What's new

Japan's Growing Naval Power: Japan building more Atago Class GM Destroyers

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
A picture of a new Atago Class GM Destroyer. This will be the 5th one of its class. 2 are under construction with plans for 'additional' destroyers.

This one will be launched late this year to early 2017. ;)

nn20130409a9a[1].jpg

A picture of a new Atago Class GM Destroyer. This will be the 5th one of its class. 2 are under construction with plans for 'additional' destroyers.

This one will be launched late this year to early 2017. ;)

View attachment 190626

An advanced ship indeed ... congrats!
:tup::tup::tup:

How does it compare with Aleigh Burke or others? If any post on PDF please refer.

I think this one is JDS Myoko 175, looking at rear deck they had number 75, no hanggar for helicopter support facility it was the striking prominent feature of Kongo class destroyer. And look at the 127 main gun, the cupola is more roundish than the Atago class had because the main gun is come from Oto breda company meanwhile Atago using 127 mm gun from BAE system. An overhauling process my guess

@Penguin

@Nihonjin1051
On that picture...that is not a Atago Class DDG
It's a Kongo Class DDG, and look like the JDS 175 Myoko get an upgrade

The differences between the Atago and Kongo class are
1. The Kongo is lacking with helicopter hanggar, compare to the Atago
2. VLS configuration on Kongo are 32 cells at the fore forward and 64 cells at stern whilst the Atago VLS configuration are completely the opposite, with 64 cells at the fore forward and 32 cells at stern
3. The Kongo have a lattice mast above bridge, the Atago OTOH have solid mast above the bridge

AFAIK JSDMF plan for building another two additional Atago class and bring the total number of this class yo four ships

@SvenSvensonov , i'm hearing reports that not only the SM-6s will be installed , but this will also be fitted with offensive fire power. I think these will be fitted with Tomahawks.

It's long past time for Japan to have an offensive capability, so I hope this is the case!

Atago class seems impressive no doubt Japan is sole naval power in the region.

@Nihonjin1051
On that picture...that is not a Atago Class DDG
It's a Kongo Class DDG, and look like the JDS 175 Myoko get an upgrade

The differences between the Atago and Kongo class are
1. The Kongo is lacking with helicopter hanggar, compare to the Atago
2. VLS configuration on Kongo are 32 cells at the fore forward and 64 cells at stern whilst the Atago VLS configuration are completely the opposite, with 64 cells at the fore forward and 32 cells at stern
3. The Kongo have a lattice mast above bridge, the Atago OTOH have solid mast above the bridge

AFAIK JSDMF plan for building another two additional Atago class and bring the total number of this class yo four ships

You know you and @madokafc are right, it is the JS Myoko, just saw the specs and it is undergoing upgrade. I'll have to find another update pics on the 2 Atagos that are being built.

I think this one is JDS Myoko 175, looking at rear deck they had number 75, no hanggar for helicopter support facility it was the striking prominent feature of Kongo class destroyer. And look at the 127 main gun, the cupola is more roundish than the Atago class had because the main gun is come from Oto breda company meanwhile Atago using 127 mm gun from BAE system. An overhauling process my guess

@Penguin

Sharp eyes you have my dear! ;)

I'm guessing that the upgrades on these Kongo class is the SM-3 Block IIa. I need to verify tho, @SvenSvensonov , have you heard any news about whether Kongos will be upgrading to the SM-6 ? Anything from USN news ?

Atago class seems impressive no doubt Japan is sole naval power in the region.
While Japan has a powerful navy, the asia pacific region is filled with powerful Navies, I wouldn't say Japan is the sole naval power in the region.

The PLAN (Chinese navy) is number 2 largest navy in the world, and while not as advanced as Japanese navy, a war between the two will have no clear winner. In fact, if you're Indian, you should not underestimate the PLAN for they will be your future main rival in the Indian Ocean.

Russia had a monster navy 25 years ago with 280+ submarines, 6 carriers, 80 destroyers+cruisers, 250+ frigates+corvettes, of course it is a shadow of its former self now, but its submarines are still some of the best in the world. In terms of total tonnage, it is still the 3rd largest in the world, of course, noone knows the true tonnage of the Russian Navy as many of its cold war relics might not be operational.

South Korea, with a small population of 50 million, has the 8th largest navy in the world, with some pretty high tech stuff too i may add.

Taiwan, with a population of only 22 million, has the 10th largest navy in the world. While it is not as advanced as China, Japan's, or SK's navy (no ageis destoyers or advanced submarines), it is still considered a middle powered navy with plenty of anti surface ship capabilities.

Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand are also modest naval powers.

While Japan has a powerful navy, the asia pacific region is filled with powerful Navies, I wouldn't say Japan is the sole naval power in the region.

The PLAN (Chinese navy) is number 2 largest navy in the world, and while not as advanced as Japanese navy, a war between the two will have no clear winner. In fact, if you're Indian, you should not underestimate the PLAN for they will be your future main rival in the Indian Ocean.

Russia had a monster navy 25 years ago with 280+ submarines, 6 carriers, 80 destroyers+cruisers, 250+ frigates+corvettes, of course it is a shadow of its former self now, but its submarines are still some of the best in the world. In terms of total tonnage, it is still the 3rd largest in the world, of course, noone knows the true tonnage of the Russian Navy as many of its cold war relics might not be operational.

South Korea, with a small population of 50 million, has the 8th largest navy in the world, with some pretty high tech stuff too i may add.

Taiwan, with a population of only 22 million, has the 10th largest navy in the world. While it is not as advanced as China, Japan's, or SK's navy (no ageis destoyers or advanced submarines), it is still considered a middle powered navy with plenty of anti surface ship capabilities.

Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand are also modest naval powers.
That's why i didn't mentioned India coz I.N is in transition phase so by 2025 when our economy touched $5 trillion i hope it would be a formidable naval power

I agree Russia,Taiwan and south Korea are major N power but they have no conflict of interest with Japan and i think any future conflict (naval) PLAN will have to face combine might of jap and US

That's why i didn't mentioned India coz I.N is in transition phase so by 2025 when our economy touched $5 trillion i hope it would be a formidable naval power

I agree Russia,Taiwan and south Korea are major N power but they have no conflict of interest with Japan and i think any future conflict (naval) PLAN will have to face combine might of jap and US

no conflict of interest lol
Japan- Korea Liancourt Rocks
Japan - Russia Kuril Islands
Japan - Taiwan Diaoyu Island

Back
Top Bottom