What's new

Is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan better than Lata Mangeshkar?

That first song, Ae dil e nadan is so wonderful.

Indeed, one of my favorites! Wonderful composition and rendition, understanding the lyrics is bit difficult though, I had to consult lexicon for some words.

NFAK cannot be compared with Lata since he was a Qawwal ...Both has given the souls something pure to feed on ...my salute to both !

Nay, he wasn't barely a Qawal - he could sing other genres as well.

I don't. Your definition of variation is slightly skewed. Just certain pattern of tonal modulation is not all of the variation in music.

Lata mangeshkars melodies quality in her voice, her tonal spectrum and expressiveness of her voice in her hay days was unparalleled. Even her Lukka Chuppi in rang de basanti was incredible good.

@Oscar , disrespecting Led Zep should be a lifetime ban ;)

I agree. You do not say anything to Led Zepplin or Nirvana.

Nope it was trash too............most of the music was copied from western bands.
Only live singing can tell u how much good a singer really is.

The major drawback of lata is that she is nowhere near nusrat technically

That was the case with many early songs, there was a famous Indian composer who had massive Electronic Intelligence catergory radio equipment installed in his studio so he could catch all the tunes from Europe which he would remake.

However, one cannot compare the Tamber of Lata to that of NFK. For one thing, I finds Nusrat's pronouciations too wordy.. he has no differentiation between the sounds by Q and K(in our respective languages). Everything is a Q to him.

For serious aficionados, there was another singer of early years fame who had an even BETTER voice than Lata. But her career was literally sabotaged by the sisters and their efforts.

I agree. You do not say anything to Led Zepplin or Nirvana.

That was the case with many early songs, there was a famous Indian composer who had massive Electronic Intelligence catergory radio equipment installed in his studio so he could catch all the tunes from Europe which he would remake.

However, one cannot compare the Tamber of Lata to that of NFK. For one thing, I finds Nusrat's pronouciations too wordy.. he has no differentiation between the sounds by Q and K(in our respective languages). Everything is a Q to him.

For serious aficionados, there was another singer of early years fame who had an even BETTER voice than Lata. But her career was literally sabotaged by the sisters and their efforts.

I submit man
Just don't ban me............i will be a zepellin fan from today:cry:

I submit man
Just don't ban me............i will be a zepellin fan from today:cry:

Oh no, that is not your punishment. You are to be forced to have Sushi WITH Pau Bhaji. Which you will then dip in Ketchup and that too of the desi variety in which it is 80% water and 20% some sort of corn syrup and tomato flavour.

Oh no, that is not your punishment. You are to be forced to have Sushi WITH Pau Bhaji. Which you will then dip in Ketchup and that too of the desi variety in which it is 80% water and 20% some sort of corn syrup and tomato flavour.

As u command master.........i will get paulson(desi sauce) and complete this task entrusted upon me:agree:

Every day of the week for 52 weeks a year.

Indeed, one of my favorites! Wonderful composition and rendition, understanding the lyrics is bit difficult though, I had to consult lexicon for some words.

I just love all the songs of that movie, though my understanding of urdu is much weaker than yours.

yes, coming from the Patiala Gharana, he was a master of classical music

Even Usha despite of her melodious voice couldn't earn fame because of other two sisters. Which singer are you talking about btw?

No.... He doesn't belong to Patiala Gharana.

Nusrat had nothing to do with patiala gharana, his family have always been Qawwals for centuries and they were from Jalandhar, his relatives are also famous qawwals like Badar Miandad and Sher miandad. And good Qawwals are always sound in the understanding of music and ragas.

Last edited:
Beautiful !
You could listen to that song I posted?

He originally was a Qawal ....I never knew he was rapper as well :dance3:

Nusrat had nothing to do with patiala gharana, his family have always been Qawwals for centuries and they were from Jalandhar, their relatives are also famous qawwals like Badar Miandad and Sher miandad.

No his family was always linked with them. His father was also a famous qawwal in Patiala. They were all linked together in music learnng from each other. And music is beyond any sectarianism or racism.

Here is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in Raag Mala

He was a master of most of classical music

@Emmie

Nusrat had nothing to do with patiala gharana, his family have always been Qawwals for centuries and they were from Jalandhar, his relatives are also famous qawwals like Badar Miandad and Sher miandad. And good Qawwal are always sound in the understanding of music and raags.

Yes he was from my city...........yahoooooooooo:pleasantry:

No his family was always linked with them. His father was also a famous qawwal in Patiala. They were all linked together in music learnng from each other. And music is beyond any sectarianism or racism.

Here is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in Raag Mala

He was a master of most of classical music

@Emmie

Very right he could sing Khayal, Tarana, Qaul, etc.... When we say Gharana we actually refer to a particular school of singing. Patilala Gharana is famous for Khayal singing not for Qawalis, Ustad fateh Ali Khan is living legend who hails from Patiala gharana.

Back
Top Bottom