What's new

Is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan better than Lata Mangeshkar?

The entire movie was shot in black and white and only this song was shot in colour.It turns out that the Indian Censor Board banned the colour version of this song because of Waheeda Rehman's bright red lips saying that it would result in "lustful implications for the audience"
Oh what a time that was !

sadhana was there in the movie not wahida.. you must be talking about some other movie.

Yup. I see the same attitude with youngsters here too. It is trash out there now. I hate to see Bollywood movies anymore.
The problem is that i am myself a youngster ...im 21 :) but my father exposed me to classy bollywood from a very young age..I remember him singing Dewana Hua Badal Sawan ki Ghata Chayi from the Shammi Kapoor film Kashmir Ki Kali

during golden era, our strength was beautiful lyrics, but now we are making great music but with trash lyrics.

I am doubtful about great music too. They sure make complicated music, but I wont call it great music. All technique, no soul. Nothing for the ears.

Waste of time. If you want to compare NFAK, you should compare him with Pandit Bhimsen , Pandit Jashraj, Inayat Khan etc and not Lata Mangeskar.

You are comparing a great classical singer with a great non-classical/popular singer and then discarding the later telling that she is a popular and do not have classical base. Do you compare Kishori Amonkar or Shubha Mudhgal or Kousiki Chakraborty with Lata Mangeshkar.? If such comparison happens then even my sister who is a classical trained is a better singer than Lata Mangeshkar!!!! They belong to two different genre , and cannot be compared.

Manna Dey had a great classical base but Md Rafi was more soothing and popular. Both have their own fan followers. On the other hand the immensely popular Hemant Kumar/Kishore Kumar never had a classical training at all but they had a god gifted voice. Want to remind you that our folk songs which are songs of common people and lasted for thousands years are not classical routine based, no vocal jugglery is there. There are straight from common people's heart

There is wrong perception that Lata is a film singer only. But she did many basic songs in various language including Hindi and Bengali. Many basic songs later adopted in Hindi movies.

example : Lata Mangeshkar - Bengali & Hindi versions - YouTube
O Mor Moyna Go - Original - Lata Mangeshkar.... - YouTube
hothat bhishon bhalo lagchhe - YouTube

In short, I do not believe that classical base/training is a mandatory parameter for being a good singer. SD Burman who was a great classical singer bur extremely successful popular music director told that he had to unlearn classical music to be able to direct music which would be popular and can be easily sung by most common people

For an example I would like to present a song by a great untrained voice (Hemant Kumar) singing in the tune of SD Burman ( A classical Musician)

Jane Woh Kaise Log The - Guru Dutt, Hemant Kumar, Pyaasa Song - YouTube

Sunil Gavaskar/Jaheer Abbas should not be compared with Sanath Jaysurya/Kapil Dev. Although , as a Batsman all of them equally served the Game of cricket to a great extent

Last edited:
The problem is that i am myself a youngster ...im 21 :) but my father exposed me to classy bollywood from a very young age..I remember him singing Dewana Hua Badal Sawan ki Ghata Chayi from the Shammi Kapoor film Kashmir Ki Kali

Aww that is reassuring to hear. Your father did a good job. Now you have an ear for good music, but he ruined your friendship quotient. Now you can never agree with your friends as to what good music is. LOL.

Waste of time. If you want to compare NFAK, you should compare him with Pandit Bhimsen , Pandit Jashraj, Inayat Khan etc and not Lata Mangeskar.
You are comparing a great classical singer with a great non-classical/popular singer and then discarding the later telling that she is a popular and do not have classical base. Do you compare Kishori Amonkar or Shubha Mudhgal or Kousiki Chakraborty with Lata Mangeshkar.? If such comparison happens then even my sister who is a classical trained is a better singer than Lata Mangeshkar!!!! They belong to two different genre , and cannot be compared.
Manna Dey had a great classical base but Md Rafi was more soothing and popular. Both has their own fan followers. On the other hand the immensely popular Hemant Kumar/Kishore Kumar never had a classical training at all but they had a god gifted voice.
There is wrong perception that Lata is a film singer only. But she did many basic songs in various language including Hindi and Bengali. Many basic songs later adopted in Hindi movies.
In short, I do not believe that classical base/training is a mandatory parameter for being a good singer. SD Burman who was a great classical singer bur extremely successful popular music director told that he had to unlearn classical music to be able to direct music which would be popular and can be easily sung by most common people
For an example I would like to present a song by a great untrained voice (Hemant Kumar) singing in the tune of SD Burman ( A classical Musician)

Jane Woh Kaise Log The - Guru Dutt, Hemant Kumar, Pyaasa Song - YouTube

Sunil Gavaskar/Jaheer Abbas should not be compared with Sanath Jaysurya/Kapil Dev. Although , as a Batsman all of them equally served the Game of cricket to a great extent

Lata mangeshkar trained under her father. So she could sing classical. Only due to financial reasons she came into playback singing and never looked back.

Alo
tera mera pyaar amar.. fir kyun mujko lagta hai darr.

oops i thought you posted the other song..sorry

Lata mangeshkar trained under her father. So she could sing classical. Only due to financial reasons she came into playback singing and never looked back.
Lata Mangeshkar used to copy Noor Jehan the early stages of her career when Noor Jehan was the main singer in the industry but it changed after partition as Lata had the might of India and its magnificint lyricists and composers to back her up while Noor Jehan suffered tremendously as a result of her decision to move to Pakistan.It would have been great for music if noor jehan had stayed in India

The great Naushad also says the same thing and he even went as far as saying that Noor Jehan was better than Lata ...

Last edited:
Also as it is the rainy season ...How can one forget ...Sawan ka Mahina Pawan Kare Sor by Lata and Mukesh from the movie Milan released in 1967....Here are the translated lyrics

M=Mukesh, L=Lata

M: Saawan ka mahina, pawan kare sor
L: Sawan ka mahina, pawan kare shor
M: Mm hmm. Pawan kare "sor"
L: Pawan kare sor
M: Arey baba, shor nahin! Sor! Sor! "Sooorrr..."
L: Pawan kare SOOORRR...
M: Haan! Jiyara re jhoome aise, jaise banma naache mor...
M: It's the month of showers; the breezes create a noise (sor)
L (Mispronouncing word): It's the month of showers; the breezes create a noise (shor)
M (Making sound for 'no' and correcting her): No, it's, "The breezes create a 'sor'"
L (Mispronouncing it again): The breeze creates a "shor..."
M (Getting cross): No no! It's not "shor," it's Sor! Sor! "SOOORR!"
L (Getting it right): The breeze creates a "SOORR..."
M: Yesss! ...The heart dances just as a peacock dances in the forest...M: Saawan ka mahina pawan kare sor. Jiyara re jhoome aise, jaise banma naache mor
L: Saawan ka mahina pawan kare sor. Jiyara re jhoome aise, jaise banma naache mor
M: It's the monsoon season; the winds create a noise. The heart dances just as a peacock dances in the forest.
L: It's the monsoon season; the winds create a noise. The heart dances just as a peacock dances in the forest.

M: Rama gajab dhaae yeh purwaiyyaa
L: Naiya sambhalo kit khoye ho khiwaiyyaa
M: Oy, Purwaiyya ke aage chale na koi zor, jiyara re jhoome aise, jaise banmaa naache mor
M: Lord, how rough is this western wind
L: Take hold of the boat; are you lost, rower?
M: Hey, no one can stand a chance against this western wind. The heart dances just as a peacock dances in the forest
L/M: Sawan ka mahina...

L: Maujhwa kare kya jaane humko ishaara
M: Jaana kahan hai poochhe nadiya ki dhaara
L: Marzi hai tumhaari le jaao jis or. Jiyara re jhoom mere aise re, jaise banmaa naache mor...
L: Who understands what the waves are saying as they gesture to us.
M: "Where are you going?" asks the stream to the river
L: It is your wish; let us go in any direction. My heart dances with joy, just as a peacock dances in the forest...

M/L: Sawan ka mahina...

L:
Jinke balam bairi gaye hain bideswa
Aayi hain leke unke pyar ka sandeswa
Taari matwaari ghataaye ghan ghor
Jiyara re jhoome aise, jaise banmee naache mor
Those unfeeling lovers have gone far away
They have brought with them a message of love:
The dark tremendous rain clouds
The heart dances with joy, just as a peacock dances in the forest
Sawan ka mahina pawan kare sor
Jiyara re jhoome aise, jaise banmaa naache mor
Jiyara re jhoom mere aise re, jaise banmaa naache morIt's the monsoon season; the winds create a noise.
The heart dances with joy, just as a peacock dances in the forest.My heart dances with joy, just as a peacock dances in the forest.

Alo

oops i thought you posted the other song..sorry

Lata Mangeshkar used to copy Noor Jehan the early stages of her career when Noor Jehan was the main singer in the industry but it changed after partition as Lata had the might of India and its magnificint lyricists and composers to back her up while Noor Jehan suffered tremendously as a result of her decision to move to Pakistan.It would have been great for music if noor jehan had stayed in India

The great Naushad also says the same thing and he even went as far as saying that Noor Jehan was better than Lata ...

Singing in nasal tone was prevalent then. Kishore Kumar had that problem when he joined playback singing. His brother Ashok Kumar told him he could never make it big because he could not sing like Saigal.

Singing in nasal tone was prevalent then. Kishore Kumar had that problem when he joined playback singing. His brother Ashok Kumar told him he could never make it big because he could not sing like Saigal.
Well the one man who could sing exactly like Saigal was the tragedy king Mukesh.I read in one of Mukesh's biographies that once Saigal was listening to a Mukesh song ..He said "Thats strange,I dont remember recording it" :))

Back
Top Bottom