What's new

Is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan better than Lata Mangeshkar?

No they don't. Lata's songs are on their lips. If I ask someone from my neighborhood if they know Nusrat, they will say Nusrat who?

absolutely, her songs are so meaning and she made them look so easy. effortless singing.

Being from the south I relate to Latha more and often foud NFAK noisy (no offense) and Jagjit cant Singh :lol: (again no offense).
Latha is more my kind of music.

The arif lohar song is the best one to come out of coke studio as of yet.....................

If that is their best and for you they are better than Indian songs, then you know why we are in Kali Yuga. Everything is supposed to go haywire and falsehood and senselessness is supposed to prevail.

WHat was sad that earlier both Jagjit and his wife Chitra used to sing together . They were like yin and yang . Death of their only son broke chitra's heart so deeply that she completely stopped singing . Jagit OTOH became deeper as a singer connecting with his pain .

There is this ghazal by Chitra Singh called "Ap ko bhool jayen hum...itnay to bewafaa nahin".The same ghazal was sung by Mehdi Hassan but Chitra nailed it.Her voice is...divine

Regarding the comparison between Lataji and Nusrat.Only someone who is musically illiterate would do the blasphemy of putting the name of the pride of subcontinent Lata Mangeshkar in the same line as that of the lunatic nusrat.However I personally like Muhammad Rafi.
There was this song "Lag Ja Gale" from the movie Woh Kaun Thi which was released somewhere around 1963.It was shot on Sadhna and Manoj Kumar.Lata's heavenly voice and Sadhna's beauty make it easily one of the best picturized songs in the history of world cinema.

No I do not. I have never heard people play Nusrat's song on festivals either. You know, come Ganesha or some other big celebration days when the local boys put up pandals and have their loudspeakers in full blast blaring Bollywood beats, for the last couple of years they just do not play any new movie songs. No one wants to listen to those. It is always songs from early 2000 to before that. Even when I was in Bombay, I never heard them playing Nusrat's songs.

:woot::disagree::lol:

Being from the south I relate to Latha more and often foud NFAK noisy (no offense) and Jagjit cant Singh :lol: (again no offense).
Latha is more my kind of music.

May be it is the population explosion up North, they cannot live without cacophony and mistake that for music.

There is this ghazal by Chitra Singh called "Ap ko bhool jayen hum...itnay to bewafaa nahin".The same ghazal was sung by Mehdi Hassan but Chitra nailed it.Her voice is...divine

Regarding the comparison between Lataji and Nusrat.Only someone who is musically illiterate would do the blasphemy of putting the name of the pride of subcontinent Lata Mangeshkar in the same line as that of the lunatic nusrat.However I personally like Muhammad Rafi.
There was this song "Lag Ja Gale" from the movie Woh Kaun Thi which was released somewhere around 1963.It was shot on Sadhna and Manoj Kumar.Lata's heavenly voice and Sadhna's beauty make it easily one of the best picturized songs in the history of world cinema.

I posted the video.

This is one of the few songs of Jagjit singh that I like...

If that is their best and for you they are better than Indian songs, then you know why we are in Kali Yuga. Everything is supposed to go haywire and falsehood and senselessness is supposed to prevail.
53499554.jpg

I like both. Some days it's ustaad NFAK sahab, some days it's Lata ji and some day it's Disturbed. :-)
They both are legends in what they did/do. Different people will have different opinions on who is better IMO. To me it would be NFAK sahab. BTW, one of Freddie Mercury's initial inspiration was Lata Mangeshkar.:yahoo:

Arre appreciating something is not a bad thing at all

They created magic. Till today, if the songs play on the radio and I am doing some household chore, there is so much of peace and joy to those songs, time kab gaya pata hi nahi chal tha hai.

Arre appreciating something is not a bad thing at all

I try to be honest. I had a casette of Gulam Ali which I used to listen to repeatedly because it was intoxicating in a way. I did the same with Nusrat's tere bin nai lagda by continuously playing it for days together because the music stuck to my head and heart. But for the rest of it, they are just screaming and screeching.

Also boys ...Yesterday and today we had what was called the "Super Moon" in Lahore and other parts of Pakistan.Couln't help but listen to Rafi's Chawdhvin ka Chand ho ya Aftaab ho.
One cant belieive that the song was released in 1960....still as popular as it was then both in India and Pakistan..So romantic !

Back
Top Bottom