What's new

Japan considers building its own fighter jets

How you say about Scarborough Shoal ? is it closer to China than to Philipines ?
I think it's most important to keep the Senkaku issue in limit conflict only. But China effort to spread the hate to Japanese too much. That benefited to Japan and others, anyway.

Brother, let's refrain from talking about territorial claims. Thank you.

How you say about Scarborough Shoal ? is it closer to China than to Philipines ?
I think it's most important to keep the Senkaku issue in limit conflict only. But China effort to spread the hate to Japanese too much. That benefited to Japan and others, anyway.
China should not claim Scarborough Shoal as they appear not to be the part of China but of Philippines. It is not that China is spreading hatred against Japan but you need to consider the history as well. Imperial Japanese forces have done some horrible things in Manchuria, and Chinese have not forgotten those atrocities.

After a US Congressional Review, it approved the advanced technological transfer to the Japan Ministry of Defense, where we applied key technologies to our own variant of the F-15J Kai, which was produced by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. It borrows from the American F-15 J and CD variants, however, it is its own and hence if we decide to sell any of our current active 223 F-15 J Kais -- would be met with little to no objection from the United States. Given the Philippines' strategic position and special relations to both Japan and the Untied States -- I'm 100% sure the Yanks won't give us lip.

If the our government approach the Japanese government and if the JASDF will consider retiring some of the F-15s then we may could acquire it but this would likely happen if the procurement of JAS 39 is approved and we then are looking for an air-superiority fighter.

Senkaku islands are geographically closer to China than to Japan so they belong to China without doubt. China has every right to claim these islands, by force if necessary. Japan has to leave behind its WWII defeat and start acting like a sovereign country rather than as a US colony (granted that Okinawa is still under US occupation). Japanese are hell of a people, damn hardworking, innovative, loyal to their country, and above all, true Asians. Rise of China is not only rise of China, it is rise of Asia, and time has come that all the Asian countries join hands and try to put an end to the Western/US hegemony.

That never was my point. Japan has all the right to sell whatever to whomever. All I am saying is, Japan should look at her own interest rather than that of the US.

Is that a fact? Because its closer to China?o_O You know many of our islands in the Pacific are closer to China as well instead of being close to U.S., does that mean it belongs to them?

@Oldman1 ,

The Jas Gripen is over priced for the Philippines, in my view. 1 unit is worth $69 million. The F-15 CD block is worth $30 million. I'm sure that it would benefit the PAF if it were to acquire the F-15, which is far more experienced, proven. The F-15 is an air superiority fighter, whereas the Jas Gripen is an over-priced, untested (in combat). The issue remains is the maintenance cost of these birds. We have to also be considerate of the Philippines' defense budget.

Japan_Air_Self_Defense_Force_F-15.jpg

f15se.jpg

F-15E+Strike+Eagle+Bagram+Air+Field+receives+fuel+KC-10+Extender%252C+908th+Expeditionary+Air+Refueling+Squadron%252C+air+refueling+mission+Operation+Enduring+Freedom+over+Afghanist+%25284%2529.jpg

If the our government approach the Japanese government and if the JASDF will consider retiring some of the F-15s then we may could acquire it but this would likely happen if the procurement of JAS 39 is approved and we then are looking for an air-superiority fighter.

This coming September, 2014 -- Japan Ministry of Defense will be conducting military arms sales talk with representatives of ASEAN countries -- about sale of Japanese air, ground, and naval inventories.

China should not claim Scarborough Shoal as they appear not to be the part of China but of Philippines. It is not that China is spreading hatred against Japan but you need to consider the history as well. Imperial Japanese forces have done some horrible things in Manchuria, and Chinese have not forgotten those atrocities.

Well jeez the Filipinos must have done something to piss them off to claim the Shoal. Perhaps it was Chinese historical territory?

Is that a fact? Because its closer to China?o_O You know many of our islands in the Pacific are closer to China as well instead of being close to U.S., does that mean it belongs to them?
Yes, that is exactly what it means. You have occupied those Islands. Just like Britain lays its claims on Falkland Islands, which actually belong to Argentine.

Well jeez the Filipinos must have done something to piss them off to claim the Shoal. Perhaps it was Chinese historical territory?
Being US puppets is good enough a reason to piss off Chinese.

@Oldman1 ,

The Jas Gripen is over priced for the Philippines, in my view. 1 unit is worth $69 million. The F-15 CD block is worth $30 million. I'm sure that it would benefit the PAF if it were to acquire the F-15, which is far more experienced, proven. The F-15 is an air superiority fighter, whereas the Jas Gripen is an over-priced, untested (in combat). The issue remains is the maintenance cost of these birds. We have to also be considerate of the Philippines' defense budget.

Japan_Air_Self_Defense_Force_F-15.jpg

f15se.jpg

F-15E+Strike+Eagle+Bagram+Air+Field+receives+fuel+KC-10+Extender%252C+908th+Expeditionary+Air+Refueling+Squadron%252C+air+refueling+mission+Operation+Enduring+Freedom+over+Afghanist+%25284%2529.jpg

This coming September, 2014 -- Japan Ministry of Defense will be conducting military arms sales talk with representatives of ASEAN countries -- about sale of Japanese air, ground, and naval inventories.

I would still recommend buying the F16 which is cheaper and low maintenance and still capable fighter that upgraded can still take on advance fighters of its enemies.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. You have occupied those Islands. Just like Britain lays its claims on Falkland Islands, which actually belong to Argentine.

So the U.S. islands now belong to China?

Have the Philippines (or at least, only Luzon and Visayas) become a US state sometime back in the 1930s (or at least an unincorporated territory even at present time), a situation like at present (China enforcing the 9-10 dash line) would be more dangerous...

Good to know. That explains its hostility with those countries in Asia.

I would still recommend buying the F16 which is cheaper and low maintenance and still capable fighter that upgraded can still take on advance fighters of its enemies.

I think 2 years ago when the Philippines' Ministry of Foreign Affairs Sec. Albert Del Rosario had met with U.S counterparts, they had discussed the sales of F-16s through Government to Government initiative. The cost and maintenance was too high, i think for them. However, it seems that they have increased their defense budget since then. They (Philippines) had purchased 12 units of the Korean FA-50 Eagles, which is based on the F-16 specs. If the Philippines is satisfied with the FA-50s, I'm sure they might consider getting the real thing -- the F-16.

If they can maintain an Air Fleet of : 12 F/A-50 Eagles, and perhaps a squadron of F-16s, or perhaps a squadron of F-15s, they will have the air defense capability needed to protect their air domain.

The Philippines, in my opinion, has the potential to maintain this. During the 1970s and early 1980s, they had an incredible Air Force. They boasted over 40 F-8 Phantoms, and three squadrons of F-5 Tiger IIs. They fielded the strongest Air Force in South East Asia.

I believe that they can do it again.

Have the Philippines (or at least, only Luzon and Visayas) become a US state sometime back in the 1930s (or at least an unincorporated territory even at present time), a situation like at present (China enforcing the 9-10 dash line) would be more dangerous...

Had that happened, the Philippines would have been far more modernized than most industrialized nations in the world. The Philippines would have been just like Guam , Puerto Rico. With all the people in your archipelago -- technically being U.S Citizens.

@Oldman1 The Jas Gripen is over priced for the Philippines, in my view. 1 unit is worth $69 million. The F-15 CD block is worth $30 million. I'm sure that it would benefit the PAF if it were to acquire the F-15, which is far more experienced, proven. The F-15 is an air superiority fighter, whereas the Jas Gripen is an over-priced, untested (in combat). The issue remains is the maintenance cost of these birds. We have to also be considerate of the Philippines' defense budget.

You got a point there. The Grippen is indeed overpriced, but I tend to agree with Oldman1 that F-16 would be a better option of PAF (I know we are talking about Philippines and not Pakistan) for it is relatively cheaper to maintain compared to F-15. Besides we need to see if US will approve the transfer of F-15s to Philippines if Philippines ever showed an interest in acquiring F-15s from Japan.

Regarding Grippen being untested in combat is not very correct to say. F-14/F-15/F-16/F-18 are combat proven against who, the poorly trained Iraqi, Libyan, Serbian pilots who were flying Russian relics.

Had that happened, the Philippines would have been far more modernized than most industrialized nations in the world. The Philippines would have been just like Guam , Puerto Rico. With all the people in your archipelago -- technically being U.S Citizens.

Nah, too much of a hassle. They fought hard during the Filipino-American War for independence and we suppressed it. Then in 1946, I believe that time the U.S. granted their independence. Many Americans also didn't want to annex it during that time when we took it from Spain.

Regarding Grippen being untested in combat is not very correct to say. F-14/F-15/F-16/F-18 are combat proven against who, the pathetic Iraqi, Libyan pilots who were flying Russian relics.

During both Gulf Wars, the F-15s proved their capability with 34 combat kills against Mig-29 fulcrums, Mig-25s, Mig-21s, and Mig-23s. They are proven Air Superiority Fighters.

Nah, too much of a hassle. They fought hard during the Filipino-American War for independence and we suppressed it. Then in 1946, I believe that time the U.S. granted their independence. Many Americans also didn't want to annex it during that time when we took it from Spain.

Correct, that is true. The United States also followed suit with its promise to grant them independence. Tho i am impressed in seeing that there were elements in the Philippines that had voiced union with the United States.

Oh really if that was true we would be armed with better weapons thats so far from the truth

Back
Top Bottom