What's new

It's Official :: Sri Lanka rejects Pakistan's JF-17 and shows interest in India's LCA

And what about Turkey and Israel? :D
What about them?
Considering that the Bk-117 has a good reputation with its operators, there is nothing that would deter the Turkish Health services from getting 3 helicopters or the Israeli MoD taking 1.

Ecuador has a different opinion.

Do you expect serious after sale support from HAL, or any PSUs of India? These guys should stay away from exporting if they're not serious about it.

For IA, IN, Coast guard Dhruvs are absolutely a work horse.

Sonam3.JPG

Sonam2.JPG

hal3_2390553g.jpg

5inhLxz.jpg

440px-Dhruv_Commando_extraction.jpg

CdBjrsOUAAE7Od1.jpg

article-2735185-20D3DB7700000578-272_634x422.jpg

IwQkU1w.jpg

Tested in several different conditions, several different roles.

Even one of the first, if not the first helis, or aircraft in India to be inducted with a EW suite as well. And probably the first attack gun ship inducted since MIs.

Last edited:
Do you expect serious after sale support from HAL, or any PSUs of India? These guys should stay away from exporting if they're not serious about it.
Tested in several different conditions, several different roles.

Even one of the first, if not the first with an EW suite as well. And probably the first attack gun ship inducted since MIs.
http://indianmilnews.blogspot.com/2014/07/why-air-forces-dhruv-helicopters-crash.html
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...or-crash-prone-Dhruv/articleshow/49425469.cms
The more laughable bit having to hire consultants from outside to tell the OEM why their product keeps crashing.

latest

Seriously though, I highly doubt that Sri Lanka is actually interested in the tejas. Let's be honest, it's a platform that won't be ready for export until at least 2020; Meanwhile the JF-17, if they order now, will be ready to deliver by next year.

Nations are far more confident on JF-17, because it does have some experience in combat (air support operations), which is why both Nigeria and Myanmar are buying it. The Tejas has yet to even win the proper approval of the Indian air force, whom are still complaining about it.

The Tejas is a good, at least on paper, but I highly doubt that Sri Lanka would buy a plane that they won't get for another 3-4 years, with unproven capabilities.

Sure, just dont call the MBB/BK-117 II anything like indigenous or whatever.

It doesnt even look like the BK117. Let me know if HAL had to go through German bureaucracy when they created, modified 'their' design to
these:

Rudra%2Bhelicopter-gunship.jpg

ALH-10.jpg

Or completely redesign it into a dedicated gun ship off the platform -

lchindia_rocketslch1_hal.jpg

Or created a LUH off of the program

mWTMssd.jpg

509_420_1.jpg

They can do whatever they please with the platform, in the other hand, India had to go through Russians to put ACs on the T90.

Last edited:
Besides the composite materials, the JF-17 has everything that is required to match or best Tejas. The fellow has a tendency of parroting things without an iota of fact to them.
I have a question. Around the JF-17 airframe, there seem to be a lot of square and rectangle'ish segments, if these are metal, can they be swapped out for composite parts?

Regarding Tejas, I think @Oscar's point is really simple to understand. India had set the criteria for a functional 4th-gen lightweight multi-role fighter back in the early 1990s, and it had even managed to fly a prototype in 2001, and yet it is only inducting a serviceable system in 2016. That is a developmental period of 26 years!

Don't get me wrong, full credit to India for developing a sound industrial and R&D base in that timeframe, full credit, but should a program such as Tejas really have taken 26 years? What were the exact requirements being added to warrant continuous delays? It wasn't as if India was developing every single component and subsystem indigenously, it is still foreign-sourcing the radar, HMD/S, engine, and some of the munitions. India is a country with the capacity to pull in billions of dollars of high-tech imports, and it probably has a very high number of foreign vendors available to help it out if paid ... So, what happened? Could India have not separated the goal of building its general indigenous aviation capacity from pushing Tejas to fruition?

The defence sector is largely opened, the corporates are in. The MSMEs are being encouraged. The real, 'ecosystem', that's been tooted will be forming.

80% of the work load for Tejas will be given to the private sector. Modules like the fuselage, wings, etc. will be made by the likes of TATA, Mahindra, Reliance or competent MSMEs like Dynamic tech.

The days of HAL doing anything and everything, are slowing coming to an end. This will be fully leveraged in AMCA. Until this fully flushes out, I just dont care for exports.

Last edited:
Regarding Tejas, I think @Oscar's point is really simple to understand. India had set the criteria for a functional 4th-gen lightweight multi-role fighter back in the early 1990s, and it had even managed to fly a prototype in 2001, and yet it is only inducting a serviceable system in 2016. That is a developmental period of 26 years!

Don't get me wrong, full credit to India for developing a sound industrial and R&D base in that timeframe, full credit, but should a program such as Tejas really have taken 26 years? What were the exact requirements being added to warrant continuous delays? It wasn't as if India was developing every single component and subsystem indigenously, it is still foreign-sourcing the radar, HMD/S, engine, and some of the munitions. India is a country with the capacity to pull in billions of dollars of high-tech imports, and it probably has a very high number of foreign vendors available to help it out if paid ... So, what happened? Could India have not separated the goal of building its general indigenous aviation capacity from pushing Tejas to fruition?

Well the requirements was to win the world cup on the first appearance but alas that never happened!

Now if you could remember India was under severe sanctions and western countries ensured that India does not access certain critical technologies . So India started out developing every single one of them like engine (kaveri)..etc but given the local industry and technology was not mature enuf it did not yield the desired result. It was the same in space program where technologies like cryogenic was denied India had to strive hard to get it but it takes time.

We are not defending the bad record, we are only emphasizing that given the situation India was in thats the best we could get. Yes there is a lot of room for improvement but it wont happen overnight.
Yes 26 years is long time but dont look at it simple figure break it down you will see the economic issues and sanctions. In 1991 india was nearly bankrupt and sanctions due to 1998 nuclear tests. Of the 26 years only 10 years might have been productive.

Now developing a product from scratch is very tough, its not as if other countries have not gone through such thing.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...er-chopper-fears/story-e6frg6n6-1226530364627

Whilst I'm skeptical (to say the least) about any talk of export interest for the LCA. The Israeli content is a non-issue as the Python can be replaced by the R-73E (already intergrated on the LCA) and the Derby with the R-77 (or Astra in the long term). Furthermore, Egypt presents an interesting scenerio because remember they have the Rafale now and with the Rafale coming to India also with a lot of industrial partnerships perhaps the Egyptians are thinking they can get the LCA with some complimentary features/components for their own Rafales (if the AASM is coming for the LCA maybe the DAMOCLES pod can be offered for export with the LCA in place of the LITENING LDP)?

Again, I am VERY skeptical but it would be interesting if HAL/MoD could think along these lines, perhaps marketing the LCA as the Rafale's "little brother" (like how the Mirage 2000 is employed by the FrAF) for all existing (and future) Rafale operators (Egypt, Qatar, Malaysia etc). The Indian market would naturally be the catalyst for this and there is certainly the scope to do this, what is/could be lacking is the vision.

@PARIKRAMA @Taygibay @Picdelamirand-oil @dadeechi @ni8mare @Omega007 @MilSpec
Does HAL has made any indigenous radar for Tejas that could replace existing Israel radar.??

Media farts. Lets wait till we see something absolutely official.

Lets not be like certain people who said JF-17 was a done deal prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom