What's new

Japan's Growing Naval Power: Japan building more Atago Class GM Destroyers

Due the constitution after the WWII, their navy cannot possess any weapon with the offensive capability.

The main role of the JMSDF is to support the USN as an anti-sub troop, while the USN can provide them the air superiority.
It is pointless to talk about Japan power when their power base is associated with the US power due to the dependency. They are like a tandem with Japan acting as a support-line soldier. Also let remind all our friends that true power do not depend on others nor do they listen and follow order from others.

Most CD members still respect Russia's sub fleet.

However, as for Japan, there is nothing so far that looks impressive.
CD members are more knowledgeable in defense matter than the folks here. Personally, I would never consider us 2nd naval power until we can match Russian submarine fleet even if we have 10x more surface vessel than Russia. That is how much I respect our mighty Russian friend!

CD members are more knowledgeable in defense matter than the folks here. Personally, I would never consider us 2nd naval power until we can match Russian submarine fleet even if we have 10x more surface vessel than Russia. That is how much I respect our mighty Russian friend!

Our nuclear sub fleet is still kinda too weak for now.

We need to build at least over 30 nuclear subs with the Type 093/094 and the Type 095/096 only, then we can call ourselves a true naval power.

Importing gas turbo from US or UK,carronade from Italia,radar and VLS from US and then building a hull to fix them.This is just the so-called Japanese high tech.
If war begin,we can keep on producing more and more warships,but Japan is not able to build their own ship without imported elements.
BTW,while Japan lauch a DDG,we lauch 5 DDGs.By 2020,the tonnage of PLAN will be at least 4 times of JMSDF.The next gen PLAN warships will use the most advanced technology and they will be very huge and powerful,just like 055 DDG,054B FFG,001A & 002 AC,etc.PLAN will have the capacity to challenge US navy's 7th fleet in just one decade.

Our nuclear sub fleet is still kinda too weak for now.

We need to build at least over 30 nuclear subs with the Type 093/094 and the Type 095/096 only, then we can call ourselves a true naval power.
By 2020s, we would be somewhere close to that goal.

Importing gas turbo from US or UK,carronade from Italia,radar and VLS from US and then building a hull to fix them.This is just the so-called Japanese high tech.
If war begin,we can keep on producing more and more warships,but Japan is not able to build their own ship without imported elements.
BTW,while Japan lauch a DDG,we lauch 5 DDGs.By 2020,the tonnage of PLAN will be at least 4 times of JMSDF.The next gen PLAN warships will use the most advanced technology and they will be very huge and powerful,just like 055 DDG,054B FFG,001A & 002 AC,etc.PLAN will have the capacity to challenge US navy's 7th fleet in just one decade.

About Soryu, they still use that obsolete Stirling AIP, while our Type 039C already uses the fuel cell AIP.

If true than these destroyers are a joke

MK-41 VLS can be fitted with Tomahawk if necessary without much preparation to the launching system as whole. What they really need is the gut to arm themselves with offensive weapons.

And i must say, Standard missile can be used as AShM too, and almost all of Japanese destroyer carries Standard missiles in large number

About Soryu, they still use that obsolete Stirling AIP, while our Type 039C already uses the fuel cell AIP.
As I know,Japan get the original tech of Stirling engine from Sweden.BTW,China get the same tech from Sweden.
In fact,the capability of Soryu is exaggrerated.Soryu is a very advanced SSK,but it is not superior to Chinese AIP subs.And it cannot match any SSN,even some very small and old SSNs like 091 or Rubis.

A picture of a new Atago Class GM Destroyer. This will be the 5th one of its class. 2 are under construction with plans for 'additional' destroyers.

This one will be launched late this year to early 2017. ;)

View attachment 190626

How does she fare Against INS Kolkata?

I am asking this way because I dont know anyting about Atago and comparision with Kolkata will make the picture clear.

MK-41 VLS can be fitted with Tomahawk if necessary without much preparation to the launching system as whole. What they really need is the gut to arm themselves with offensive weapons.

And i must say, Standard missile can be used as AShM too, and almost all of Japanese destroyer carries Standard missiles in large number

Yep, but the US has put a limitation on the software system, that's why it cannot fire the cruise missile.

Even their range is limited to 150 KM

Even their range is limited to 150 KM

The Aegis defense system is a massive complex software engineering system.

If the US doesn't release its source codes, then Japan cannot put any long range anti-ship missile or the cruise missile on their Aegis vessels.

Just like Microsoft with their Windows OS, if they don't provide you the source codes, then you would keep getting screwed.

One cannot just count missiles & radar type, etc to determine quality of hardware. Things like ship layout, fixture materials or even how pipes & wiring are done tells alot. In this regard there is alot for us to study & learn from Japan/US.

One cannot just count missiles & radar type, etc to determine quality of hardware. Things like ship layout, fixture materials or even how pipes & wiring are done tells alot. In this regard there is alot for us to study & learn from Japan/US.

To be humble, we can still borrow some ideas from the US.

However, Japan has not contributed anything so far to the development of the modern warfare, dunno what we need to learn from them.

A picture of a new Atago Class GM Destroyer. This will be the 5th one of its class. 2 are under construction with plans for 'additional' destroyers.

This one will be launched late this year to early 2017. ;)

View attachment 190626

Looks good & how do they fare against he type 52Ds the Chinese are fielding right now

I think this one is JDS Myoko 175, looking at rear deck they had number 75, no hanggar for helicopter support facility it was the striking prominent feature of Kongo class destroyer. And look at the 127 main gun, the cupola is more roundish than the Atago class had because the main gun is come from Oto breda company meanwhile Atago using 127 mm gun from BAE system. An overhauling process my guess

@Penguin
Indeed

Yeah, I was pretty shock to realize the so called "world best submarine" Soryu is actually using Swedish AIP tech and that is the main reason for it highly praise.
Japan has been building pretty good conventional subs after WW2 (and relatively big ones) even before they acquired AIP from Sweden. THAT is the reason for high praise, not the AIP per se.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom