What's new

Japan considers building its own fighter jets

Grippen has been proven pretty expensive to be maintained by a number of its operator including South African Air force, and Thai Air force. However, if the PAF thought it could maintain this fighter, than good for them. Grippen is definitely hell of a fighter.

Grippen is the cheapest to maintain and use compare to other western jet, that's their main selling point. AFAIK South African Air Force problem is race quota gone wrong. They fired all white technician and pilot, but at the same time no black replacement. As bonus, the private airlines pay better than SA Airforce.

Gripen operational cost lowest of all western fighters: Jane’s | StratPost

Japan can built a helicopter carrier which China has yet to do. So it shouldn't be hard to do that for an engine. They even built their own military transport plane.

With US assistance.

Even you're capable of making the spare parts, you think you can sell its without US permission thu enhance Japan influence in region, american will certainly not sitting idlely there. F-15J under Japanese pilot's hand can be challenge to China but under Pinoy's pilot's hand :lol: seriously something we need to test out before claiming to give them the "edge" in the region. And how Philippine is strategically value to Japan? unless you're referring to the first island chain :lol:

First chain oh that imperial BS of china talking about controling the area around the pacific good luck with that because the US Navy is still here plus piss off a alot of countries with your bull so that would be hard to enforce plus you guys cant even pass taiwan with your BS so if you cant do that your just arrogant pest of a threat but mind you imperial you are threat to world peace if you continue with 19th century style bs plans which that ship already sail so your way of thing is so out of date well you guys were only a country by name not on actuality on those days too bad for you guys. And plus we have resource here that can help Japan and we have a very strategic area here why do you think the US, Austrialia and the other countries you people manage to piss off are now talking to us now? so you shower me with mindless Maoist propaganda and talk about how better you guys are and how we are western orianted dogs we are but facts are facts its not my problem if you people are drone jerks take it as it is.

Yes comrade thats true! Comrade Nihonjin and again its good you guys are boosting your defense industry but you guys giving us F15s malabo yan (A bit blurry) one the planes are old two the DND wants new planes for the Airforce i think they dont want a repeat of the F8 which was a great plane a talk to many old vets of the airforce and most of them say that piloting the F8 was the best ever but the F8 was taken for the US navy surplus in fact next to france and the US we were the only country using F8s back then so again they dont wanna a repeat of that and other reason is we have no support facilities here for F15s but if Japan is willing to provided those things along with parts why not? Untill then its gonna cost us more to have your old planes so we have to buy new ones

Grippen is the cheapest to maintain and use compare to other western jet, that's their main selling point. AFAIK South African Air Force problem is race quota gone wrong. They fired all white technician and pilot, but at the same time no black replacement. As bonus, the private airlines pay better than SA Airforce.

Gripen operational cost lowest of all western fighters: Jane’s | StratPost

And let me add according to the recent talks with Saab they willing to provided addtional supports and items i guess simillar to what the Czech or the Thai's got from them

And let me add according to the recent talks with Saab they willing to provided addtional supports and items i guess simillar to what the Czech or the Thai's got from them
Good to hear that, somehow i like to follow the Philippine modernization news. :smitten:
Any info about when PAF going to start the bidding process for MRF?

First chain oh that imperial BS of china talking about controling the area around the pacific good luck with that because the US Navy is still here plus piss off a alot of countries with your bull so that would be hard to enforce plus you guys cant even pass taiwan with your BS so if you cant do that your just arrogant pest of a threat but mind you imperial you are threat to world peace if you continue with 19th century style bs plans which that ship already sail so your way of thing is so out of date well you guys were only a country by name not on actuality on those days too bad for you guys. And plus we have resource here that can help Japan and we have a very strategic area here why do you think the US, Austrialia and the other countries you people manage to piss off are now talking to us now? so you shower me with mindless Maoist propaganda and talk about how better you guys are and how we are western orianted dogs we are but facts are facts its not my problem if you people are drone jerks take it as it is.

Yes comrade thats true! Comrade Nihonjin and again its good you guys are boosting your defense industry but you guys giving us F15s malabo yan (A bit blurry) one the planes are old two the DND wants new planes for the Airforce i think they dont want a repeat of the F8 which was a great plane a talk to many old vets of the airforce and most of them say that piloting the F8 was the best ever but the F8 was taken for the US navy surplus in fact next to france and the US we were the only country using F8s back then so again they dont wanna a repeat of that and other reason is we have no support facilities here for F15s but if Japan is willing to provided those things along with parts why not? Untill then its gonna cost us more to have your old planes so we have to buy new ones

Whatever the case, pareng @Zero_wing , basta meron ang new acquisitions sa air units sa Philippine Air Force. We really want the Philippine Air Force to have a credible air fighter fleet. Be it FA-50s, JAS Gripen, F-16 o F-15J. I happen to have a fond affection for Filipino culture, Filipino society. We Japanese think very positively and highly of your people and nation. Very good and hard working folk, and kind.

PS. I'm basing my judgment from my many visits to Cebu, Iloilo and Manila. :)

Good to hear that, somehow i like to follow the Philippine modernization news. :smitten:
Any info about when PAF going to start the bidding process for MRF?

Its on 2015

Whatever the case, pareng @Zero_wing , basta meron ang new acquisitions sa air units sa Philippine Air Force. We really want the Philippine Air Force to have a credible air fighter fleet. Be it FA-50s, JAS Gripen, F-16 o F-15J. I happen to have a fond affection for Filipino culture, Filipino society. We Japanese think very positively and highly of your people and nation. Very good and hard working folk, and kind.

PS. I'm basing my judgment from my many visits to Cebu, Iloilo and Manila. :)

Good but then again i hope for the best for the Country anyway vist many more places like Quezon province, Cavite Laguna and Iloilo City, Bacolod nice places

I'm having doubts bout the gripen for the PAF because of its single engine. theres a reason why PAF use broncos to patrol WPS and not the s211.

Nihonjin Tag pila man ang inyong F-15s? suppose u sell us some (estimate)

Last edited:
I'm having doubts bout the gripen for the PAF because of its single engine. theres a reason why PAF use broncos to patrol WPS and not the s211.

Ya i know but i think the PAF is going air refueling here or island base strategy the Gripen was design for short run ways but if Japan is willing to give us the same contract as South Korea is giving us or even better why not and Comrade Nihonjin sorry for hijacking the Japanese post again gomenasai

Kamusta pareng @Ayan81 , ang cost sa isang Mitsubishi F-15J ay $30 million per plane. Pero, sure ko pwede ibibigay yan sa Pilipinas sa Friendship Price. Since Mitsubishi Heavy Industries operates this, we can easily produce new ones for the Philippines. I think the Philippine Air Force needs a variety of fighters. A squadron of Air Superiority Fighters like the F-15Js, and then keep 2 squadrons of the FA-50 Eagles, 2 squadron of F-16 Block 52s. These would render any foreign threat nill. Or at least make them think of entering your air space , else suffer significant losses. While we are here, the Philippine Army and Air Force should also invest in AAMs to be dispersed throughout the Military Commands in the Philippines. These , in conjunction with the Air Fleet -- would negate any foreign air threat. As for Philippine Navy is concerned, well, the Philippines is blessed with having a 'natural' aircraft carrier -- its many islands. Acquisition of ASMs to be placed throughout the Military Command Bases would effectively negate any naval threat. I mean, Philippines should consider Japanese Type 88 or Type 12 ASMs. Two batteries of Type 12s -- and placed in Pag-Asa can sink any foolhardy ship (frigate or destroyer) that would come too close. ;)

Type 88 ASM
JGSDF_Type88_SSM-02.jpg

JSDF+deploys+Type+88+land+based+mobile+anti-ship+missiles+launchers+in+Okinawa.jpg

PS. What part of the Philippines are you from ? :)

Ya i know but i think the PAF is going air refueling here or island base strategy the Gripen was design for short run ways but if Japan is willing to give us the same contract as South Korea is giving us or even better why not and Comrade Nihonjin sorry for hijacking the Japanese post again gomenasai

Walang Problema , i enjoy the lively discussion. ^^,

Kamusta pareng @Ayan81 , ang cost sa isang Mitsubishi F-15J ay $30 million per plane. Pero, sure ko pwede ibibigay yan sa Pilipinas sa Friendship Price. Since Mitsubishi Heavy Industries operates this, we can easily produce new ones for the Philippines. I think the Philippine Air Force needs a variety of fighters. A squadron of Air Superiority Fighters like the F-15Js, and then keep 2 squadrons of the FA-50 Eagles, 2 squadron of F-16 Block 52s. These would render any foreign threat nill. Or at least make them think of entering your air space , else suffer significant losses. While we are here, the Philippine Army and Air Force should also invest in AAMs to be dispersed throughout the Military Commands in the Philippines. These , in conjunction with the Air Fleet -- would negate any foreign air threat. As for Philippine Navy is concerned, well, the Philippines is blessed with having a 'natural' aircraft carrier -- its many islands. Acquisition of ASMs to be placed throughout the Military Command Bases would effectively negate any naval threat. I mean, Philippines should consider Japanese Type 88 or Type 12 ASMs. Two batteries of Type 12s -- and placed in Pag-Asa can sink any foolhardy ship (frigate or destroyer) that would come too close. ;)

Type 88 ASM
JGSDF_Type88_SSM-02.jpg

JSDF+deploys+Type+88+land+based+mobile+anti-ship+missiles+launchers+in+Okinawa.jpg

Well, the modernization of the whole Philippine military is to simply give the minimum defense capability though I just hope they don't stop there. We should really consider approaching other countries aside from US in buying weapons. If Japan would allow it then we may look into buying Japanese weapons; how heavy is a Type 74 MBT and can it be modified into modern standards?

Anyways, while we have options to approach other countries, I doubt we can approach China - why would they sell weapons if they are know the same weapons will be used against them, specially since China see us as a nuisance.

Type 88 ASM
JGSDF_Type88_SSM-02.jpg

Kumusta Bai. Im form Butuan CIty lower Cebu.

I respect Zero Wing's opinion on gripen but for me 1 squadron of FA-50, 1 squadron of FA-18 E/F and maybe this F-15J (1 squadron). About missiles and radars, the government is already in deep talks with israel

Back to topic, I hope to see F 35J's the near future.:chilli: Good Luck

Last edited:

Type 88 ASM
JGSDF_Type88_SSM-02.jpg

Yes we are investing its on part with our Navy upgrade and the Army artillery is now opting to get Anti ship and anti air missile launching platforms and Type 88 or Type 12 ASMs would make good candidates as i said before i would love to see Japanese arms along American, German, French, Korean British some Singaporean, Indonesian, Russian Arms used by the Philippines especially if the said countries would allow us to have all neeeded supports systems and lincense their products for our domestic use and perhaps royalties on joint sells to other countries but then again we have to face this said yet real reality one the Philippines Runs on very rationed very limited military budget due to many political factors namely the local chinese maoist drones of the country the so called Makapal i mean qoute and qoute makabayan daw alliance of political opportunist and due the Constitution itselft limits the military by giving priority to education and health which is ironic because we have few real good public schools and hospitals due to corruption and political opportunist like the maoist pest who parade themselves as the people champions and attack the US and the Government while supporting the real enemy of the Philippines china and using public funds to help the rag tag army they have to spread terror around uplifting the people ya right more like stop economic progress by making the provinces poor because no one will in their right mind invest in the areas were the maoist pest are present anyway getting off topic again going back sure i dont mind friendship price for the F15J but the current leadership wants new planes and less old planes and for the Figther they want bring back the golden age of the Airforce by buying planes like the Gripen which strong popular choice along new F15s i dont know if its the slient engle something close to or other younger airframe from America plane boneyard but i doubt it remember the F8 Crusaders we had i guess the top brass dont want a repeat of that were we buy the best plane in the market giving us some great capabilities but in the end put some natural disasters, stupid dession to buy a plane we can not even maintain and the pull out of the only people who knew who to maintain it and the means to help aka America with out building or cheeking the market for parts or replacement for said planes so yes as much as i wanna see F15s flying in the Air i have to ask is Japan willing to help build the need support systems like facilities, Joint training, spare parts, updgrades and modifications etc for the Philippines or do you have some reserve young airframes sitting somewhere? That we can use and be put up for service? If not we should just focus on the recent products Japan made that could be useful to us in the long run because again we dont want a repeat of the F8 or the other mistakes we made so far on military concerns like that new Tank type 10 or Maneuver combat vechile tank destoryer, type 86 APC or the type 82 and the 87 we need alot of those for both the Marines and the Army also the SAM weapons you guys have like type 81,91,93,03 along with some 87 anti air self propelled guns or Kawasaki OH-1 which could help with the army and navy air corp and the PAF those and along some howa type 96 automatic grenade launcher would make some great addition to the Philippines badly needed arsenal but if you ask me the best plane Japan could put on the table would be F2 its modern and you guys are planing to mass produce it, I mean why not its bigger than normal F16s and it could be modify for Philippine use i mean it would be a good tandem we have FA50s Korean LIFTs and Japanese F2 as frontline fighters. But this just my opinion base on what history has already told and teaches us and my know how on military affairs.

Again sorry for making @$$ long and salamat for allowing us to use your thread for our opinion but again this only my opinion and argument we really as much as i myself want to make some dession making am just a patriort not in government so i have no real power on the dession of the DND or PAF but thanks for allowing to comrade Nihonjin your brotherly love for us filipinos is just beautiful salamat ka Nihonjin. Mabuhay ka kapatid.

Back
Top Bottom