What's new

It's Official :: Sri Lanka rejects Pakistan's JF-17 and shows interest in India's LCA

Its quite amazing that a platform which has not been even deployed by the local air force has potential buyers lining up.

From this point of view, it seems India is a very big aircraft manufacturing country so much so that it has gained trust of world in aviation technology over generations. Therefore buyers want to buy an untested platform hot off the shelf.

This is just propaganda news and nothing. Remember Sri Lanka and Egypt were the first two countries to show interest in JF-17.

I guess that's what HAL and ADA have been saying for the last 20 odd years. :lol:
Actually comprehension issue.

Or imagine the way we say it in Urdu - jaldee kiyaa hai. Thats the attitude!! lol

1_img123416110502.jpg

Sri Lanka has expressed interest in purchasing India’s Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, an indigenously built fighter jet which had been in the making for several years, an Indian report said last week. Sri Lanka had recently rejected Pakistan’s JF-17 aircraft built with Chinese help, while Egypt had last year signed a contract for 24 French-made Rafale fighter jets.

The Press Trust of India reported that Sri Lanka, apart from Egypt is interested in the current version of the Tejas and not the upgraded one which will be rolled out later.

However, state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the manufacturer of Tejas, is focusing on delivering the aircraft to the IAF first.

"While there is an interest which has been shown (by other countries), let us get the product first to our own customer. The confidence that will come to others when our own Air Force flies it will be immense. So at first, we should at least meet the initial requirement of the IAF," HAL chairman T Suvarna Raju told PTI.

Refusing to share information on which are the countries that have evinced interest in Tejas, he expressed confidence in his marketing team and said they are equipped to take forward the talks. However, Defence sources said that the two countries which have evinced interest in Tejas were Sri Lanka and Egypt.

He said the "current version is more than enough" for smaller nations.

Two things that go in favour of the Tejas are its lower cost and flying ability.

"We have proved its flying ability and the aircraft, for that class, is a terrific one. We did take some time but we need to remember that DRDO and us did everything from the scratch," Raju said.

Raju said that the upgraded version of Tejas, with Active Electrically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar, Unified Electronic Warfare (EW) Suite, mid-air refuelling capacity and beyond the vision range missiles, will cost between Rs 275 crore and Rs 300 crore.

Sources said enquiries by foreign countries came during the Bahrain air show in January, the first time that Tejas flew outside the country.

Source : http://www.defencenews.in/article/I...s-JF-17-and-shows-interest-in-Indias-LCA-4539

======================
EDIT: GENERAL WARNING

FOR ALL MEMBERS SPECIALLY PAKISTANIS
read this part ....

no troll war or flamebait will be tolerated
I think it is old news.
Now Sri Lankan are in great Bargain position now they can buy Tejas on cheap price,
and
what is the time period for completion of this deal are DRDO able to delivered to both IAF and Sri Lanka .

But How Can Egypt use this LCA against Israel i think tejas have Israeli technology.

yes you are right, but these problems will be fixed as platform matures. and Its actually good for our JF-17 Thunder program that Tejas evolve to some extent.
Atleast by that time JFT would have some Competition,till now JFT is cheaper and very reliable,SLAF has no real threat from another air force but has an ever emerging threat of Tamil Tigers for that they need a precision fighter/bomber aircraft which is cheap and fires a variety of A2G munition.PAF is already using JFT for counter terrorism in South Waziristan and has proven its worth against ground targets.Just wait and see for the Block 3 With AESA and newer WS-13 engine it will come at par with the medium weight multi role fighter and have always an upper hand on tejas.

Sri Lanka has expressed interest in purchasing India’s Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, an indigenously built fighter jet which had been in the making for several years, an Indian report said last week. Sri Lanka had recently rejected Pakistan’s JF-17 aircraft built with Chinese help, while Egypt had last year signed a contract for 24 French-made Rafale fighter jets.

Sri Lankan media reports that it will be an open bidding on merit basis..not a direct contract...

I think it is old news.
Now Sri Lankan are in great Bargain position now they can buy Tejas on cheap price,
and
what is the time period for completion of this deal are DRDO able to delivered to both IAF and Sri Lanka .

But How Can Egypt use this LCA against Israel i think tejas have Israeli technology.

Egypt is a regular customer for the K8 and Super Mushak with local assembly line.

Last edited by a moderator:
LCA can fire Laser Guided Bombs and has fired R 73 E several times
Along with Pave way and Griffin LGBs

What more does Sri Lanka needs at this point

Sri Lanka is looking at a Long term prospect ; all little kinks
are getting ironed out

The Advantages of Tejas are HEAVY

1 Full Fly by wire
2 Glass cockpit
3 US GE 404 engine with full FADEC
4 plane is made of Composite materials
5 A modern Elta radar
6 HOBS + HMDS
7 Litening Targetting pods

( Your WMD 7 has been officially rejected by PAF
PAF wants Damocles )

And DASH helmets

If I am to consider, I would say that all modern fighter planes have Fly-by-Wire and are unable to keep flying without it. Glass cockpit and composite materials is also common. @Oscar is more well versed in the nitty gritty of aeroplanes and I feel is thus better placed to comment.

If I am to consider, I would say that all modern fighter planes have Fly-by-Wire and are unable to keep flying without it. Glass cockpit and composite materials is also common. @Oscar is more well versed in the nitty gritty of aeroplanes and I feel is thus better placed to comment.
Besides the composite materials, the JF-17 has everything that is required to match or best Tejas. The fellow has a tendency of parroting things without an iota of fact to them.

Besides the composite materials, the JF-17 has everything that is required to match or best Tejas. The fellow has a tendency of parroting things without an iota of fact to them.

Despite the composites JF17 is still lighter than Tejas.
Beside an all composite design has not been battle proven so far...they are primarily used in civilian aviation such as aircraft tail is usually made of composites...Indian engineering is like soviets..they set up a massive all-in-one goal rather than a progressive approach of getting something working and then improving upon it..

head-to-head.gif

Sir, as ever I am indebted to you for your prompt response.

Most important factor according to you OR according to the Srilankan or Egyptian Airforce.

Thanks, but may be they don't follow your THEORY.

They might not, or they might. I guess time will tell.

By the way, its not entirely a theory. This is not a game that you can look up on kickstarter, and then pledge $50 for. These are multi-million dollar defence initiatives that will define the security of nations for several decade and therefore decisions are taken more tentatively than some people seem to believe.
Pakistan's reassessment of the J-10 and India's hold up on the Rafael are testament to that fact.

Sir, as ever I am indebted to you for your prompt response..
As both you and I well know, the situation here was NEVER which aircraft is superior as an overall package(maintenance and reliability included) but rather who can get the most pressure in diplomatically.

Sri Lanka is India's backyard in the most analogous of senses. We all know how absolutely crazy we go if we get a foreign particle in our backyards; everything and anything must be done to scratch the sucker out.

Sri Lanka is India's backyard in the most analogous of senses. We all know how absolutely crazy we go if we get a foreign particle in our backyards; everything and anything must be done to scratch the sucker out.

That thought of India declaring it was considering withholding $200 Million in much needed aid comes to Srilanka comes to mind.

Egypt is ruled out because of Israeli technology

Sri Lanka must have compared the two planes and found that LCA has
many better features than JF 17

Off course they are not, they know pretty well who they are dealing with.......LOL

Sri Lanka is in NO hurry

They have NO threat at all ; and we have given them free Mig 27

They are planning for future
they will use the LCA for 25 years ; so what is the hurry

The Under Lined Part Addressed of Time frame IOC Standard At 2013 in Relation Due not Present of FTS So the problem is temporary these issues will be Addressed And the Aircraft in Question are PV-series Aircrafts if go Back to Page -39 of CAG Audit Report
The LCA is Due For Final Operation Clearance in 2016 Itself these Issues will be addressed

6 HOBS + HMDS (Nothing is integrated yet not even fighter it self)
7 Litening Targetting pods (plug n play sol are available)
ADA-Tejas Brochure-2015 - Copy-page-005.jpg

ADA-Tejas Brochure-2015 - Copy-page-013.jpg

ADA-Tejas Brochure-2015 - Copy-page-006.jpg

Any other Clarification

Despite the composites JF17 is still lighter than Tejas.
Beside an all composite design has not been battle proven so far...they are primarily used in civilian aviation such as aircraft tail is usually made of composites...Indian engineering is like soviets..they set up a massive all-in-one goal rather than a progressive approach of getting something working and then improving upon it..

p
head-to-head.gif

Pretty Out dated data

ADA-Tejas Brochure-2015 - Copy-page-004.jpg

More At
http://www.tejas.gov.in/ADA-Tejas Brochure-2015.pdf

Last edited:
When ..... ???
CAG Report Mentioned that Issues will be addressed during FOC,
The underlined Part Clearly Mentioned that Air HQ ASR was Reduced For IOC Standard LCA in 2013 Due to Lack FTS for LSP .Since then Lot of things Have Been Moved You can't Get all By Reading Audit report there Lot Stuff Left in that
If you follow Air chief the IAF is More or Less Satisfied with LCA
Its Temporary Issue Much Like faulty Landing gear Issue. HAL is Moved to Production of SP series LCA
Most Of the Issued will been addressed
LCA is Moving Toward FOC this Year And the 1st LCA Squadrons is Commissioning in IAF At Sulur Air Force Station,Banglore

Back
Top Bottom