyers have French sonar, anti-submarine-warfare helicopters and surface-to-air missiles.

Above the battlefield, British jet engines drive PLA fighter bombers and anti-ship strike aircraft. The latest Chinese surveillance aircraft are fitted with British airborne early warning radars. Some of China's best attack and transport helicopters rely on designs from Eurocopter, a subsidiary of pan-European aerospace and defense giant EADS.

But perhaps the most strategic item obtained by China on its European shopping spree is below the waterline: the German-engineered diesels inside its submarines.

China now has the world's second-largest defense budget after the United States and the fastest growing military market. Many of Europe's biggest defense contractors have been unable to resist its allure. High-performance diesels from MTU and French engine maker Pielstick also drive many of China's most advanced surface warships and support vessels, SIPRI data shows. Pielstick was jointly owned by MTU and German multinational Man Diesel & Turbo until 2006, when Man took full control.

Some military analysts remain skeptical about the quality of China's military hardware. They say the engines and technology the PLA is incorporating from Europe and Russia fall short of the latest equipment in service with the United States and its allies in Asia, including Japan, South Korea and Australia. This leaves the PLA a generation behind and struggling to integrate gear from a range of different suppliers, they say.

I'll just leave this here...

:pop: Obviously, our North-East Asia nations r busy in building more 'Aegis' DDGs ... We r experiencing a Great Glory Era indeed. :chilli:

Always remember, clash of steel & battle-cry between China & Japan, will only be met by the ringing of champagne glasses & laughter in other parts of the world.

Words of wisdom, friend. :)

This is exactly what I told our Pakistani members.

Any war now between any Asian states would send Asia 20 years behind, ensuring that Europe-USA OR what I call NATO nation continues to dominate the world while we all remain poor.

Precisely said.

Considering that China faces the same Jihadi threat through Xinjiang, Japan also has now seen its face, we Indians are also suffering from the same etc, I see a very unlikely but welcome understanding developing between our three Asian countries to have at least a joint dialog in the future to deal with terrorism that emanates from organized religions.

Words of wisdom, friend. :)

This is exactly what I told our Pakistani members.

Any war now between any Asian states would send Asia 20 years behind, ensuring that Europe-USA OR what I call NATO nation continues to dominate the world while we all remain poor.

Considering that China faces the same Jihadi threat through Xinjiang, Japan also has now seen its face, we Indians are also suffering from the same etc, I see a very unlikely but welcome understanding developing between our three Asian countries to have at least a joint dialog in the future to deal with terrorism that emanates from organized religions.

It seems that there is much overlap in our interests, especially in dealing with the threat of terrorism. I hope that this issue can be an opportunity for us to work together.

Terrorism is truly a real threat , and the best way to defeat this enemy is through direct policy, sitting back and waiting for it to happen will not be feasible any longer.

It's funny that a thread about a new Atago Class destroyer become a clash of heated war between two side of fanboys. Well, but that is the beauty of PDF :)

LoL

Europe has only provided us some diesel engines for the smaller vessels like the Type 054A.

That's all you have.

Do you have the technology of the aircraft carrier? Nope

Do you have the technology of the nuclear sub? Nope

Do you have the technology of the large cruiser/destroyer? Nope

Then no thanks.

I see much more of that in that article.Selective reading ?

Downplay it all you want,your fleet runs on European engines,is equipped with European radars,missiles and Euro helicopters.

What technology of AC,Large destroyers? Ofc European powerhouses have that,open a tv.

Last edited:
I see much more of that in that article.Selective reading ?

Downplay it all you want,your fleet runs on European engines,is equipped with European radars,missiles and Euro helicopters.

What technology of AC,Large destroyers? Ofc European powerhouses have that,open a tv.

Sorry, but our navy has little to do with Europe.

Except the diesel engine for our frigates, you cannot provide anything else.

The Type 055 is by far much more advanced than anything that Europe could offer in the next decade.

Sorry, but our navy has little to do with Europe.

Except the diesel engine for our frigates, you cannot provide anything else.

The Type 055 is by far much more advanced than anything that Europe could offer in the next decade.

lol...ok,live in denial,i just left that article for you to read in a classic "pot calling the kettle black" maneuvre.

Still,i do think that a little more gratitude for Ger,UK ,France,from you would be in order.Btw,just because your European powered cruisers are larger in tonnage that doesn't make them on par with technologies found in Euro frigates.Sry bro.I'd put my money on a FREMM against a Chinese "supercruiser" anyday.Don't get me started on the Horrizone class,Type 45 or Alvaro de Bazan ,etc,etc.

Don't waste your time with him,he'll always say that "chinese" military equipment is the best bla bla bla... one day he'll say that a type056 can sink all european navies ! :flame:

Yeah,it's the same with many Chinese members on different military forums,they always provide enertainment with their lines.

The Type 055 is by far much more advanced than anything that Europe could offer in the next decade

This one was comedy gold though.:woot::laugh:

lol...ok,live in denial,i just left that article for you to read in a classic "pot calling the kettle black" maneuvre.

Still,i do think that a little more gratitude for Ger,UK ,France,from you would be in order.Btw,just because your European powered cruisers are larger in tonnage that doesn't make them on par with technologies found in Euro frigates.Sry bro.I'd put my money on a FREMM against a Chinese "supercruiser" anyday.Don't get me started on the Horrizone class,Type 45 or Alvaro de Bazan ,etc,etc.

You seriously don't have a slight idea about what you are talking about.

I am going to call a true British navy enthusiast like @english_man to come here to confirm with you.

LMAO, if someone truly think that the Type 45/Horizon is on the same league with the Type 055, then we cannot help you.

Russia also intended to buy the Mistral class from France, but do you truly think that Russia is technologically inferior to France?

One Yasen class is worth more than 100 Mistral ships.

And the Type 052C/D and Type 055 are European by origin? hahaha, the biggest joke of the century.

You guys are now getting closer and closer to the Viets, as both are the notorious credits thieves.

Last edited:
You seriously don't have a slight idea about what you are talking about.

I am going to call a true British navy enthusiast like @english_man to come here to confirm with you.

LMAO, if someone truly think that the Type 45/Horizon is on the same league with the Type 055, then we cannot help you.

Russia also intended to buy the Mistral class from France, but do you truly think that Russia is technologically inferior to France?

One Yasen class is worth more than 100 Mistral ships.

And the Type 052C/D and Type 055 are European by origin? hahaha, the biggest joke of the century.

You guys are now getting closer and closer to the Viets, as both are the notorious credits thieves.

The engines on the 052D are copies of Ukrainian ones and licensed manufactured French MTU 20V 956TB92 diesel engines.If that's not a give away for you,i don't know what is.

The engines on the 052D are copies of Ukrainian ones and licensed manufactured French MTU 20V 956TB92 diesel engines.If that's not a give away for you,i don't know what is.

Reverse engineering, baby. Come on, we all have to admit we are influenced by some other party.

Btw, @flamer84 et ami @Gabriel92 , --- the Horizon Class of the French Navy is on par with the Japanese Navy's Akizuki Class. I read that there are 4 of these Horizon Class ships in service, and there's supposed to be 4 more on the way? @Gabriel92 , can you confirm this? Btw, am in love with the sleek stealth design of said ship. Beautiful.

Yeah,it's the same with many Chinese members on different military forums,they always provide enertainment with their lines.

Not just our lines, hope our Chinese investment that victor ponta carried back will help you keep a job and entertained. No need to say thanks boss, just get your work done and make our investment worthy you got it?

Yeah German diesels rock big time don't they? Of course you romanian share the joy, c'mon they were your "ally" decades ago. They drove french down to the seas in couples of weeks, that's some kick-azz job, of course you should be proud! After all your happiness now btw how about romanian diesels? or whatever you can make?

Back
Top Bottom